Shoot'n stakes

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Has anyone tried the Shoot'n Stake target holders that Dillon sells?
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=68&min=0&dyn=1&

I thought about giving it a try, but I'm concerned that being so low to the ground, it might encourage deflections over the berm, unless you were careful to set the device close to the backstop, rather than yards and yards in front of it.

I don't see why you don't make one yourself.

hell just a peice of scrap lumber cut to a point with a peice of ply-board nailed to it. make it whatever hight you want....and shoot the b'jesus out of it....what are you out? Nothing if you got the parts from a dumpster!

Len just gave me a wooden chair somebody dumped in his yard. I intend to drop it in the middle of a sand pit, staple targets to it....and keep shooting till I can't find it! [smile]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

My plan is to order a few, then once I see how they're made, build them myself for my own use.
Looks to be nothing more than a stake that can be pushed into the ground with a clip on the top that holds target backing material. I just need to see what the device is that holds the target backers. Maybe steel bent like a clip, maybe theres a spring, won't know till I get a few.
I was hoping someone here had input on how they work so i'd know how to build em w/out ordering.[grin]
Where I shoot it gets crowded sometimes. If the target stands are all being used, it'd be great to be able to set up a few small out of the way target holders like these so I wouldn'thave to wait for shooters to give up a target stand.

Who cares? I mean isn't this a case of trying to build a better moustrap?

Just a peice of sheetmetal cut into a stake (bend it for strenth) and a bolt with a wing-nut so you won't need to use a wrench...

Dunno, just seems like rocket science to me.

-Weer'd Beard

Milsurps 4 Me said:
My plan is to order a few, then once I see how they're made, build them myself for my own use.
Looks to be nothing more than a stake that can be pushed into the ground with a clip on the top that holds target backing material. I just need to see what the device is that holds the target backers. Maybe steel bent like a clip, maybe theres a spring, won't know till I get a few.
I was hoping someone here had input on how they work so i'd know how to build em w/out ordering.[grin]
Where I shoot it gets crowded sometimes. If the target stands are all being used, it'd be great to be able to set up a few small out of the way target holders like these so I wouldn'thave to wait for shooters to give up a target stand.
Why doesn't your range have enough stands?

JonJ said:
Why doesn't your range have enough stands?

I shoot at Sipican in Rochester. Its pretty small with 3 diferent target ranges. One 25 yards for pistol, one 50 yards for any targets, and one at 100 yards for paper targets only. The stands are frames set in steel stock thats cemented into the ground. The pistol range has 6, the 50 yard only has 4, and the 100 yard has 10.
With the 50 yard range being the most popular, its also the smallest (go figure). Two shooters with two targets each, and its full. If I want to sight something in at 50, then shoot for precision at 100, or shoot 22 cal rifles at 50 yards, i'd like to be able to do so and having a Shoot'n Stake target stand would allow me to without having to ask someone to give up a stand.
I shoot there because its usually not crowded and its close to home at about 15 mins.

Ah Ok. Too bad there's not enough.
At Plymouth we have a system where two 2X12's (spaced the width of strapping) are set into the ground on edge. The target stands are made out strapping and slip right in. They're set at 25, 50, 100 & 200 yds. We have enough for every station, 20 something.

Back
Top Bottom