Short(ish) tower

Not HAM but I'm hoping to lean on your experience and/or expertise.

Cut the cord several years ago and put an antenna up on the roof. Currently using a 10' conduit cranked onto a 5' non-penetrating mount (three feet of overlap so about 12' tall). It has worked well up to this point with a Wineguard 9032 UHF and an AntennaCraft ST2.

With the lack of VHF high on the 9032, I am in the market for a new antenna so the missus can catch Fox football. While I'm up there, I was thinking of putting up something "sturdier" which I could hang the antennas off of. I was also hoping to get a little closer to 20' to the top as I'm quite a ways away from the broadcast towers.

I'm in a triple decker with a flat rubber roof so using lags to the joists isn't an option. I'm OK with lugging cinder blocks up and creating aa wooden "platform" of sorts.

So, with that said, is there anything like a 15' tower with two anchor points on the platform that will allow me to tilt it for antenna mounting with a third anchor point to keep it from swaying in the wind?

Rohn towers is a popular brand in the ham hobby. They have a fold over base for the Rohn 25 series, which is the smallest tower they make. They also have a flat roof mount that does use cinder blocks for ballast but I believe that's for a pole mount not a triangular tower. Check out their web site rohnnet.com. Also check ebay and do a search on Rohn towers, antenna towers, ham towers and variations like that and you'll come up with several hundred listings that might give you some ideas on how to accomplish what you want to do. The closest ham radio store is Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH. They are a national chain, their web site is hamradio.com. You could also check you-do-it electronics in Needham to see if they have anything in stock.

If you have to special order be prepared to pay shipping because that stuff is bulky and heavy. It's possible HRO in Salem might have some stuff in stock.

Wow, that stuff is $$!

Thanks for the response. I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap buy, and in the meantime I'll stick with what I've got and look for a way to add guy wires fir the windy days.

Another thing you can try is the aluminum military 4 foot antenna mast. They are really design for temporary use but you can pick up the tubes either in a vinyl pouch of 10 to 12 or singularly. Do an ebay search for "Antenna Mast", I just did and there's a bunch of them. Stay away from the fiberglass ones. They have guy rings available too but I don't know about a fold over base. I purchase a bag of them at a ham radio flea market in Deerfield, NH a few years ago. They should be OK for a stationary antenna but not really designed for a rotor. Another thing you might look into is a telescopic flag pole but you might have to rig up a special base for a flat roof.

Back
Top Bottom