• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shorts for summer time pocket carry and your pocket carry

For those who pocket carry... we've all been there. We put on our favorite pair of shorts, slap the gun in it's pocket holster throw that bad boy in the pocket and.... er........ Not going to work. Either physically sticking out or the gun is in plain sight.

Turns out deep pockets are sorta hard to come by these days for shorts. Since all I can really wear here is shorts if I'm to be outside for anything longer than 5 minutes here in SWFL, I need to go hunting for the uniforms that are deep pocketed shorts to accommodate a pistol with it's pistol holster.

I previously used a Glock 42 in .380 with a Detroit Holster "John R (Pocket)" holster. Pocket Holster Detroit Holster John R
Why? The G42 is very slim and this pocket holster is fantastic. It weighs next to nothing, is easy to get the gun in and out of and it has a little hook at the end, so if you grab the pistols grip really hard and really fast that hook will snag your close keeping that holster in your pants and not on the gun when you draw.

I now use a Glock 43 in 9x19 with the same holster (the version made for the slightly different dimensions).

The crazy part is I can tell the difference between the 2 frame sizes like night and day, and I can also feel the weight differences. Even though the differences are almost trivial:
G42 Length: 5.96
G43 Length: 6.26 (makes it s tad bit harder to hide in pocket as sticking out is the main problem)

Weight with full mag
G42: 15.9 ounces
G43: 20.9 ounces

The crazy part here is the G42 weighs less LOADED than the G43 with no mag in. Woof.

The rest of the dimensions are extremely close.

Anyway, I'm not sure yet if I regret trading the 380 for the 9. Till will tell. If it keeps being a pain worse case I'll switch back or to another gun.

So, for the holster here it is again Pocket Holster Detroit Holster John R
I recommend it. However, I did not that after several years of the gun sitting in the holster the holster starts to lose its grip. When I 1st got it I could holster the gun and hold the holster upside down and it would not fall out. After a few years it either really wanted to fall out or would fall out. Such life I suppose.

Now, for the new pants I found yesterday. I found them at Basspro.

The RedHead Stanley Shorts for Men. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-stanley-shorts-for-men

They come 30-48. I am wearing either a 30 or 32 depending on what weight I'm keeping myself at for jiujitsu competitions. If I'm going holocaust survivor mode at 155, I have to wear the 30's. I normally walk around at 170 when I am not grinding out a 4 month diet for weight so I wear a 32 inch for that. I am 5'9 and the gun looks like something of a large smart phone in my pocket. I give my dimensions to make the point that If I con conceal with the smallest sized pants, I suspect everyone else will have no problems if they have to wear the largest ones.

I tried every single pair of shorts they had in the store, perhaps 10+ pairs of every day shorts. These were the only ones by a large margin that would would.

Please post your pocket pistol carry gun, holster and shorts here!

How long are the BassPro shorts? Below or above the knee cap?
A few years ago it seemed like things were trending in the terrifying direction of men's shorts getting shorter. I really don't want to re-live the 70s [laugh]

I'm all in on the short shorts. Nice and cool and easy to snap a kick off. Have to carry a CZ to complete the hipster look though. 🤣

I'm a sucker for Kuhl stuff. The dedicated phone pocket makes it easier to hold all your shit while pocket carrying. But, at $70+ a pop they're a bit cost prohibitive. Picked up some eddie bauer shorts that have been good (deep enough pocket for me).

Kahr PM9 in a desantis nemesis, but I've been considering getting one of those kydex pocket holsters.

I'm all in on the short shorts. Nice and cool and easy to snap a kick off. Have to carry a CZ to complete the hipster look though. 🤣

I'm a sucker for Kuhl stuff. The dedicated phone pocket makes it easier to hold all your shit while pocket carrying. But, at $70+ a pop they're a bit cost prohibitive. Picked up some eddie bauer shorts that have been good (deep enough pocket for me).

Kahr PM9 in a desantis nemesis, but I've been considering getting one of those kydex pocket holsters.
Kahr PM9 is a great pocket pistol, smaller than the 365.

As far as shorts, I feel the OP pain, it is hard for good looking NES operators to wear body conscious clothing and conceal carry.

#GoodLookingPeopleProblems
#TheStudLifeChoseMe
#theStruggleIsReal

I'd love to pick up a P365 (non-XL) for this, but maybe that can be a Christmas gift for next year, so I would probably use my Bodyguard 380 (inb4 disparaging comments about the Bodyguard)

I wear several different pairs of Duluth shorts. Firehose, firehose flex <—-that one is a lot lighter material, and some that are dry on the fly.
I can easily carry my S&W Shield 45. However I prefer my Springfield 911 due to the fact its a lot lighter.

Dockers Men's Perfect Classic Fit Shorts from Amazon. A major added feature is the cell phone pocket next to the regular pocket on the right side, which makes it a lot easier to find space for stuff when one pocket is dedicated to a gun.

Carried an LCR or a Model 36 in a Desantis Nemesis in those shorts for years.

Just switched to a P365 in a Vedder Pocket Locker. The grip is not exposed but it definitely prints in those shorts - I don't mind that, since in an era of huge smartphones it's unlikely that a fellow Ma**h*** will think "gun", but just FYI. Pretty happy with this setup so far but it's only been a few days.

ETA: the P365 weighs about the same as the steel j-frame M36 when both are loaded. The polymer LCR is lighter. The weight delta isn't a huge factor for me, it's only maybe 5oz - noticeable but not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
@Dench did you try 6 o'clock carry?

The disadvantage is that it will hurt if you fall.

Some people also argue the other disadvantage is when you draw, you sweep your legs- that is not accurate, it only happens if you draw the wrong way. Like everything, you need to practice this.

I'd love to pick up a P365 (non-XL) for this, but maybe that can be a Christmas gift for next year, so I would probably use my Bodyguard 380 (inb4 disparaging comments about the Bodyguard)
Yeah, the BG sucks to shoot but it's easy to carry and you're better off carrying that than not carrying at all because you don't have the "perfect" carry setup for the situation. I carry my BG mostly when I'm riding my bicycle or when I go to the gym & don't feel like bringing the regular EDC (P365). My office manager wouldn't carry her P238 in belly band because she didn't like cocked & locked (she likes to wear it in front). Bought her a BG and she carries all day every day.

The best carry gun is the one you'll carry.

For years I absolutely hated pocket semi-autos because of their tiny everything - tiny grips, tiny sights, tiny trigger guards, tiny slide locks, tiny mag releases, tiny safeties - the BG380 was one of the worst I had tried. PM9 seemed promising but I hated the ergos. So I always stuck with snubnose revolvers. It's the recent crop of subcompact semi-autos that made me reconsider one and I'm happy to report that the P365 (haven't tried its competitors) feels like a real gun.

For years I absolutely hated pocket semi-autos because of their tiny everything - tiny grips, tiny sights, tiny trigger guards, tiny slide locks, tiny mag releases, tiny safeties - the BG380 was one of the worst I had tried. PM9 seemed promising but I hated the ergos. So I always stuck with snubnose revolvers. It's the recent crop of subcompact semi-autos that made me reconsider one and I'm happy to report that the P365 (haven't tried its competitors) feels like a real gun.
Absolutely. The BG380 is hands down the worst of the bunch... except it's tiny and can be carried where some others cannot (for me anyway). I also thought about carrying a snub, I have the LCRX I'm happy with but it's still way to big for bike [shorts] carry for me. Also don't mind getting the BG sweaty during a ride - no matter what configuration I go with I sweat a ton while riding the bike (I only bike 1-2x week during the warmer weather). I really need to find a way to mount it on the bike, would be much more comfortable. For EDC, the 365 is my go to.

Even my skinny build can pocket carry effectively in summer without a heavy handgun pocket print. I have a Kimber Micro 380 and a Desantis Nemesis . Carry my cell in my other pocket and they both print similar.

Yeah, the BG sucks to shoot but it's easy to carry and you're better off carrying that than not carrying at all because you don't have the "perfect" carry setup for the situation. I carry my BG mostly when I'm riding my bicycle or when I go to the gym & don't feel like bringing the regular EDC (P365). My office manager wouldn't carry her P238 in belly band because she didn't like cocked & locked (she likes to wear it in front). Bought her a BG and she carries all day every day.

The best carry gun is the one you'll carry.
Based. I considered looking for a small .22 for gym/run carry, I wonder now if the Bodyguard would fit the bill.

I've tried pocket carry a few times and just haven't been able to make it work. Thats included carrying a Bodyguard which is probably the worst gun I have ever owned. I understand it's purpose but man does it suck. 5.11 Apex shorts are actually the most comfortable pants/shorts I have owned for carrying. For pants Vertx Delta pants are phenominal but pricey.

I off body carry at the gym in my backpack.

Back
Top Bottom