• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shot my first rifle re-loads today...............

and WOW.

I never could fathom how simply reloading your own ammunition can improve the accuracy of a rifle. I am now a believer.

I have quite simply, never been able to shoot like I shot today.

I was using my M24/47 mauser with
- Privi Partizan brass
- Sierra 150 grain JSP, 0.323 diameter
- 50 grains of IMR 4350
- Winchester primers
- An overall length of 2.945"

I was shooting from a benchrest at a distance of 50 yards. On my first target I was able to put 4/5 shots inside the 1 sq. in. bullseye. Previously I have put about 200 rounds of surplus down range and the best I could do was to MAYBE hold a 4 inch ring at 50 yards. I simply assumed thats the best the rifle could do.

I am a believer. In fact, I just finished reloading the 20 pieces of brass from todays range session.

1218101817a.jpg

The target above may not be very impressive, but for my skill level, it's pretty much a miracle. The one that missed high was the first shot on a cold barrel.

The main cluster is about 1.25" in diameter.

That is all. Please continue about your business.

Last edited:
Wait until you tune the gun a bit more, and do the workup on the rounds.....

I shoot holes that touch each other, at 100 yards, with an "off the rack" Remington Model 700 (that dangerous gun!) in 30-06. I have been reloading that caliber for almost 40 years, and think I am pretty good at it.

Congrats on your success.

and WOW.

I never could fathom how simply reloading your own ammunition can improve the accuracy of a rifle. I am now a believer.

I have quite simply, never been able to shoot like I shot today.

Congratulations! You won't ever want to shoot surplus ammo again. [smile]

B

2.5 MOA from a milsurp with reloads right out of the book and with hunting bullets is nothing short of outstanding.

I bet you can hit 1.5 MOA if you use match bullets and tune the load (charge weight, bullet weight, bullet jump to the lands) to where your rifle really likes it.

Reloading is fun, shooting them is a blast!! I love the art of shooting, keep up the good work Larry, you just entered a whole new dynamic when it comes to placing that shot.
Speaking of which, it's time to make some 5.56!!

2.5 MOA from a milsurp with reloads right out of the book and with hunting bullets is nothing short of outstanding.

I bet you can hit 1.5 MOA if you use match bullets and tune the load (charge weight, bullet weight, bullet jump to the lands) to where your rifle really likes it.

bullet jump to the lands.
How is this done? Getting my components for .223 for my AR. soon. Can use any advise.
Thanks, Mike

When tuning loads for accuracy, one of the best ways to improve accuracy is fiddle with the distance the bullet has to travel before it begins to touch the rifling. Before you reload you really need to understand this.

B

Yup, here's how that's done:

1) Set a bullet a bit LONG (longer than recommended) in a round that's 10% UNDER the starting load.

2) In a safe manner, chamber the round, and SLOWLY close the bolt.

3) If you can't close the bolt, it's because the ogive of the nose of the bullet is touching the lands.

4) Remove the round, check to see if the lands engraved marks on the curve of the bullet. If no engraved marks, then it wasn't long enough. If longer than necessary, then seat the bullet a bit deeper in the case.

5) Re-chamber and see if it closes.

Repeat until you are just able to close the bolt. At that point, you would have zero spacing between the ogive and the lands. Somewhere between .002 and .020 from the lands is typically (depending on caliber) where the sweet spot is.

Remember, you started off with a reduced load (for safety sake).

So, start working up your load from there, using signs of pressure, or a satisfactory level of accuracy, at that bullet seat length.

If you really want to go nuts, you also start to weigh and measure bullets, check concentricity and neck thicknesses of cases, and a whole bunch of other stuff that benchrest shooters do.

bullet jump to the lands.
How is this done? Getting my components for .223 for my AR. soon. Can use any advise.
Thanks, Mike

Back
Top Bottom