• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun ammo,no lead, recommendations?

I might be going to a range that doesn't allow lead ammo on their trap range. Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me?
1. Does steel shot damage your gun?
2. Is steel shot ammo hard to find or can I get it at Dick's or Walmart?
3. Any brand recommendations? Or brands to avoid?

BTW, Gun is a 12GA autoloader

Steel shot will have an effect on the wear of the barrel and the barrel will need replacing sooner in most cases, however you will still get much use from the barrel before this is an issue.

The shot pattern and how far the shot has spread over distance is different for steel which usually gives a tighter group.

I use a great deal of Winchester steel shot and have found it comparable in price and availability. (Cabelas has always had it when I went to get it)

Most important thing is to read the manual regarding the gun you are going to use it in. Some guns will have specific rules for using steel shot with respect to the choke installed or in certain barrels.

-R

I might be going to a range that doesn't allow lead ammo on their trap range. Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me?
1. Does steel shot damage your gun?
2. Is steel shot ammo hard to find or can I get it at Dick's or Walmart?
3. Any brand recommendations? Or brands to avoid?

BTW, Gun is a 12GA autoloader

1. Most modern autoloaders are designed for use with steel shot; while technically there may be additional wear, I don't believe the average shooter will "wear out" a barrel in their lifetime. Older model autoloaders (Belgian Browning A-5 comes to mind) are not suitable for use with steel shot unless a modern replacement bbl is used. As S-R suggests, read the manual or contact the manufacturer.
2. Usually easy to find--with a couple caveats. #1. Most common use of steel is for waterfowl hunting and thus many stores may not commonly stock until September. #2. Most stores only stock steel in larger shot sizes that may not be optimal for clay target games. I'd call ahead. Also check the club where you plan to shoot as they often will have good prices on steel if it is required at their range.
3. My personal experience is that different brands pattern rather differently from gun to gun. For example my 870 patterns Winchester Xpert like crap but my Browning has no problems. I have had particularly poor luck with high velocity steel (like Kent Fasteel) but others swear by it. YMMV.

VT

Thanks for the replies guys. since you say "Most stores only stock steel in larger shot sizes that may not be optimal for clay target games." I have to ask - what is the right shot size for clays when using steel shot? And I read my owners manual and they don't mention steel shot. Gun is a H&R autoloader shotgun, BTW

Shotgun ammo,no lead

I checked Walmart, Danvers, Dick's, Danvers and Northshorefirearms in Middleton and couldn't find any target load steel shot shotgun ammo. Anybody know where I can get some?
BTW, Dick's in Danvers had a lot of 9mm, 40mm, and 223 ammo in stock.

I get mine shipped (to NH address) so not sure of status at local stores.

You could try Bass Pro, they list Winchester XPert Upland for $8.99 on the Web. Not sure if they carry it at Foxboro.

I'd also try calling Kittery Trading Post.

Lastly, Robbin Hollow Outfitters in RI might carry some--but it will be $$$. 401-568-0331.

I have picked up Winchester Expert Steel from Four Seasons in the past. They don't always have it so check in advance.

The range you are going to if it is steel only , should have some ammo on hand for purchase. In my local most store do not stock up on steel shot until bird seasons run

Back
Top Bottom