Shotgun Length of Pull Options

VTski4x4

NES Member
Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up a shotgun for sporting/HD and I'm having some difficulty deciding on which direction to go. I'm a short gentleman, only 5'3", so I need something with a short length of pull. I spent a lot of time shouldering a bunch of different shotguns, and I am truly stuck on what to do. I am looking at something along the lines of Mossberg 500, Remington 870/11-87, or a 930 duck commander. The best feeling shotgun I shouldered all weekend was the Mossberg 500 Bantam (kids).

Is there any real difference between the Bantam model, and the regular 500?
Would going full size and having the stock cut down be better?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up a shotgun for sporting/HD and I'm having some difficulty deciding on which direction to go. I'm a short gentleman, only 5'3", so I need something with a short length of pull. I spent a lot of time shouldering a bunch of different shotguns, and I am truly stuck on what to do. I am looking at something along the lines of Mossberg 500, Remington 870/11-87, or a 930 duck commander. The best feeling shotgun I shouldered all weekend was the Mossberg 500 Bantam (kids).

Is there any real difference between the Bantam model, and the regular 500?
Would going full size and having the stock cut down be better?

Thanks in advance!

Well how long are your arms?

When you shoulder a mossberg 500 does it feel too long?

If you measure it as in this link, whats the number?

http://accurateinnovations.com/options/length-of-pull/

Also what is the budget you are willing to have for getting it to fit your purpose?

You could have the stock fitted to you but not sure if you are willing to pay for that or just want something "okay" out of a box.

The full size 500 feels a bit too long/unnatural when I shoulder it.

Edit: LOP is 12"

Really looking to spend ~$400s. If I really get into sporting, I'll get a Citori Micro Midas.

Take a look at the stock options at Bill Davis Enterprises: http://www.billdavisenterprises.com/

They are great for 1100's, 11/87's and 870's. We use the short stock for the smaller kids on my youth shotgun team. The stocks install pretty easily. If you find other options, please let me know as we are always looking to fit youth shooters.

The full size 500 feels a bit too long/unnatural when I shoulder it.

Edit: LOP is 12"

Really looking to spend ~$400s. If I really get into sporting, I'll get a Citori Micro Midas.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ble-mossberg-500-590-590a1-12-gauge-synthetic

This would get you options from 12.5 to 14.5, not 12.5 is too long.

Otherwise maybe the youth one is better. If you have a stock cut, then you also have to get a pad fitted because it isn't likely to be a size that is easily purchased.

Go with the Bantam - if it fits, it hits. Otherwise you're just making noise.

Actually: Get a youth model stock for an 870, and get a used 870 from before 1990 and put them together. (I prefer Remington shotguns, but will admit freely that the new stuff sucks - while Mossbergs are decent throughout the production line)

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-720-reduced-length-g2/

I grabbed one of these for my 5' 2" wife, fits her perfectly.

Take a look at the stock options at Bill Davis Enterprises: http://www.billdavisenterprises.com/

They are great for 1100's, 11/87's and 870's. We use the short stock for the smaller kids on my youth shotgun team. The stocks install pretty easily. If you find other options, please let me know as we are always looking to fit youth shooters.

These both seem like good options, however I would urge the OP to really understand what his ideal LOP is. These both come in at 13".

"Standard" is usually somewhere 14-14.5 so they are a good inch shorter than that, but if he truely has a 12" LOP it will still be a bit clumsy.

The "best" solution is getting the stock cut and a pad fit but between everything that might equal out to the whole cost of the gun itself (For low end pumps that run $300). I think the determining factor is how much the gun will actually be used. If you were going to get into sporting/trap/skeet then putting that money into a stock is just "cost of doing business".

The Beretta A300 Outlander ($700) with synthetic stock has adjustable length of pull. More than you're looking to spend, but cheaper than paying someone to cut a stock competently.

These both seem like good options, however I would urge the OP to really understand what his ideal LOP is. These both come in at 13".

"Standard" is usually somewhere 14-14.5 so they are a good inch shorter than that, but if he truely has a 12" LOP it will still be a bit clumsy.

The "best" solution is getting the stock cut and a pad fit but between everything that might equal out to the whole cost of the gun itself (For low end pumps that run $300). I think the determining factor is how much the gun will actually be used. If you were going to get into sporting/trap/skeet then putting that money into a stock is just "cost of doing business".

I'm certainly not looking into serious competition, I would just like something that feels natural when I shoulder it. The 500 Bantam was spot on in my opinion, but I didn't measure to make sure it was ideal.

The tag at Kittery TP said 500 Bantam 12 Gauge, not Super Bantam.

Edit: After looking on the Mossberg site, I am positive it was the 500 Bantam 24" Barrel, 12 Gauge.

im not short nor tall and the 20g 870 youth actually fits me pretty good.
I have shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with it BUT its primary use is a compact HD gun.

with out getting to crazy often if it feels right its close to being right.

I found those Magpul stocks shortened things up a bit plus made it easier for my surgically enhanced, er, repaired right wrist to get a better grip.

The tag at Kittery TP said 500 Bantam 12 Gauge, not Super Bantam.

Edit: After looking on the Mossberg site, I am positive it was the 500 Bantam 24" Barrel, 12 Gauge.

If I was in your situation I would just buy the youth model of whichever one I preferred the controls on.

For Remington I would likely go the route of buying an older wingmaster and putting a youth stock on.

I got my wingmaster for ~$260, so then its probably $100 for a youth stock? $360 isn't bad for it all together.

For a mossberg buying it new in the correct stock is probably easiest as I don't think there are particular spans where the manufacturing was notably better/worse as it is with the 870.

If I was in your situation I would just buy the youth model of whichever one I preferred the controls on.

For Remington I would likely go the route of buying an older wingmaster and putting a youth stock on.

I got my wingmaster for ~$260, so then its probably $100 for a youth stock? $360 isn't bad for it all together.

For a mossberg buying it new in the correct stock is probably easiest as I don't think there are particular spans where the manufacturing was notably better/worse as it is with the 870.

Thanks for all the advice/help. I think this is the route I plan on going. Mossberg 500 Bantom and can modify it for additional rounds if I want, later.

I'm 5'5" and I have the Hogue 12" on my 590. I bought it so I could "square up" but the 12ga recoil is so strong that I still have to stand Weaver style with my right leg way back to support me because the "slow push" of the recoil drives me backwards. I want to try a 20ga and maybe ditch the 12ga. I'm 135 pounds.

Isn't there a "fancy" Mossy 500 that comes with a collapsing stock from the factory? Could of sworn I handled one at a LGS in the spring.

I'm 5'5" and I have the Hogue 12" on my 590. I bought it so I could "square up" but the 12ga recoil is so strong that I still have to stand Weaver style with my right leg way back to support me because the "slow push" of the recoil drives me backwards. I want to try a 20ga and maybe ditch the 12ga. I'm 135 pounds.

Not sure of a nice way of saying this so ..... Sounds like you need to learn how to shoot a shotgun. People smaller than you can take a 12 ga blast without toppling over. For stability you are right that having your feet not squared up is better but having your right leg "way back" sounds like you aren't standing as stable as you think you are. I have seen a lot of people brace with their back foot but this puts them already leaning backwards and they have a hard time controlling their body.

In fairness I am 10" taller and 2x the weight so I can't exactly compare apples to apples but I have seen plenty of small adults and kids shoot a 12 ga for trap without bowling over.

Having the gun fit and having a good recoil pad will do way more for you than moving from 12 to 20 ga.

Not sure of a nice way of saying this so ..... Sounds like you need to learn how to shoot a shotgun. People smaller than you can take a 12 ga blast without toppling over. For stability you are right that having your feet not squared up is better but having your right leg "way back" sounds like you aren't standing as stable as you think you are. I have seen a lot of people brace with their back foot but this puts them already leaning backwards and they have a hard time controlling their body.

In fairness I am 10" taller and 2x the weight so I can't exactly compare apples to apples but I have seen plenty of small adults and kids shoot a 12 ga for trap without bowling over.

Having the gun fit and having a good recoil pad will do way more for you than moving from 12 to 20 ga.

You're probably right. I "learned" how to shoot a shotgun from youtube videos and watching other guys at the trap range. I lean forward and commit to the front foot but still get pushed back hard enough to get knocked off balance. It's the slow continual push that gets me. I feel like I'm being driven back by something with way more mass then me. Maybe I need to absorb it rather than being rigid and fighting it.

You're probably right. I "learned" how to shoot a shotgun from youtube videos and watching other guys at the trap range. I lean forward and commit to the front foot but still get pushed back hard enough to get knocked off balance. It's the slow continual push that gets me. I feel like I'm being driven back by something with way more mass then me. Maybe I need to absorb it rather than being rigid and fighting it.

Well "keep learning" is probably more accurate. The bruises I had on my shoulder when I started are a testament to that it is a process. The most painful one was when I shot an ATI Calvary that was too short, too light, and I was shooting 3 dram shells .... ouch. Those bruises lasted a while. I have NEVER had bruises that bad with a shotgun that was the correct LOP for me. 2 rounds of mounting a shotgun "off" from where it should be will wear you out more than 5 rounds of mounting it right.

I just know that "use a 20 ga" isn't a magic fix for recoil issues.

If I was you I would try something like this to see how it helps/effects the felt recoil.

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSaver-Slip-On-Recoil-Pad/dp/B01IJUPLTC

Last edited:

also depending on the shotshell load you shoot with a 20 gauge and how much lighter the 20 gauge maybe might not change felt recoil any.

anticipating recoil and freezing up can defiantly get you off balance....
what shotgun and what shotshell do you use?

lenth of pull and how to figure it out can be subjective also.
some measure from bend at elbow to trigger finger, some will say distance from your trigger hand to nose.
then you have pitch,cant, toe in/out ..... so much fun.

Last edited:
anticipating recoil and freezing up can defiantly get you off balance....
what shotgun and what shotshell do you use?

lenth of pull and how to figure it out can be subjective also.
some measure from bend at elbow to trigger finger, some will say distance from your trigger hand to nose.
then you have pitch,cant, toe in/out ..... so much fun.

46869508.jpg

To mtnbiker26: Find someone who is really good and have them help you a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom