Shotgun Shell - 12GA - #4 Buck - Lead - 2-3/4" or 3"

SalemCat

Banned
I just purchased a Shotgun, Semi-Auto, for HD.

I think this ammo is what I need, but am having trouble buying.

Is it common ? Anyplace I should try ?

#4 is usually a little hard to find. 00 is more common. Can you not find any buckshot, or just not #4?

I like #1 or #0 - more pellets than 00 but bigger than #4

Shooting it and getting familiar with is is more important than the size of buckshot you have

Speer used to make a Lawman #4 load. I bought a good supply - it doesn't seem to be made anymore. The usual load had 25+ pellets.

Federal makes a Premium Personal Defense load - 34 pellets @ 1,100 fps

Listed at BassPro shops, who knows what inventory they have these days.

BTW they now make this in 20 Ga as well - great news.

Last edited:
#4 Buck is the minimum buckshot load to meet the required FBI minimum penetration of 12 inches. See Box'o'Truth.

It seems like #4 buck would make a great home defense round -- more pellets, each with sufficient energy to be lethal, but less likely to penetrate into your neighbor's house and continue into your neighbor. Too bad it's so rare.

You want #1 or 00 buck. Collectors had Remington 00 in 25 rd boxes. I prefer Federal Loads as they come with either triple plus wad or the flite control wad very tight patterns. Hornady also uses a similar wad for their 12ga buck loads. Avoid the cheaper offerings for serious work. I have found the Premium Flite Control loads at a bunch of places recently, Bass Pro, Four Seasons, etc. I believe the Zombie Max is rebranded critical defense, and has the versatite wad.

My Mossberg is loaded with Winchester PDX1 a 1oz and three oo buck it should get the job done

I patterned these in my 590, the spread of the buckshot was too great for my taste. Maybe if I was taking on a horde of rioters.

Back
Top Bottom