• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should you change your defensive ammo in the cold weather?

I occasionally get questions from readers about changing their defensive ammo to better defeat heavier winter clothing in the colder months.

People who consider an ammo change generally do it for one of two possible reasons.

The most common is that the person misunderstands wound ballistics. He wants to exchange his hollowpoints for deeper penetrating ball ammo so that he can ensure adequate penetration through heavy clothing. It’s a good thought, but bullets don’t really work that way.
Take a look at the chart below from Range Hot (click to enlarge). It shows the results of their 9mm ballistic gelatin tests using a whole bunch of different loads. Take a look at the difference in penetration between the rounds fired into bare gel versus those fired through three layers of clothing before hitting the gel block. In almost every case, the hollowpoint bullets penetrated DEEPER, even after going through multiple layers of denim clothing.

Your hollowpoint bullet doesn’t get stopped by clothing. The hollow cavity actually gets partially or fully plugged by the clothing material. When that happens, the bullet expands less and thus penetrates more deeply. You don’t need to switch your hollowpoint for a deeper penetrating ball round. Almost all hollowpoint bullets will automatically penetrate deeper when shot through heavy clothing.
As a side note, the more expensive and best designed hollowpoints tend to have fewer variations in performance between bare gelatin, heavy clothing, and other intermediate barriers. That’s why the higher end defensive ammunition costs more. When you pay for a Federal HST, a Speer Gold Dot, or a Winchester Ranger round, you are paying for better performance. These rounds are less likely to plug up and more likely to perform as desired through all test mediums. If you are already carrying a quality round like the ones I mentioned, there is no need to trade it out for a “deeper penetrating” bullet when cold weather hits.
Another group of folks want to change to some type of expanding full metal jacket or polymer tipped bullet during colder months because they think that any hollowpoint is more likely to clog with clothing and fail to expand when shot through heavy winter clothes. This rationale makes more sense to me than wanting a deeper penetrating bullet, but the theory is still somewhat misguided in my opinion.
Expanding full metal jacket bullets often do not expand as large as a good jacketed hollowpoint, but they remain fairly consistent throughout both bare gelatin and through heavy clothing. Some folks think that they would rather take the chance of less overall expansion in a round that is guaranteed NOT to clog up with clothing and fail to expand at all. Take a look at the heavy clothing gel testing results from the Federal EFMJ bullet as reported on Federal’s website.

Gelatin detail from the Federal 9mm EFMJ through heavy clothing (click to enlarge)
The expanding full metal jacket performed adequately. Now take another look at the heavy clothing tests in the first chart. The best 9mm hollowpoints consistently outperformed the EFMJ, even when shot through heavy clothes. The Hornady Critical Defense round with the polymer tip is also designed to resist being plugged up by clothing. It performed adequately as well. But it didn’t perform significantly better than the quality hollowpoints I mentioned earlier.
The bottom line is that the polymer tipped and EFMJ bullets do fine in heavy clothing, but they don’t perform significantly better than other quality hollowpoints. Both of these rounds will out perform any brand’s generic hollowpoint defensive rounds. If that generic round is what you choose to carry defensively, a switch in winter might make sense.
A better solution is to pick one of the top performing defensive loads in your caliber and just stick with it year round. That’s the strategy I employ. I don’t switch bullets in colder weather.
Research the ballistic performance of your chosen carry load. The Lucky Gunner Gel Tests are a great resource to find out how your chosen load performs. If your load doesn’t do well in heavy clothing, exchange it for a load that does. Pick a quality round that performs well in both bare gelatin and with heavy clothing and stick with it year round. You don’t need ball ammo or something exotic just because it’s winter time.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.n...ur-defensive-ammunition-during-colder-weather

A Marine - daughter that's into ballistics. I ask you guys, does it get any better than that! That's why I use Winchester Ranger. Thank you Marine - daughter.
Winchester Ranger works year round, buy sometimes in warmer weather I switch to less powerful ammo, if over penetration is a concern.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough that when I was a young man I had a few friends that were ww2 guys . You could get 45 ball pretty cheap and we shot a ton of it . The habit of using ball ammo stayed with me until a few years ago and I started using hollow points . The only gun I still use fmj in is a .32acp . I just don't trust hollow points in a small caliber gun .

I change my carry ammo according to weather. In rainy day I carry horndy, in sunny day I carry gold dot, in snowy day I carry Remington , in a gloomy day I just carry a flask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you are carrying concealed, your gun will be pretty warm regardless of the outside temperature. And its temperature won't change much after you draw it, unless you have it out for several minutes, which I can't see being likely to happen in a defense situation.

Assuming you are carrying concealed, your gun will be pretty warm regardless of the outside temperature. And its temperature won't change much after you draw it, unless you have it out for several minutes, which I can't see being likely to happen in a defense situation.

That penetration article covered the hardball versus hollow-point ammo question well as regards heavier clothing (worn in winter) and relative and effective penetration. Thanks for the citation marine-daughter. And yes the quality of ammo does make a difference regarding consistency in my (tested) opinion too. I used to have (more frequent) access to "targets" that provide a very close proximity to real-life defensive impact damage.

The one thing unmentioned was severe cold itself. I have used .45 Colt ammo in a carry gun. I reload too. I was surprised one verrrry cold morning at-the-range a few years ago when I pulled out my side-piece and heard a strange report when I pulled the trigger. I gave a quick look at the firearms, and the ammo, and repeated ...same pop. It was the cold and its effect on the relatively loosely-packed gunpowder in the ammunition that seemed the culprit. The room in the (long) Colt ammo seemed to make the ignition/explosion behave differently than it did in temperate climes. It made a hole and within defensive ranges was similar as far as I could tell ...no chrono testing ...but, there was a definite performance impact due to the extreme cold ...no doubt.

No need to change if you pick one from the list here, depending on the caliber you carry. Pick one, make sure it functions well in your pistol, then move on. Focus on doing all the training you can afford.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=99

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the Winchester PDX1 124 grain +P's The ranger ammo is most likely the same #'s . it works and I can find it at wal mart ,cheaper than anywhere else.

I carried a Sig229 and an M4 for work 12 hrs a day outside a lot during winter I never thought to ask if my rounds were warm enough, glad the bad guys never showed up.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense regardless of weather. I have had enough experiences in my life to know that what's on paper and what comes out of tests is not always the real-world result. It probably is. It most likely is. But that little polymer insurance policy gives me some extra peace of mind and that's a good enough reason for me.

No need to change it in the winter, my boolits are jacketed

Husky-smiling.jpg

Last edited:
As usual: Speer GD 9mm 124gr +P ... same performance regardless of no layers or 3 layers.

Decide on a good round, practice with it, trust it, stick with it.

I never change my carry ammo depending on the season, the bottom line is anything worth carrying will pass an FBI 4 layer denim test, expand fully, and penetrate greater than 12" in balgel. These days it's actually kind of difficult to find stuff that won't meet that standard unless its cheap junk at walmart/dicks or its 380 or something like that.

-Mike

That penetration article covered the hardball versus hollow-point ammo question well as regards heavier clothing (worn in winter) and relative and effective penetration. Thanks for the citation marine-daughter. And yes the quality of ammo does make a difference regarding consistency in my (tested) opinion too. I used to have (more frequent) access to "targets" that provide a very close proximity to real-life defensive impact damage.

The one thing unmentioned was severe cold itself. I have used .45 Colt ammo in a carry gun. I reload too. I was surprised one verrrry cold morning at-the-range a few years ago when I pulled out my side-piece and heard a strange report when I pulled the trigger. I gave a quick look at the firearms, and the ammo, and repeated ...same pop. It was the cold and its effect on the relatively loosely-packed gunpowder in the ammunition that seemed the culprit. The room in the (long) Colt ammo seemed to make the ignition/explosion behave differently than it did in temperate climes. It made a hole and within defensive ranges was similar as far as I could tell ...no chrono testing ...but, there was a definite performance impact due to the extreme cold ...no doubt.

Try adding corn meal to case on top of your powder charge. It holds the powder near the primer, rather than allowing it to flow back and forth in the case due o the unfilled space.

Yeah, I don't change mine. Speer Gold Dot HPs. It's not like we're having to choose between a .30 carbine and a 30-06 when shooting at hundreds of screaming Chinamen during the Korean winter at 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom