Shout out to Overwatch Outpost in Charlemont MA

92G

First time doing business with Charlie at Overwatch Outpost.

He had a rare bird VP70z for sale. Production year of 1981. Kindly held it for me for the past week.

image-888369774.jpg

He also had solid collection of less common ammo including .460, 10mm, 25acp, 32acp, 9x18 and a bunch of rifle calibers.

Overall excellent service. Very nice shop. The owner Charlie seems very knowledgeable about firearms in general.

If you're in the Charlemont (NW Mass) area would suggest checking out his shop. Only issue for me is distance ~120 miles, otherwise I would be at his shop more often.

Last edited:
thanks for mentioning this pistol. Had no idea of the impact to modern striker fired polymers H&K had.

[video=youtube_share;0Wq5_3rkqd8]http://youtu.be/0Wq5_3rkqd8[/video]

holy crap! 20 pound trigger?

Last edited:
thanks for mentioning this pistol. Had no idea of the impact to modern striker fired polymers H&K had.

holy crap! 20 pound trigger?

dude made a nice video but not sure where he came up w 20 lb trigger. it's nowhere near that. it's a smooth DAO trigger on par w good revolver trigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Does he carry many older handguns?

mostly new stuff but he had a tricked out PPK/S in the case too.
but clearly if he's selling a VP70z he's got some older stuff coming through as well!

I did an upper/lower set transfer a few weeks back. Easy deal. I needed powder anyways and if you spend $50 in store the transfer fee is waived so it's a win win. Good place and will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of waived fee's. If you're going to pay the transfer fee, why not toss in a couple extra bucks and take something home.

First time doing business with Charlie at Overwatch Outpost.

If you're in the Charlemont (NW Mass) area would suggest checking out his shop. Only issue for me is distance ~120 miles, otherwise I would be at his shop more often.

It was nice to meet you at the outpost yesterday! I didn't even know there was a gun shop there until recently. Now I am glad I stopped in. I decided to go cruising around and decided I would stop in part way in my journey. Now I'm glad I did. I didn't walk out with another gun though, but I did end up picking up another holster for my 9MM so that was a win for me :)

Thank you all, sincerely. I know that lots of people shop strictly for bargains, and take their business to big box stores......but small shops like us, often DO have better deals. We really do try to treat our customers well. Shop local, folks. You're not supporting a corporate salary. You ARE supporting local families, and economies. My sincere appreciation goes out to each of you. Thank you!!!

I don't spend a penny at a big box store except for the occasional summer ammo purchase at Walmart. I enjoy putting my money directly back into the community.

Thank you all, sincerely. I know that lots of people shop strictly for bargains, and take their business to big box stores......but small shops like us, often DO have better deals. We really do try to treat our customers well. Shop local, folks. You're not supporting a corporate salary. You ARE supporting local families, and economies. My sincere appreciation goes out to each of you. Thank you!!!

Do you handle much in the way of older handguns such as S&W revolvers or Colt semi-autos?

Having owned a VP70Z I can say the main reason I got rid of it is because of the trigger, which was beyond awful. And a 20lb. trigger wouldn't surprise me, it pulled so hard it pulled the gun off target when pulling the trigger. That was a big complaint about them in the day so I wasn't the only one that disliked it. Anyone having one with a nice trigger I would venture to guess is it has been worked on.

Having owned a VP70Z I can say the main reason I got rid of it is because of the trigger, which was beyond awful. And a 20lb. trigger wouldn't surprise me, it pulled so hard it pulled the gun off target when pulling the trigger. That was a big complaint about them in the day so I wasn't the only one that disliked it. Anyone having one with a nice trigger I would venture to guess is it has been worked on.

for me trigger isn't too bad.
my main beef w the design is the thick rifling that was cut to intentionally allow gas to flow around the bullet, thus dropping muzzle velocity. my understanding is HK had to make such accomodations given the design is a direct blow back 9mm with a relatively light slide.

the closest modern handgun to an VP70z is the hi point C9, which is also direct blowback. the slide on the C9 is much heavier. that and the C9 is a POS, but design wise is similar.

A lot.....a vast majority of people do NOT understand this and will beat you up if your ammo is overpriced by a couple bucks.
I saw the store right "downtown" on my way to Berkshire East one day and wanted to stop, but had the 3 little ones in tow.
Good luck with the new store, I hope to make it up to see you during whitewater/zipline/mountain coaster season.

Back
Top Bottom