• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shriners - Wilmington, MA Feb 18th and 19th.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Anyone ever see that Lottery comercial where the guy is wearing the lit up with flashing lights "victory vest" that has a sign saying Winner in big letters with an arrow pointing down at him? I think we need some NES ones so we'll all know each other. [lol]

That'd be hillarious! [lol]

dreppucci007 said:
Milsurps 4 Me said:
Anyone ever see that Lottery comercial where the guy is wearing the lit up with flashing lights "victory vest" that has a sign saying Winner in big letters with an arrow pointing down at him? I think we need some NES ones so we'll all know each other. [lol]

That'd be hillarious! [lol]

I haven't seen that particular commercial, but I've seen the two others. Maybe we should all just buy hats from the NES store.

Anyway, I thought the price on the Swiss was okay based on what I've seen on line. I was really toying with trying to buy more, but I DO have to get the rifle first! Or do I? In any case, Midway has the same ammo for just a bit less, so I've ordered more from them.

Thanks for the info on Samco M4M. I placed my order during the middle of the Shot Show and since they were all at that, they might be catching up still.

I like the Holbrook show and it's only about 15 minutes away from the house. There's a show in East Bridgewater next week, but I don't know anything about it. I've started a new thread on that, so maybe someone will provide more information.

Gary

Gun Show today

Well a great day at the Shrinners was had by me!! and i am sure i saw all the guys from NES but i have never met any of you so i must have walked right by! i was that old guy in the hat that said " TOP GUN " but i did find
a milsurp to take home nothing spectaculer, i have had one or two before and lost them on trades, thinking i will grab another one easy enough, but
now finding the prices going up and up and not finding as meny as used
to be around! a guy had a Type 99 Jap 7th series short rifle,Nagoya
Arsenal, nice condition, tag was $170. i asked ( whats the bottom line)
he said $150!! how-bout $125?? he said (ill take $135) OK-SOLD!!!
anyone know where i can get a cleaning rod for this prize?? that is the
only thing that it needs [lol] [lol] Take Care

Sheriff Dudley

I got to the show at about noon, so no lines.
I was asked by those in uniform if I was "on the job". I simply replied no.
First time I've been asked this; I guess I had that "look"?[wink]

I overheard a vendor telling a guy that an M1 carbine he was selling was just like the USGI ones.... well, except the receiver itself was commercial, and a bunch of other parts....
I spotted some Hi Powers that interested me, but after looking at the lowest priced one, $540, I passed (had some pitting & rust). The others were higher in the $700 range. Picked up my NRA renewal form, as I did at past shows this time of year.
Also got some stock metal parts for the CMP M1 stock that I bought recently. Got some M&M reloads for calibers I'm not setup for (reloading).
I was looking for Nagant revolver ammo, but none was found. A dealer selling Nagant 1895's didn't have the ammo. Had a few conversations with vendors, incl. some of the regulars I visit each time.

Four Seasons was packed. I did some window shopping, got some of the CCI Stds .22LR, and called it a day.

Ok, well I was the second guy through the door at 9 AM. The first thing I did was check how many ammo vendors were on site. There were several - GREAT! Competition! Supply and Demand! Oh My!

The guy with the big AMMO banner on the left at the back of the hall had the best variety and best deals. I hate to see the Wolf 7.62 x 39 up at the $125 level, but at least it was there - boxes and boxes of it. If I hadn't snatched up a box at FS recently, I definitely would have grabbed one.

Ended up buying a bunch of commercial .303 Brit and 7.62 x 54R for a fairly low price. Nothing near the surplus prices, of course. Polish russian was going for $55 for the 440 round tin, which seemed like an outstanding deal. But I just can't convince myself to use old, corrosive, non-reloadable ammo in my most recent guns. So I'm going to go the reload path - the .303 dies just arrived, and the 7.62 x 54R are on the way.

Overall, I liked what I saw at the show - even though my knowledge of what's online made me laugh at the prices. Nope, the best part of the show was the crowds. Maybe gun shows will hang around for a while, even in Massachusetts.

Re: Gun Show today

sheriff dudley said:
a guy had a Type 99 Jap 7th series short rifle,Nagoya
Arsenal, nice condition, tag was $170. i asked ( whats the bottom line)
he said $150!! how-bout $125?? he said (ill take $135) OK-SOLD!!!
anyone know where i can get a cleaning rod for this prize?? that is the
only thing that it needs [lol] [lol] Take Care

Sheriff Dudley
Good snag sheriff. A Nagoya 7 is a good find. You're going to have to post some pics and describe it. Is it matching, have a mum? Don't want to disappoint you on the cleaning rod but the repros out there are the long type and that Nagoya should be a short one. An original will run you about $75 average I think, IF you can find one. Does it have a hole for it at the end of the stock? Also, is there a round metal "button" under the stock towards the muzzle?

Adam_MA said:
The kid behind the table told his dad what I was saying, then the guy came over to me and told me he was SICK of coming to the MA shows and having people tell him that he was selling illegal mags. He then proceeded to tell me that he was a retired LEO and is now working for the Federal Marshals office. I told him that it didn't matter if he was working for God himself, that his mags were illegal and were a FELONY for anyone in MA to posses. He told me he was sick of coming to MA shows, and that our laws suck. I told him, if he didn't like it, to go peddle his wares somewhere else, that we didn't need his CRAP. My bro-in-law started to laugh, and I told him, come on lets go, we don't need this illegal shit!

what guy? Im gonna go back again today and point out the same stuff to the same guy.

Adam_MA said:
I was standing at this table with all the "pre-ban" glock mags, and I was telling my brother in law how to tell the difference between them. The kid behind the table told his dad what I was saying,
Adam

Adam, I did the same thing with my friend, only it was the high capacity Ruger 10/22 mags I was explaining. Seems a lot of people in this state don't understand that even though the federal AWB has sunset, the MA one is still alive and screwing us. My friend seemed to think that his Class A high capacity LTC would exempt him.

I did see at least one guy with a ton of hi-cap Glock mags, but no sign on them to indicate if they were pre ban or not. From all the posts here, I picked up on the high-on-the-magazine placement of the caliber designation and figured they were post ban. The sellers don't seem to care as they aren't local. Of course they can always SAY that they intended to sell them to buyers who drove down from out of state.

On another note, I saw that they had Wilmington officers at the door, and not private security.

Gary

centermass181 said:
Adam_MA said:
The kid behind the table told his dad what I was saying, then the guy came over to me and told me he was SICK of coming to the MA shows and having people tell him that he was selling illegal mags. He then proceeded to tell me that he was a retired LEO and is now working for the Federal Marshals office. I told him that it didn't matter if he was working for God himself, that his mags were illegal and were a FELONY for anyone in MA to posses. He told me he was sick of coming to MA shows, and that our laws suck. I told him, if he didn't like it, to go peddle his wares somewhere else, that we didn't need his CRAP. My bro-in-law started to laugh, and I told him, come on lets go, we don't need this illegal shit!

what guy? Im gonna go back again today and point out the same stuff to the same guy.

It's the same dude that's at every show.He has 2 boxes,1ea of 30 rounders and 1 ea of Colt 20 rounders.Great prices,but all recent manufacture and/or date stamps.He was located around the middle of the show about 3/4 of the way down towards the back.

I said something to him at the Springfield show,but he was convinced the ban was over at it was completely legal to own/posess these mags in MA.I didn't feel like arguing the finer points of the MA laws,so I just kept on going about my business.

Some unsuspecting guy/girl is going to get popped one of these days.Ya never know,there could be some rep from the AG's office scoping for buyers then following them out to their car.

Buyer beware I guess....

ChristosX said:
Is there a thread with ID information on pre/post ban mags? If not, would one of the more knowledgable members care to start one ???

TIA
Chris

RE: AR15 mags.

It's pretty easy man.If the body says "Leo/military use only" you can't own them.If it doesn't say that,look for a date stamp on the body.the newer mags don't say "Leo/mil" use,but they have a date code ie: 11/04

I am pretty sure D&H makes mags for the military,and the military requires a date code/cage code on all the mags.

If you can't find a date code,or the leo markings,you are good to go.

Folks,

If you can find the posts with the pictures of Glock mags, etc. if the post is otherwise appropriate (info wise), I'd be happy to "sticky" it.

However the whole pre-ban mag issue is a morass of confusion! Check the Mag section of Patrick Sweeney's book on the Glock and you'll see that even he found "new styles" of pre-bans after he thought he had them all nailed down!

I haven't even looked for info on other gun mags re pre-ban vs. MA banned status!

The whole thing is giving me a headache! [roll]

Another interesting thing was that the ammo dudes weren't checking for LTC cards.Personally,it's shit like this that gives fuel to the anti gun crowds.These laws suck,but they are laws and you have to obey them if you like your rights.

"Gun show sells ammo to unlicensed persons in MA putting children at risk",Story at 11

I went Sat. just to scope out prices on H&K pistols, only saw 2 dealers with any USP's. Zero Hour Arms had a good selection and reasonable prices (I guess), but I was looking for a Compact in 40 cal. They said they had sold one before the show opened to another dealer. Tombstone Traders had a nice 40 Compact, but $1050.00 was way out of my range. Spent the rest of the time buying little odds and ends. I very rarely buy guns at gunshows, not many deals out there. Went back again this AM just to get a mag holder from Waltons. [wink]

wherewolf said:
I went Sat. just to scope out prices on H&K pistols, only saw 2 dealers with any USP's. Zero Hour Arms had a good selection and reasonable prices (I guess), but I was looking for a Compact in 40 cal. They said they had sold one before the show opened to another dealer. Tombstone Traders had a nice 40 Compact, but $1050.00 was way out of my range. Spent the rest of the time buying little odds and ends. I very rarely buy guns at gunshows, not many deals out there. Went back again this AM just to get a mag holder from Waltons. [wink]

I watched Tombstone Traders win a gun broker auction for a HK compact date code KH I believe,about a month ago.Winning bid was around $550.

wherewolf wrote:
I went Sat. just to scope out prices on H&K pistols, only saw 2 dealers with any USP's. Zero Hour Arms had a good selection and reasonable prices (I guess), but I was looking for a Compact in 40 cal. They said they had sold one before the show opened to another dealer. Tombstone Traders had a nice 40 Compact, but $1050.00 was way out of my range. Spent the rest of the time buying little odds and ends. I very rarely buy guns at gunshows, not many deals out there. Went back again this AM just to get a mag holder from Waltons.

I have a feeling this is the same one that Zero Hour Arms had sold earlier. [shock]

Greg said:
Another interesting thing was that the ammo dudes weren't checking for LTC cards.Personally,it's shit like this that gives fuel to the anti gun crowds.These laws suck,but they are laws and you have to obey them if you like your rights.

"Gun show sells ammo to unlicensed persons in MA putting children at risk",Story at 11

Greg,

I have NEVER been asked for any ID to buy mags or ammo at gun shows. NEVER in some 30 years!

What's most interesting are the following things about ammo/mag sales at MA gun shows:

- Most dealers are NOT from MA, given that fact, according to our AG . . .
* They MUST possess (and display) a MA Ammo Dealer's License which cost $100/year and is issued by the TOWN THEY ARE SELLING IN (meaning, as I was told, one for each town that they work a gun show)!
* Mere possession of hi-cap mags (even legit pre-ban) by a NON MA Dealer at the show REQUIRES either a MA NR LTC-A (pistol, or -B for rifle/shotgun) or it is a FELONY for them to even have them at the show or sell them!!
* I have NEVER seen a MA Ammo Dealer's License displayed by an out-of-state vendor at a gun show, NEVER!
* It is my understanding that NONE of the local chiefs will issue said MA Ammo Dealer's License to non-MA dealers, especially after the shit-storm that the AG created about the non-MA dealers selling into MA.

Oh well! [roll]

I say enjoy buying what you need and can while you can still do it at the gun shows. One of these days, most of these dealers will get shut down and the shows will totally disappear from MA . . . that is the intent of our legislature and chief law enforcement officials (AG's office/EOPS/Sec. of Public Safety).

LenS said:
Folks,

If you can find the posts with the pictures of Glock mags, etc. if the post is otherwise appropriate (info wise), I'd be happy to "sticky" it.

However the whole pre-ban mag issue is a morass of confusion! Check the Mag section of Patrick Sweeney's book on the Glock and you'll see that even he found "new styles" of pre-bans after he thought he had them all nailed down!

I haven't even looked for info on other gun mags re pre-ban vs. MA banned status!

its in the " I almost went to jail" thread.

I just got back from Wilimington about an hour ago. My overall impression is that there really is more in the of accessories than firearms...but to me there is no such thing as a bad gun show ! I love accessories too. I picked up a DiSantis concealment holster for my Sig P229 that is in like-new condition for 5.00, and a couple of new GI .45 magazines for 5.00 ea, and an H.A. Ogden military print for $12.00. If the print is an original it is worth about $100.00, if not and a repro it is worth about $20.00, plus a Winchester pull-over for $20.00 that I know originally retailed for about $45.00. Overall, I thought I got some bargains.

One distressing thing, there was a guy selling Colt AR/M16 mags there. I took a look at one and it was marked "military and law enforcement only", so I am inclined to believe post-ban and thus illegal. Sooner or later somebody is going to get burned on this high capacity mag law.

Mark

mark056 said:
I just got back from Wilimington about an hour ago. My overall impression is that there really is more in the of accessories than firearms...but to me there is no such thing as a bad gun show ! I love accessories too. I picked up a DiSantis concealment holster for my Sig P229 that is in like-new condition for 5.00, and a couple of new GI .45 magazines for 5.00 ea, and an H.A. Ogden military print for $12.00. If the print is an original it is worth about $100.00, if not and a repro it is worth about $20.00, plus a Winchester pull-over for $20.00 that I know originally retailed for about $45.00. Overall, I thought I got some bargains.

One distressing thing, there was a guy selling Colt AR/M16 mags there. I took a look at one and it was marked "military and law enforcement only", so I am inclined to believe post-ban and thus illegal. Sooner or later somebody is going to get burned on this high capacity mag law.

Mark

Jay and I saw that guy, and made some off the side comments when we were looking at them saying around about 10 people that we can't buy them. When people looked at us, Jay said something like, well you can, but if you get caught, you're a felon.

One guy put the one he was looking at and walked away after he heard us. The guy behind the table wasn't very pleased at us...I think me as I had a dealer badge on my shirt.

Perhaps the NRA or maybe GOAL could set up an information booth to do something more than recruit members and renew memberships. A pre-show education for out of state dealers might just keep someone out of jail. I'd like to see GOAL take a more pro-active stance against our ridiculous laws anyway. A petition signed by everyone entering the show indicating our collective displeasure with the MA laws might not do much, but it sould be a start. (Provided, of course that such a signed petition does not upset the status quo and give Local Cheif's and the AG a ready made list of "troublemakers"...) Damn. Now I have a headache...

Chris

maybe GOAL could set up an information booth to do something more than recruit members and renew memberships.

Gunshows are not where GOAL needs to be, the folks who attend shows already belong to GOAL (for the most part) I'm not the one you have to try and bring over to your side, it's the other X% that needs to be informed. Why couldn't GOAL have a table set up at the local Shaw's market or some such place. Those are the people we need to convert.

One of my pet bitches is the constant renewal applications and monetary donations that the NRA sends me, the $ it costs for all this literature could be better spent elsewhere.

Just my .02 Phennigs

My wife and I went Saturday to pick up some reloading supplies. The woman who rung up the sale did ask to see my LTC. I wound up buying a nice Don Hume IWB holster for my S&W 910S. Nizzer.

My wife found a nice Taurus .22 revolver that she fell in love with.... not legal in MA though! Doh! Turns out the dealer (from Connecticut) had half a dozen Taurus pistols in his display case. Hope that he didn't sell any this weekend.

This was my first show, but I'm hooked. I guess that you just need to be careful about what you buy.

wherewolf said:
Gunshows are not where GOAL needs to be, the folks who attend shows already belong to GOAL (for the most part) I'm not the one you have to try and bring over to your side, it's the other X% that needs to be informed. Why couldn't GOAL have a table set up at the local Shaw's market or some such place. Those are the people we need to convert.

One of my pet bitches is the constant renewal applications and monetary donations that the NRA sends me, the $ it costs for all this literature could be better spent elsewhere.

Just my .02 Phennigs

Hum, I think gun shows are equaly as important. It's those walking with guns that need to be made aware of what is being taken from us. You would be suprised how many gun owners in Ma are not members of GOAL or NRA. We need their support, after all it's their rights.

I think tables out side of stores is a good idea however, I think many of the people in this state who would walk by would just shrub them off and shake their head.

I agree that information should be made available at gun shows. After all thats where someone could buy something that could get them in trouble. I think info on whats ok and whats not should be included with new memberships and renewals with updates when they are available. I also think that laws should be explained in simple terms with definitions that are easily understood, not this wherein and therefor and sec.### line A, part 2, etc. etc. stuff. Its bad enoug we're walking on egg shells being Massachusetts gun owners and collectors, now were required to be lawyers and english scholars to decipher descriptions of laws regarding possession, etc.

wherewolf said:
Why couldn't GOAL have a table set up at the local Shaw's market or some such place. Those are the people we need to convert.

Because very few retail venues are going to allow it. They generally will allow Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, local youth athletic leagues, and some charities to solicit money, but that's about all you're going to see.

Gun shows are a good place for GOAL and the NRA to set up because there are a lot of gun owners who DON'T belong to one or both. The guy I went with yesterday doesn't belong to GOAL, despite my constant nagging. I'm pretty sure that he's still an NRA member. However, I know a lot of gun owners who are members of neither.

Gary

centermass181 said:
LenS said:
Folks,

its in the " I almost went to jail" thread.

Thanks.

That is NOT a thread that I would want to make into a "sticky"!! [roll]

Ninemil said:
My wife found a nice Taurus .22 revolver that she fell in love with.... not legal in MA though! Doh! Turns out the dealer (from Connecticut) had half a dozen Taurus pistols in his display case. Hope that he didn't sell any this weekend.

This was my first show, but I'm hooked. I guess that you just need to be careful about what you buy.

A CT dealer can not (legally) sell ANY guns at an out-of-state gun show. Fed law prohibits it! What they frequently do is transfer the gun to a MA dealer at the show and he does the transaction to the MA resident. The MA dealer is supposed to know what s/he can/can not sell in MA. Cite: 27 CFR 178.100 (a)(1)(b)

Yes, you do need to be careful AND more knowledgeable than the dealers (who frequently don't know the law).

A number of years ago, I watched a MA dealer sell a long arm to a gun show buyer at a NH show. Illegal per Fed Law and from many comments he made during the transaction, this guy was totally clueless. It was obvious to me that he was a "kitchen table dealer".

Back
Top Bottom