SHTF EDC/BOB Backpacks

So after searching this forum, I found that there were no threads dedicated to just what backpacks are being used for EDC or BOB. Even on Youtube videos people rarely mention what bag it is that they're using. Do you guys have different bags for EDC or BOB or are they one in the same? Curious to see what everyone is using to carry their gear.

My every EDC is just a Burton back pack. slightly bigger than a good sized back pack has tons of compartments and it insulated. My BOB is a framed hiking pack holds about twice what the backpack does. I also keep a small CERT bag in the back of my car that has more medical supplies

I have a Kelty rucksack I've used for the last 28 years. One of the side pockets started to seperate from the pack about ten years ago and I stitched it back on. The repair is crude but it's still good.

Do you get any funny looks carrying a murse called a Maxpedition Fatboy? Serious question. I'll take my answer off the air.

Lol. I get a lot of jokes about it from family and friends (mostly my dad) but usually people are either silent about it or they think it is cool. Whenever I pull out something that is needed for the situation at hand the tone goes more towards the "Thank God" spectrum.

Outlier 1: My former ambulance boss and partner (still a friend of mine) says that the other managers and some of the staff still talk about me at the main station (I was only there for 3 days for training in the 8 months I worked for that company ) for my bag. Kind of funny.

Outlier 2: Went on dates with 2 women and both mentioned that the bag made them nervous because they felt something bad was going to happen but were overall glad I had it.

Funny story: I wore my bag on the first date with the first woman on a bet/dare with my ambulance boss.

Lol. I get a lot of jokes about it from family and friends (mostly my dad) but usually people are either silent about it or they think it is cool. Whenever I pull out something that is needed for the situation at hand the tone goes more towards the "Thank God" spectrum.

Outlier 1: My former ambulance boss and partner (still a friend of mine) says that the other managers and some of the staff still talk about me at the main station (I was only there for 3 days for training in the 8 months I worked for that company ) for my bag. Kind of funny.

Outlier 2: Went on dates with 2 women and both mentioned that the bag made them nervous because they felt something bad was going to happen but were overall glad I had it.

Funny story: I wore my bag on the first date with the first woman on a bet/dare with my ambulance boss.

I was going to ask why the hell would you EVER wear that on a first date, then I read the bet/dare. How'd that date go? Haha [rofl]

I was going to ask why the hell would you EVER wear that on a first date, then I read the bet/dare. How'd that date go? Haha [rofl]

Decent! She turned out to be a total nutjob so I broke up with her 3mo later.

I generally make an exception to my EDC rule on the first date. After that though it's business as usual.

I have a couple packs, the condor assault pack is ready as a go bag with most of the essentials (just add food and water which are close by), then my hiking pack is a lowe alpine contour 60 which is with my camping gear, if theres time ill pack that and go.

Ebags is a good place to look and compare and they usually have some decent pricing.

I like the look of maxpedition packs but they are far too expensive as far as im concerned.

I have a couple packs, the condor assault pack is ready as a go bag with most of the essentials (just add food and water which are close by), then my hiking pack is a lowe alpine contour 60 which is with my camping gear, if theres time ill pack that and go.

Ebags is a good place to look and compare and they usually have some decent pricing.

I like the look of maxpedition packs but they are far too expensive as far as im concerned.

I thought that too but I must say that the quality is superb. Buy once, cry once.

I use a Maxpedition Malaga as the GHB for the car. For the all-out BOB I have my Kelty 2300. I could not be happier with the Kelty, especially for the price I paid.

Maxpeditions are very well made, I own a few, but one minor gripe is that I find they are always smaller than expected in terms of the amount of gear they can hold.

My EDC is a Maxpedition Operator (I'm an IT nerd by trade) and keep the typical stuff (first aid kit, change of socks, a fleece (in season), security items, food bars, etc) and in both vehicles we keep OGIO bags similar to this with extra clothes and food/mess kits. That's as close as I could get the misses to go for a BOB :)

Do you get any funny looks carrying a murse called a Maxpedition Fatboy? Serious question. I'll take my answer off the air.

LOL that's pretty funny, I have never herd it referd to as that. I also use a Maxpedition fatboy along with a Ka-Bar waist pack for all my EDC needs.

d8a00a04.jpg

0ce3adf9.jpg

83dfff68.jpg

Last edited:
low key EDC i usually rock an Oakley Icon 2.0. its my gym bag pretty much thats it.

other than that i have a triple aught design fastpack lightspeed. so far so good. too expensive really, like all TAD gear.

lighter weight ill use a camelbak hawg, awesome pack

LOL that's pretty funny, I have never herd it referd to as that. I also use a Maxpedition fatboy along with a Ka-Bar waist pack for all my EDC needs.

what is that curved thing thats in the way of getting a proper firing grip on the 1911?
Yes that is a Bluetooth, I have 2 of them that are identical. Their is also a trigger guard over the trigger built into the pack. I have been carrying my 45 this way everyday for over the last year. I also have a Crossbreed holster for when my attire requires it but this is my preferred method of carry. On a side note I am not seeing any ware on the blue finish carrying this way. This has been the most comfortable way I have found to carry

Last edited:
I have a Jumbo type S and it is too big I end up filling it with crap I don't need which makes it heavy and with one strap it tends to dig in. Looking for a small two strap bag

Anyone here using a modular system for their bags? If so, would you mind posting photos of the bags themselves? I'm not necessarily interested in the contents, just the bags. I can't picture in my head what the system looks like and with seeing photos, that could put me on the right track. I am currently considering the Rush MOAB 10 that can connect to the Rush backpack system. The idea would be that the Rush MOAB 10 would be a GHB that could attach to the Rush 72 hour bag, which would serve as my BOB.

Thanks,

-Chris

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is as modular as it gets. It can be a 1900ci daypack and then expand to 5000ci and carry 100+ pounds. It's not cheap, but it's made in Bozeman Montana by Dana Gleason and co. Spectacular pack with an equally spectacular price.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/mystery/mystery3.html

Here are some pics towards the bottom of this page. User name and password to see the pics are both "mm"

I carry a Emdom TNT bag in Gray. Took a while to get it as they are made to order it seems. This is my EDC bag. I have a MAxpedition bag the wifes uses for a Go Bag, taht stays in her car. I am going to pick up a Hazard 4 Plan B for a Go Bag. I try to keep it minimal, with the only redundancy being knives and flashlight. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I have time.

Back
Top Bottom