• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

I followed a couple discussions the other day about peoples opinions on the SHTF Gun of choice...

Figured I'd start one here about which vehicle you'd want to have if things go south...

I'll start. I think my daily driver would make a great choice. 2012 z71 extended cab Silverado.

I've got 4wd, good ground clearance and power as well as a lockable hard tonneau cover. Easy to load gear fast, and hit the road..

I'm sure there will be lots of people saying Deuce and a half or Unimog...but let's see what people have to say.

Personal, or family? For bad weather, for driving to your rural retreat, for driving through road blocks, for extended societal breakdown?

If I had to go downtown yesterday, my electric bike was first choice and motorcycle second choice.

Volvo C303

1975_Volvo_C303_Civilian_Conversion_Front_1.jpg

or
[h=2]Mercedes Unimog[/h]
1970_Mercedes_Benz_Unimog_DOKA_on_Snow_resize.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, just about any 4x4 truck will be a good choice. Even my older Ranger will do the job. Sure, it doesn't have the cargo capacity of a full size truck, but it's also not as wide, long, or heavy. I have the supercab version, which means I can fit a decent amount in the cab. The rest can go into the bed. I have a folding bed cover there (two panels fold, bulkhead panel is static). I can remove it pretty easily/fast too. Use a tarp with rope/bungee cords to have even more cargo capacity.

I also tend to park backed-in towards the house. Which means it's going to be easier/faster to load up IF I ever need to.

If it only came with a small diesel. Big 4x4s are great but fuel economy and the ability to get to a bug out location will be a major plus in a true SHTF situation

Fit them with additional fuel cells to take care of that... I'm going to be looking into that in the coming months. Right now I can go over 300 miles if I'm doing mostly highway. If I'm going more local, obviously I don't get the same distance. If I can increase my total fuel capacity by at least 50%, I'll be happy.

Since DHS has caused an MRAP shortage... Chevy Silverado x cab. GPS, and will run on E85. I usually keep above half tank, and store additional fuel in jerry jugs. Reg gas now is E10, SHTF, you can add ethanol, which you may be able to make, to the stored E10 and stretch out your fuel storage.
Of course my friend has got me very interested in a Bobbed out Duece! My girlfriend will pack up and leave if that thing shows up at the house, and she is not wearing an engagement ring of similiar proportions.

in reality the newer F150s with a ecoboost has got some great range and would make a pretty good SHTF vehicle. Diesel would be better though since you can use waste oil, oil from transformers on phone poles etc...

I think a lot of people are stuck in the mindset that the best SHTF vehicle is going to be a big, powerful 4x4. That may serve you well for your next camping trip, but it's not going to do you much good when you're getting less than 20 mpg and the gas stations are empty with long lines.

My next car is going to be my SHTF vehicle, something with great fuel economy and long range. A Ford C Max plug in is at the top of the list.

Since DHS has caused an MRAP shortage... Chevy Silverado x cab. GPS, and will run on E85. I usually keep above half tank, and store additional fuel in jerry jugs. Reg gas now is E10, SHTF, you can add ethanol, which you may be able to make, to the stored E10 and stretch out your fuel storage.
Of course my friend has got me very interested in a Bobbed out Duece! My girlfriend will pack up and leave if that thing shows up at the house, and she is not wearing an engagement ring of similiar proportions.

It doesn't take much to be able to produce your own ethanol for fuel. I'm one piece away from being able to do it actually. You can find those items on ebray for pretty cheap too (if you search properly). Or make them with some items from a scrap yard and the rest from the hardware store.

I think a lot of people are stuck in the mindset that the best SHTF vehicle is going to be a big, powerful 4x4. That may serve you well for your next camping trip, but it's not going to do you much good when you're getting less than 20 mpg and the gas stations are empty with long lines.

My next car is going to be my SHTF vehicle, something with great fuel economy and long range. A Ford C Max plug in is at the top of the list.
I guess it depends on how much you have pre-positioned at a secondary location. If you are planning on bringing a lot of your preps with you, you need the cargo space. If you are just trying to GOOD fast and lean, your choice would be better.
Too bad none of us has a crystal ball. We all smell smoke, just not sure where the fire is.

Last edited:
Depends on what S is hitting the F.

In general, get out of the area is the goal so -- Anything 4WD with good cargo capacity that can go >500mi nonstop (on a tank or where you have stored that much extra fuel ready to load and go). You don't want to be waiting in line or joining the scrounging. Good ground clearance (over 7") a plus.

Ground clearence, cargo room and people room as well as sheer mass and power are all big factors IMO. I can throw extra gas tanks in my bed. Can you drive through the woods or push through a roadblock of disabled vehicles?

Ground clearence, cargo room and people room as well as sheer mass and power are all big factors IMO. I can throw extra gas tanks in my bed. Can you drive through the woods or push through a roadblock of disabled vehicles?

Heavy duty bolt cutters, a winch, come-a-long, tire plug kit, cig lighter compressor, and spare tires are all things to consider as well. No AAA when SHTF.

I'd say a quad cab 3/4 or one ton 4x4 pickup with a cap.

I double this except I would add it should be diesel. My diesel pickup with 35 gallon tank can get me at minimum 500 miles of city driving and 700 miles on the highway. They use way less fuel at idle and have significantly less mechanical problems. I also have ready a 50 gal small profile transfer tank that goes in the bed. I could get to Florida from MA. I would also carry a small mechanical transfer pump to tranfer fuel from a heating oil storage tank into the truck. Heating oil and diesel are mostly interchangeable. In a shtf situation you will not be able to get anywhere near a gas station. There will be a lot of vacant houses with heating oil in their tanks. Especially if there is no electricity to run the heating systems. Bio diesel becomes an alternative if necessary.

I try to utilize one fuel type for everything, diesel. Pick up truck for me, mercedes e300 for the wife, heating oil for the home and diesel generator for back up. I have 2x 330 gallon heating oil tanks at my house and 2x 330 gallon tanks at a remote location. I have a lot of storage capacity. If I need it to bug out, I have capacity. If I need it to bug in, I have heat and electricity.

II try to utilize one fuel type for everything, diesel. Pick up truck for me, mercedes e300 for the wife, heating oil for the home and diesel generator for back up. I have 2x 330 gallon heating oil tanks at my house and 2x 330 gallon tanks at a remote location. I have a lot of storage capacity. If I need it to bug out, I have capacity. If I need it to bug in, I have heat and electricity.
This... Is where I would eventually like to be. Diesel always seems like the last thing to run out when there is a shortage. It also stores longer than gas when treated.

Has anyone see motorcyclists "filter" through a traffic jam? 4x4s are fine for the off-road adventure you may need if the roads are clogged with fleeing hoards in their cars, but cycles may just pass on through. Jus' sayin'.

Has anyone see motorcyclists "filter" through a traffic jam? 4x4s are fine for the off-road adventure you may need if the roads are clogged with fleeing hoards in their cars, but cycles may just pass on through. Jus' sayin'.

But in all the books, the guys on motorcycles are the bad guys.

I wish my bike had more than a 120 mile range.

Only takes someone in a car/vehicle to open a door at the right moment to negate the guy on a motorcycle though, in the traffic jam.

But in all the books, the guys on motorcycles are the bad guys.

I wish my bike had more than a 120 mile range.

I would aim to fill mine up after about 140-150 miles, to be sure I didn't run out of fuel. Of course, I drove more local roads, and didn't baby it. Fun as hell to ride, but not what I would consider viable as a bug-out vehicle. As part of a convoy, yes, but not as a lone vehicle.

BTW, motorcycles are heavily impacted by the weather. Far more than pretty much any other vehicle (save a convertible with the top down). If you think it's no big deal riding in the rain, do it some time without top notch rain gear. I've done it before and thought I had good gear for it. Took three days for my boots to dry out.

I'll take my Subaru Outback.

I have beaten the crap out of it and drive it real hard with no problems whatsoever.

Lot's of room, and with the back seat folded down you have a nice sleeping space if need be.

It's also unassuming and has AWD.

I would only go with a 6 cylinder version though.

Back
Top Bottom