Sig 522 vs S&W 15-22

Hello fellow shooters! I've been looking into getting a tacticool .22 and I've narrowed it down to these two. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either. From what I've read they both have great reviews. Thank you in advance for your advice!

What, no SR22? [wink]

I got the Sig 522 & Ruger SR22. So far, I prefer SR22. The Ruger still far superior. The sig 522 start to have FTF/FTE problem after 100+ rds on our last NES shooting event. I know I'm running with some cheap federal bulk pack, but these ammo never give me any problem on the Ruger.

I choose to get the Sig 522 because of the magazine compatibility. Sig use black dog magazine which compatible with a few AR 22lr conversion or dedicated AR 22lr upper.

I have shoot the M&P before. It's a good rifle. I just hate propriety magazine.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

I own a S&W 15-22, and just this Sunday, got to shoot the Sig 522 at the range. The Sig is significantly heavier. As in, if you like to put down lots of rounds, this will become a factor. I've never had any issues with my S&W feeding. Sounds like the Sig does (according to chinalfr). I will say the guy who let me shoot his 522 was using bulk stuff too. I use the federal milk crate bulk stuff with my S&W, NEVER EVER an issue.

With that said, if you're into all metal, heavy, solid, go Sig. They make great guns. I just donno that it's necessary on a .22 plinker. Furthermore, if by any chance you can shoot both, I'm sure you'll decide for yourself really quickly.

I've shot both. The Sig is the .22 black rifle that most closely resembles it's big brother. It also takes Black Dog mags and shot everything I fed it.

In my opinion, it's worth the extra money.

Do you have an AR-15? I love my Nordic 22LR upper. I've got about 600 rounds through it so far without cleaning and only 1 malfunction early on.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have a ruger 10/22 and from what everyone says this is the best .22 rifle ever made. I'm looking for a good plinker and hadn't heard much about the sr22. I'm definitely going to take the advice and try shooting them both before I buy! Thanks guys!

Thanks for the advice guys! I have a ruger 10/22 and from what everyone says this is the best .22 rifle ever made. I'm looking for a good plinker and hadn't heard much about the sr22. I'm definitely going to take the advice and try shooting them both before I buy! Thanks guys!

You welcome to try out mine if you in the Woburn area.

Here is the link to SR22. It's just a 10/22 with tactical setup. http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/models.html

1226.jpg

The thing I don't like about the SR22 is that the mag release and charging handle don't work like an AR and the mags don't handle the same. For a plinker, this doesn't matter much, but if it's an understudy to your centerfire AR, it does.

The thing I don't like about the SR22 is that the mag release and charging handle don't work like an AR and the mags don't handle the same. For a plinker, this doesn't matter much, but if it's an understudy to your centerfire AR, it does.

This is why I'm so interested in the m&p and the sig. This way I can buy one to train with and one to shoot with real rounds. shooting an assault rifle as much as I'd like seems like it will get very expensive quickly :)

This is why I'm so interested in the m&p and the sig. This way I can buy one to train with and one to shoot with real rounds. shooting an assault rifle as much as I'd like seems like it will get very expensive quickly :)

I think getting a dedicated AR 22lr upper is your best choices. You just swap the upper and off you go. Neither M&P 15-22 or Sig 522 handled like an AR in 223/556.

I think getting a dedicated AR 22lr upper is your best choices. You just swap the upper and off you go. Neither M&P 15-22 or Sig 522 handled like an AR in 223/556.

Is this a far more expensive way to go? Should I consider something like a smith sport and swap the upper?

I love my S&W 15-22. It shoots and runs very well, and is quite lightweight, which I really like. Some of these other guns are like boat anchors, which I just don't think necessary for a .22 that isn't a target rifle.

Nordic just restocked their 22LR uppers: http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC22-Upper-Receiver-Assemblies_c21.htm

There are 5 choices, lightweight barrel in 16, 18, or 20" or bull barrel in 17 or 20. I have the bull barrel 17 because it was closest to the weight of my 223 upper. The other advantage was i didn't have to replace a flash hider and pin/weld something. If you do, I'd suggest using a thread protector or a dummy flash hider; a comp will just crud up.

Nordic just restocked their 22LR uppers: http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC22-Upper-Receiver-Assemblies_c21.htm

There are 5 choices, lightweight barrel in 16, 18, or 20" or bull barrel in 17 or 20. I have the bull barrel 17 because it was closest to the weight of my 223 upper. The other advantage was i didn't have to replace a flash hider and pin/weld something. If you do, I'd suggest using a thread protector or a dummy flash hider; a comp will just crud up.
How would you set this up with Service Rifle sights?

Good question. I don't shoot service rifle. The lighter barrels are 750 diameter all the way down, so you could probably install a FSB on one. I'm guessing you'd want a SR legal handguard on there too though. I'm not how the handguards are mounted. If I were a SR shooter, I'd probably order a matched dedicated 22 upper from whoever built my SR upper.

The Sig is amazing and I couldn't be happier with it! I've always loved their handguns but never owned one of their rifles. It's a wonderful trainer and I'm now anxious to get a 552! Any one who wants to try it out I'll be at Braintree gun club!

Since they don't have an A2 upper, you'll need a carry handle, and if you want one with good sights, you'll be around $175 if I remember correctly from when I ordered my upper from White Oak. A standard front sight and base should go on the 0.750" barrel and you'll need a free float handguard, which looks like it might work with their upper.

Not going to be cheap to do it right.

I use my Sig weekly and just picked up a great optic for it. I enjoy shooting it so much i'm tempted to pick up the M&P as well. Either of the two you will love and shoot for hours.

Back
Top Bottom