• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 556 - Anyone Shooting?

It's well worth $1000. Especially now that they are shipping with the Swiss stocks. I would recommend getting a patrol model since the shorter gas system makes it less front-heavy.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 132
If you have small hands, stay away from it. You will not be able to reach the mag release without rolling your hand way around the grip (if you're lucky) effectively making the gun 10 times slower to reload than an AR-15 (or clone) is.

-Mike

If you have small hands, stay away from it. You will not be able to reach the mag release without rolling your hand way around the grip, effectively making the gun 10 times slower to reload than an AR-15 (or clone) is.

-Mike

Dammit, I'm at work, no access to you tube. (BK commercial)

No problems here with that issue.

Proprietary rail system, front heavy, poor ergonomics. For the same amount of money you can find a pre-ban AR if you shop around.
Stay away!

Proprietary rail system, front heavy, poor ergonomics. For the same amount of money you can find a pre-ban AR if you shop around.
Stay away!

That's funny, my aimpoint mounted with no problem. The ergonomics work fine for me. Yeah, a little front heavy that's not a big deal for me. [hmmm]

AK type action and reliability with easy takedown and mounting options.

Last edited:
Handguards are the proprietary part, not the top rail. Why not get an AK if you want AK type action?

That's funny, my aimpoint mounted with no problem. The ergonomics work fine for me. Yeah, a little front heavy that's not a big deal for me. [hmmm]

AK type action and reliability with easy takedown and mounting options.

My dad has one, its fun to shoot...he has the SCM configuration. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but IMO the furniture is awful looking...like something H.R Giger would design. Accuracy is ok..not great. Using 55 gn bulk milsurp'y stuff I couldn't do better than 8" or 9" groups @ 100yrds. My handloads using 69 gn match bullets got it to ~3" to 3.5" (1:7 twist barrel) . Acceptable, but not a target gun by any stretch. My lever gun carbines can do what the Sig can accuracy wise...even with pistol bullets (.357).

As mentioned it is front heavy...much more so than an AR. It's not the best balanced rifle I've shot. Also its shoots the brass along way (12' I'm guessing) at about 2 o'clock. This was a little annoying in terms of brass collection, but good in that it doesn't pelt the guy next to you. Field stripping is a dream...even the gas system. Typical Sig.

Handguards are the proprietary part, not the top rail.

Sig Commercial, Swiss milsurp for plastic. Sig, Samson, and Troy make rail handguards.

Dont really understand what you mean by "proprietary". Like saying FAL hand guards are proprietary

Why not get an AK if you want AK type action?

In 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 sure

If you live in Mass and want a 5.56, preban 5.56 ak mags are scarce. Chinese, Weiger, and altered EG bakelites are the only choices I know of

Last edited:
How difficult was the install? I can't find any information...

If you are keeping the fixed a2 stock or similar, you dont even have to remove the buffer tube. Just remove the buttstock, slide the adapter over the receiver extension tube, and reinstall the stock.

The SCM with the A2 stock still utilizes same set up with the takedown pin, takedown pin spring and takedown pin detent of the AR...so watch the little spring and detent dont fall out of the hole in the rear of the receiver and re-compress the spring properly when adding the plate and putting the stock back on.

takedown.jpg

If you are putting on a fixed carbine style stock, then follow glide's instructions

Last edited:
I have an Ace stock to go one mine. The AKFX style so I'll have to remove the buffer tube, do I need anything special to take that off?

They make a combination wrench which also works for the castle nut and barrel nut etc.

I dont know what others may use but for the receiver extension, I just used an adjustable wrench

I've got one, and like it. It's my SHTF gun. Some will argue that an AR15 makes a better gun for that purpose due to the increased availability of parts and such, but everything about the Sig is solid. The bolt carrier is machined very nicely, and while your typical AR may yield slightly better accuracy, it will never stay nearly as clean as the Sig, and with my hand loads I've still gotten 1moa out of it though 2moa is more typical. Mine is currently configured with w Wilson combat scope mount, a millet dms-1, and troy battlerail. Next will be troy battlesites, ace stock, and a muzzlebrake of some sort

DSCN0354.JPG

Mine runs 3-4 MOA with 55 gr milsurp, but I have been under 1 MOA (5 shots, 100yds) many times with 69gr Prvi factory ammo. Just about all groups under 1.5 MOA with this ammo. You just have to find the ammo it likes. It is a solid and dependable rifle, and much easier to clean than an AR.

Mine runs 3-4 MOA with 55 gr milsurp, but I have been under 1 MOA (5 shots, 100yds) many times with 69gr Prvi factory ammo. Just about all groups under 1.5 MOA with this ammo. You just have to find the ammo it likes. It is a solid and dependable rifle, and much easier to clean than an AR.

Yup, AR fanbois won't admit it ever.

My SCM just got another upgrade. The plastic hand guard is off and replaced with Troy Battlerail.

Currently, it has a Nikon M-223 scope on Burris PEPR mount and has a magpul prs stock on it. Next upgrade will be getting a battlecomp installed.

47b88519-b2a0-07d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5.

My SCM just got another upgrade. The plastic hand guard is off and replaced with Troy Battlerail.

Currently, it has a Nikon M-223 scope on Burris PEPR mount and has a magpul prs stock on it. Next upgrade will be getting a battlecomp installed.

47b88519-b2a0-07d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5.

That is a nice looking SCM chinalfr. It looks like we are on similar paths with our SCM's, as mine got a Troy battlerail about a year ago and I couldn't be happier with it. My Millet DMS-1 is on it via a Wilson Combat mount. I love the prs stock but it's too pricey for me, so I'm planning on a standard ACE skeleton stock next along with a brake of some sort (either a PWS or Troy claymore). I love my Sig but tend to shoot my bolt-action rifles more only because I reload and hate chasing brass thrown by the Sig!

Would a slide fire setup work for Sig 556? If yes I might be tempted in buying one.

P.S. Never mind. Just saw from Slide Fire FAQ that it's no-go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom