Sig 556 or M&P15ORC Rifle

hessy

NES Member
What is the Forum's opinion of Sig 556 rifle? It is quite heavy (7.8 pounds) and the front furniture looks a bit cheesy. The gas piston adds reliability for the long haul. The ORC carbine from S&W can be had for $400 less and is light. Fixed flash suppressor can be added later. This is for plinking, occasional target and pin shooting and having just one semi-auto rifle (don't have any at the moment). And yeah, S&W CS beats Sig's any time.
Thanks in advance for everybody's advice.

hessy

Last edited:
You answered your own question...[wink] The Sig seems like a nice rifle, but for the money you could have a super nice S&W, add muzzle brake as you wish, (S&W should have just put one on there to begin with) and if the piston-craze really strikes, kits can be had for short money. I have heard the Sig front end is on the cheesy side, while the S&W comes with superb Troy goodness already baked right in...

It's a tough choice and one that I've been researching lately. It looks like the MP15, in optics-ready configuration retails for several hundred less than a comp. Sig 556. Also, because of the AWB in Mass (and I see that we're both W-Mass folks), the Sigs are much tougher to come by. Currently Armour Arms (an NES member) appears to have one for sale and I think I head that Zero Hour might have one too...speculation. Conversely, the SW can be had in any (legal) configuration quite easily and you get the SW service as well. Plus, for you and I, it's "Buying Local" which always makes me feel good about a purchase. Still, that 556 is a good looking rifle. I haven't had any direct experience with it yet though so I can't say how it shoots. I suppose it could be all show and no go but Sig generally makes a fine weapon. So; now that I've cleared that up by linking a bunch of random statements, I think I'll retire.

That concludes today's aimless ramblings.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, keep them coming. Yes, I am in Mass, so options on rifles are limited, and so are my funds... I thought of Sig very highly until friend of mine had terrible experience with their CS... I have never had any problems with S&W CS at all.

The mass tax

Thanks for replies, keep them coming. Yes, I am in Mass, so options on rifles are limited, and so are my funds... I thought of Sig very highly until friend of mine had terrible experience with their CS... I have never had any problems with S&W CS at all.

Hmm...I had you mixed up with Mass Mark as being from Western Mass, but like you said, you're from Mass so that makes SW local. Sorta. The other aggravating thing is that you know your gonna pay an extra $100 or so just cause we live in this silly state. [crying]

Both are great rifles.

I have an ORC and it's an excellent rifle, LMT BCG, staked castle nut, etc. - right now they are a great deal with the rebate (which ends the 30th).

The ORC (and some of the 556's) doesn't come with sights so you'll have to buy sights or an optic. Keep in mind, only two manufacturers make a front sight for the 556 and not all fronts will fit on the ORC.

SIG 551 handguards can be had for the 556's if you don't like the stock handguards and there's a new quad rail handguard.

Here is my ORC, I put Troy flip up sights and a Magpul rail cover on it.
IMG_0731.jpg

AG, First Defense, Collectors, and a few other dealers here now have 556's on stock.

Do you want the Porsche or the Corvette. The 30% less expensive Corvette is arguably the superior product, but the Porsche is no slouch either. Parts are easier to come by for the Corvette, but the Porsche is probably built a little more solidly. Service for the Corvette is as close as any local Chevy dealer, but the Porsche might need a more specialized service facility. On the other hand, you will be far less likely to see yourself driving down the street in the Porsche...

Chris

I just had a similar decision to make. I bought an M&P15FT.

If you get the S&W, I have a Troy BUIS set for sale.

thanks

Thank you for your replies, gents. I think I'll just take an unconventional road and stick to my Tikka Light T3 in .223 with Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 scope. I can shoot it sub-MOA with most factory ammo, it is light, amazingly crisp trigger, and extremely easy to maintain and clean. Twist rate is 1x8, and it will shoot anything from 55 to 80-grain bullet. I have two 6-rd mags for it, and they never fail. I am sure my Tikka will outshoot any AR of Sig. Plus, I will save $$$ on NOT buying any more rifles.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, gents. I think I'll just take an unconventional road and stick to my Tikka Light T3 in .223 with Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 scope. I can shoot it sub-MOA with most factory ammo, it is light, amazingly crisp trigger, and extremely easy to maintain and clean. Twist rate is 1x8, and it will shoot anything from 55 to 80-grain bullet. I have two 6-rd mags for it, and they never fail. I am sure my Tikka will outshoot any AR of Sig. Plus, I will save $$$ on NOT buying any more rifles.

pics?

Back
Top Bottom