Sig 556 patrol?

If you can't find one, look at the Galil ACE. Same idea, different implementation. Available (maybe) online for around $1400, I think.

I have a 551A1 that I put a 556 lower on
so it could take AR mags.Pre-ban SIG mags
are hard to come by but not the AR ones.
The rifle is a little heavy,but I will take it over
an AR any day.Stock,and muzzle pinned,and your all set.
551 mags are about $100.

So I have one its a sig 556 xi. Believe they made them for a very short time 2014-2016 they had 300 black out, and 7.62x39 variants as well. They were phased out by the mcx's. It is probably one of the greatest rifles I have ever shot in my short lifetime, but then again im a huge fan of sig rifles so maybe it actually sucks. Its essentially an ak bolt/ gas system all built around a 556 cartridge. It is very heavy but it is very very very smooth. The trigger is smooth, the cycling is smooth, and its definitely a gun worthy of the space in your safe. They are fairly rare to come by. If you have the money to buy one and you find one I would say go for it.

I have a 516, it’s def heavy for an AR, but with a comp and a Gieselle trigger it shoots beautifully.

What I don’t like is Sig’s BS policy about selling proprietary spare parts. No other BCG will fit it, and they won’t sell you one alone, you have to buy a complete upper from them (unless they’ve changed that recently).

I believe the 516 has been discontinued as well now. Moving on to their lighter weight version DI M400 series.

Looks Like I gotta find one when I get my ltc. In my googling today I found there's apparently an entire forum for the 556, sigarms556.com. And a few popping up in classifieds.

I have a 516, it’s def heavy for an AR, but with a comp and a Gieselle trigger it shoots beautifully.

What I don’t like is Sig’s BS policy about selling proprietary spare parts. No other BCG will fit it, and they won’t sell you one alone, you have to buy a complete upper from them (unless they’ve changed that recently).

I believe the 516 has been discontinued as well now. Moving on to their lighter weight version DI M400 series.

Yeah. SIG can often be the Radio Shack of firearms. I get the point, but more often than not, your product goes the way of the Dodo bird instead of the market leaning towards you.

If you can't find one, look at the Galil ACE. Same idea, different implementation. Available (maybe) online for around $1400, I think.

This. I have a de-ram. A de-ram where the USSC knocks down pretty much all state gun laws restricting anything. Then I buy an ACE or two. Probably 2. One rifle, one pistol with a brace. And about 50 magazines.

The Galil has been around for. . . .50 years??? And the ACE took your standard Galil and put it on a diet so an average dolt like us could hump it around. ;)

Hell, I'd consider selling a couple of my AR's to fund the ACE's.

The MCX Virtus is a bit heavy, and expensive, but the legacy MCX's are lighter and all over the place for ~$1500. I have one and like it for what it is, a completely modular, short gun.

It will never be as light as a light DI gun, but it also folds up real small depending on the configuration without adding 10.5oz making it as heavy as the MCX.

IMG_20191126_170825039~2.jpg20200216_163448.jpg

Last edited:
I've always liked the look of Sig rifles and almost snatched up an SCM in the classifieds. It seems that Sig no longer supports them though? So finding replacement parts is hard and very expensive. Can anyone give insight into this?

I'm not in MA so I don't know the technical details of your regs, but my thinking would be along these lines.

If you get employee discounts on those $2000+ guns, and they are legal for you, it could make sense..

Else on the flip side, even if you paid $1000 for a pre ban AR lower or $2000+ for a complete rifle etc etc - once you own it you've got lots of options - you could own a bunch of uppers for different purposes, almost as good as having a few different guns.

The trouble with a lot if Sig stuff is they go way proprietary- even magazines in AR15 lookalikes have fitment details to look into, not a problem if you can just buy current 30 round mags but may not work with pre ban stuff.

They are still MA legal as far as I know, as they are piston drive and not compatible with AR15 bolts or other parts. I used to have a Sig 556 and 556R (7.62x39, AK mags). But you do have to get one with no flash hider and no folding stock. You can probably find one on Gunbroker from time to time.

I kind of wish I'd kept the 7.62x39 one , it was fun to shoot and ammo was cheap. Both the 5.56 and 7.62x39 rifles were heavier than a typical AR-15.
But the trigger was nice and smooth.

Found a 556 SCM on classifieds for $1100 about 1.5 years ago, almost bought it - bought the MCX Virtus instead for around $1700. My buddy bought the SCM though, having shot both, the Virtus was obviously a slightly stiffer shot being piston driven - SCM is a delight to shoot very soft recoil with the fixed magpul stock. I still prefer my Virtus because of the aftermarket options, style, modularity, current support but the SCM is amazing if you can find one for being in MA. SIG will still support issues if they arise with most platforms. Just be aware your modification options are pretty limited and what parts work, are getting harder to find.

0.jpgScreen Shot 2020-05-15 at 8.56.51 AM.png

I got a used MA-legal Sig 522 for $300 way back. It has the look and extreme weight of the 556, minus the cool hardware. It weighs more than my BCM Ar.

Will probably sell it when I get another .22 rifle.

(not my pic)

sig_552_22lr-01.jpg

Last edited:
Saxonville Armory has a Sig 556 for 2 grand.

Bought a Sig 556 scm in a NES Group buy 10+ years ago and foolishly sold it out of frustration because I had a hard time finding the furniture I wanted to put on it. It was dirt cheap during the group buy, like under $700.
It is far and away my biggest regret selling a gun. I loved the factory diopter sights, and that it was a piston gun. Yeah it was heavy, but with a bipod on the bench I could ring steel at 300 yards with boring regularity, and it ejected spent brass in a neat little pile. Great trigger and almost no recoil. I just hated the A2 boat paddle stock.
I sold it to a good friend who was just starting a family for a decent price. He told me just recently that he has fired it one time since he purchased it and was interested in trading it for an AR, so it looks like it might be finding it's way back home.

Back
Top Bottom