• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

sig 556

I think the best way to sum it up is reliable but heavy.

Sig is currently running a promotion where they give you a free 522 if you buy a 556. Not sure how that would work in MA though as there is no compliant 522.

I just bought my first Sig handgun so I'm kind of infatuated with Sig right now. That said; for my first AR the general advice I'm hearing is to stick with the more modular and parts-friendly AR-15. At least to answer the question, "If you could only own one AR"...

I like my SIG but ARs are more versatile.

Before
BEFORE.jpg

After
SIG5562.jpg

AR

Last edited:
I have a Sig 556 as well, I love it. Changing out the hand guards will lighten it on the front end. It's simple to field strip, it has a reliable piston mechanism and, if I ever move out of this commie state, I can easily slap a folding stock on it. Can't do that with an AR. It's really more of a cross between an AK and an FAL.

A few people here have them.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/90930-Show-me-your-Sig-556

There are plenty of accessories for it as well, stocks, breaks, rails etc. Granted not as much as an AR though.

I have a Sig 556 as well, I love it. Changing out the hand guards will lighten it on the front end. It's simple to field strip, it has a reliable piston mechanism and, if I ever move out of this commie state, I can easily slap a folding stock on it. Can't do that with an AR. It's really more of a cross between an AK and an FAL.

A few people here have them.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/90930-Show-me-your-Sig-556

There are plenty of accessories for it as well, stocks, breaks, rails etc. Granted not as much as an AR though.

+1 on what Blitz1 said. They are nose heavy. They run awesome with a suppressor, but then again your back at the weight issue. Spare parts are hard to get from Sig, asscesories aren't cheap. Be sure to pick up a Griffin charging handle if you run optics to prevent yourself from mashing your fingers between the optic and charging handle.

I bought it from Ty at American Weapons Systems, he is right up in Rindge NH. He runs a small business out of his house and he is a Sig dealer. He has great prices too!

http://www.americanweaponsystems.com/

Send him an e-mail at ttaylor AT AmericanWeaponSystems.com (so the spam bots don't grab it)

I bought the pelican case at Bass Pro, and the scope at opticsplanet.com

I had a 556 that I sold because I needed the cash. Overall, I thought it was a really nice rifle. It's a big heavy, but not enought to bother me. Mine was reliable and accurate. I thought it was a cool/fun gun to own. The only negatives for me were 1.) no folding stock in MA - part of the sell of a pistol AR for me is the folding stock and it's a drag that you can't own one here 2.) this is a minor issue, but I didn't like the fact that one of the take down pins requires a tool to unscrew.

Overall a really nice rifle. The fact that it takes AR mags is a HUGE plus IMO.

Back
Top Bottom