• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Academy Rifle Mechanics review

nstassel

NES Member
After sitting on a gift card at Sig Academy I finally used it for an intermediate rifle class they call Rifle Mechanics. I picked this class since I'm familiar with my AR rifles but have never taken any formal training with them even though I have shot them a bit and have owned AR rifles for many years. In preparation for the class I took off the SPARC red dot and replaced it with a 1-6 primary arms optic and sighted that in so I wouldn't make a fool of myself. I could have easily taken the class with the red dot though now that I've taken it.

The instructors were Jon Carlson and (I think) Andy Delorey. Both were excellent instructors and nice guys to hang around with for the day. After basic safety rules and paperwork, there was an hour or so in the class room discussing sighting in distances which was interesting to me but repetitive for me a bit. Then discussion of the basic operations of an AR rifle. We then went to a 50 yard range.

Outside those who needed gear or ammo took it. The ammo was very reasonable so rather than use my own, I shot Sig ammo. 10 bucks a box nowadays was fair I think. We then did some prone shooting and sighted in the rifles and worked on general marksmanship. We then shot the guns close for hold under. The we shot standing from 5-50 yards.

After the lunch break we worked on malfunction clearing drills with dummy rounds and a mix of live and dummy rounds. We then worked on reloading from retention techniques. We were taught transitions and shot some two and three target transitions. Then we learned shooting from kneeling and sitting positions. We shot a lot of steel in the afternoon. All together there was 250 rounds or so.

I would recommend this course greatly to anyone looking to expand their MSR skills.

thank you so much for writing this up

ive been planning on taking a rifle course there and i thought rifle mechanics would be too elementary but from what you're saying it sounds like it'll be fine to start with

thank you so much for writing this up

ive been planning on taking a rifle course there and i thought rifle mechanics would be too elementary but from what you're saying it sounds like it'll be fine to start with
I liked the level. The staff can taylor the class on the fly. Some guys were less experienced and had just taken the basic class which showed. Those with more experience still got useful information.

Just wrapped up the two day Rifle Operator course. There was definitely some overlap with the zeroing, close range hold overs, malfunction clearing, etc but we spent pretty much the entire second day running drills, shooting on the move, multiple targets, and shooting off barricade.

We shot about 1000rnds rifle/100rnds pistol total. Little steep given ammo prices, but getting out to train and test out gear is worth it.

Just wrapped up the two day Rifle Operator course. There was definitely some overlap with the zeroing, close range hold overs, malfunction clearing, etc but we spent pretty much the entire second day running drills, shooting on the move, multiple targets, and shooting off barricade.

We shot about 1000rnds rifle/100rnds pistol total. Little steep given ammo prices, but getting out to train and test out gear is worth it.

So how does that work for MA folks.

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought it was a no-no to cross state lines with an "assault rifle"?

So how does that work for MA folks.

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought it was a no-no to cross state lines with an "assault rifle"?

It's perfectly legal to possess an AR or pick your favorite rifle in NH. You may also borrow a rifle and pistol from Sig at no additional cost. Few folks ran MCXs others ran M400s. Most ppl brought their own though.

Back
Top Bottom