Sig P232 Advice

My wife and I are new to handguns and have been renting guns just about every weekend since we took a safety course in early October. We’ve had the opportunity to try a pretty wide variety and we’re zeroing in on what we like. Actually, between the rentals and some very friendly people we’ve been able to try about 25 different firearms, most of them handguns.

My wife is particularly fond of the Sig P232 (.380) and has shot it many times without having any issues until this last weekend. The darn thing kept stove-piping (at least once in every mag) and she absolutely could not pull the slide back to eject the round when it happened. Previously she had no trouble with jams with this gun. It was a seriously depressing situation for her as she had become pretty set on owning one of her own when she gets her license.

It’s really only just above her threshold as far as strength is concerned, so the question is this, could a gun smith safely tweak a gun like the P232 enough to make it comfortable for her to handle?

As a side question, is the P232 known for stove-piping? The guys at the range were suggesting the problem was due to limp-wristing it, but as I mentioned before, she had fired this gun with no issues on a number of occasions before this past weekend.

Looking forward to your advice…

Hard to say exactly why the 232 would stove pipe but aside from limp wrist maybe the range ammo they provide is under-powered cheapest-available, dirtiest on earth ammo? Also, range guns aren't known for being kept clean and oiled.

Did you try shooting it yourself--did it stove pipe? There's really nothing to tweak for a specific user for stove piping. The pistol either works or it doesn't.

EDIT: couldn't help but google it, sounds like limp wristing. If she can't work the slide properly you need to keep looking anyway:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-432587.html

Last edited:
I would assume rental guns to be poorly maintained. The 232 has a goods reputation. If she likes the 232, did she like the 238?

IMHO, other than the fact that the 232 is a little large for a .380, compared to what is available now.
The 232 is a fantastic gun. I've had one for years, with absolutely zero issues. Very controllable recoil, slim for carry, and pretty damn accurate. If she likes it, and is comfortable with it, go for it. I think there is a reason there aren't many for sale in the classifieds, people tend to keep them. I think it is a great alternative to a Walter PPK. Less slide bite!

I would assume rental guns to be poorly maintained. The 232 has a goods reputation. If she likes the 232, did she like the 238?

She has not had a chance to try the 238, but its on the list...the place we go does not have one for rent, but if they have a used one they probably will let her try it.

I also think the condition of the gun was suspect (i.e. dirty). It gave me the same trouble. That's not to say I wasn't limp wristing it; I am still a noob.

Last edited:
I rented guns before. After I was done the attending person immediately put the gun back in the display cabinet four the next customer. Granted, the gun may have been maintained well, I had no problems with it, but who's to say they ever cleaned, lubricated or inspected for wear or damage.

I would judge the feel of a gun when renting but I wouldn't base my opinion of reliability on a rental.

Has your wife tried a good steel framed revolver in 38 special? I would suggest it if racking a slide is a difficult operation for her. I would try a medium frame first, then try an SP101 or a Model 60.

I would recommend the P238 also. Both my fiance and I have one and she hasnt had a problem with the slide.

The stove pipe could be because of limp wristing. This is not a problem with the gun since it would most likely happen on other guns as well if she had the same grip. This is something that she could train for. I cannot explain why she would limpwrist just that one time though, so it's possible the stove pipe happend for other reasons. Do you know if the same ammo was used as previous times? It could also be that the gun was not properly cleaned, and not a problem with the gun.

She has not had a chance to try the 238, but its on the list...the place we go does not have one for rent, but if they have a used one they probably will let her try it.

I also think the condition of the gun was suspect (i.e. dirty). It gave me the same trouble. That's not to say I wasn't limp wristing it; I am still a noob.

Sounds more like the gun is dirty or the ammo weak if it happened with you too. Next time try a good two hand hold and rest on something while firing to test the "limp wristing" theory.

Range guns do give guns a bad name. I had a 1911 malfunction at the S&W range and the range dude just brushed it off as, "the range guns get more abuse than cleaning". It's a silly way to let people try out your product.

I have seen a gunsmith tune a 1911 to make the slide feel like its sliding on butter, very easy to pull back.
I would have thought a smith could also fine tune the 232 to react the same way.
Would a call to a person like Greg Derr be advisable or am I completely wrong thinking he may be able to do something like that.

Also if she really likes the P232 then I suggest getting some carry/defensive ammo, what she would actually be using for her CCW and test it directly with that gun. It is always nice to confirm your carry weapon will eat up anything you feed it.

The P232 is oversized and fires a crappy caliber. They are pretty reliable though, and they have nice triggers. If every Sig P series had a trigger like the P232SL I had, Sig would be making a killing.

The only reason to buy one is because "you want one" , though. The guns are completely impractical otherwise.

-Mike

Here is my issue and I am not sure I articulated it in my earlier response. I believe that the 232 design is reliable. That settled, machines are liable for fumble from time to time. Murphy knocks when you least expect him. Given that, if your wife is unable to clear the malfunction of a particular firearm due to strength issues, that firearm is not suitable for her for self defense. You can play what ifs and try to have a gunsmith tweak the slide, but you are messing with a major component - potentialy making the firearm less reliable as designed, and cutting off the nose to spite the face. She should try some revolvers if she cannot work a slide with gross motor skills to clear a jam.

I have seen a gunsmith tune a 1911 to make the slide feel like its sliding on butter, very easy to pull back.
I would have thought a smith could also fine tune the 232 to react the same way.
Would a call to a person like Greg Derr be advisable or am I completely wrong thinking he may be able to do something like that.

First things first: Clean the gun, use good ammo, then learn how to hold and shoot properly. Spending money on customizing is a total waste if you don't have the basics down first. I've never handled a 232 but I've had a few experiences with the Walther PPKs and while they're slick looking guns a lot of the smaller blowbacks can be a bitch to rack because of the stiff springs and narrow slides. It takes considerable finger strength and dexterity to grip the slide while racking--they're just not for everyone. Same with the small frame Berettas, which I own and love but there's a reason they made tip up barrels [wink]

For plinking/paper punching start with a .22 pistol. What you save on ammo costs will justify the .22 price even if you buy a larger caliber later on. If you want carry protection try a .38 revolver or Glock 19/26.

I've taken newly minted LTC holders to the range to try my assortment and I always tell them: there's the gun you like the looks of and there's the gun you shoot well and rarely are they the same.

Last edited:
Buy a G26 and be done with it. It'll go BANG ever time she pulls the trigger. Small and easy to carry. Low maintenance.

Don't rag on me for suggesting a G26. My Summer carry is a P239 and Winter is a G36.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. This past weekend we spent some time with the Sig P226 and my wife had no trouble handling it, even in the few cases of jams (maybe 3-4 out of 250 rnds). Seems the bigger slide was easier to grip for her small hands. Go figure.

We also picked up a gripper and squeeze ball and she's working her hands religiously every day. She has no interest in being limited to what guns she can shoot by the strength of her hands. Gotta love that.

Again, thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. This past weekend we spent some time with the Sig P226 and my wife had no trouble handling it, even in the few cases of jams (maybe 3-4 out of 250 rnds). Seems the bigger slide was easier to grip for her small hands. Go figure.

Definitely. There are a bunch of reasons for this. Ergonomically it is easier to grip something 3/4" wide than say 1/4". Mechanically even though the Sig 232 .38 is a lower powered caliber than the 9 mm Sig 226 it has a stiffer spring because it's a simple blow back (spring absorbs the recoil 100%), it has a smaller slide (less mass to counter the blowback) and it is a shorter slide (less movement requires more spring resistance per inch of movement).

If you're hooked on Sigs try the Sig 239. It will have a slightly stiffer recoil spring because it has a shorter slide but it's a single stack mag with a thinner grip than the double stack 226 so I bet she'll find it more comfortable to shoot.

Or a Glock 19. Just try it: slim grip, little longer slide than the 239 and higher capacity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom