Sig P232 Discontinued....Let It Rip!

92G

recent announcement by Sig that the P232 is officially discontinued, the P232 just became considerably more fun to fondle and clean.

would like to start a thread where we can share our love, disgust, envy, praise, disappointment, or other feelings about the P232. and for those of you who still have one, perhaps now thinking about holding on to it? Gunbroker has almost none available...prices already going up.

Personally I find the P232 to be way too heavy to compete w modern .380 blowback pistols, but still sexy, comfortable and unmistakeably German....which means I love it.

So P232, what say you?

Love mine. It's one of the most natural shooters I own. Wish it was a 9mm but still love the design, grip and shooting abilities.

My buddy owns one. Always busted 'em over it but shot it once. Sweet natural pointer this pistol is. Hate the caliber but he's recoil sensitive when it comes to handguns. Very European looking, on my friends, the mag release was on the bottom of the grip. Don't know if they ever changed that.

It was actually the first gun I was interested in buying when I was researching my first purchase during the wait for my LTC. I ended up going with a SR9c instead though after learning about the downsides of the .380. I have nothing against .380 at this point as I have a BG for summer carry, but price and availability make it not a good round if you like to practice frequently. I love the look of the 232 though.

I've owned a few of them over the years, it was my summer carry as well until I bought a PM9. I always thought it was one of Sigs best products. Should have expected it after Beretta killed off the 84/85s.

I think it's one of the most beautiful designs out there today. Never picked one up as the slide was ridiculously hard to rack. May have to reconsider now...

My wife is looking for one but wants to shoot one first. Guess she better get a move on it.

while the P232 is a cool gun, from a practicality standpoint it is outshined by most other .380's on the market. Big downsides to the P232 are the mag release (located under grip), mag must be pulled out - don't drop free usually, direct blowback = much heavier spring which makes slide difficult to rack for most shooters. plus the P232 is easily 5-10 oz heavier than other .380s out there.

in contrast, something like the G42 is lighter, better recoiling, easier to manipulate slide, much simpler magazine removal/insertion and probably less sensitive to changing ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty of them out there, the 230 is the same gun basically.

i have never fired a P230 but have held them. my understanding is they lack a firing pin safety....i have no hard data to suggest it is an "unsafe" gun but personally I kinda like having the firing pin safety of the P232.

recent announcement by Sig that the P232 is officially discontinued, the P232 just became considerably more fun to fondle and clean.

would like to start a thread where we can share our love, disgust, envy, praise, disappointment, or other feelings about the P232. and for those of you who still have one, perhaps now thinking about holding on to it?

The P232 is the answer to a question that I've never asked. The heel mag release is stupid and the gun is stupidly large for a .380. My Kahr K9 is significantly smaller and is a real caliber (9mm).

The P232 is simply long past its sell by date. It was obsolete 15+ years ago.

I have a 5 Sigs in different models (mostly early) because I like them but a major reason is that they all operate the same. Controls are all the same so that I don't even have to think about what I'm carrying. I don't just carry one model.

With this model going out I might have to wait for one to show up even though it has a dumb mag release IMO.

I fired a friend's P232 many years ago and compared it to my Interarms Walther PPK/s. Seemed to me that the felt recoil of the Sig wasn't as harsh as the Walt. The Sig is a little bigger and it had rubber grips so that may have made the slight difference.

I almost bought a P232 a few years ago but since I already have the PPK/s, a couple East German Makarovs and a Polish P-64, I don't really need another all-steel, blowback operated, fixed barrel gun in pussy caliber. [wink]

I had the SL and was the last one made on Germany, my bro inlaw at SIG got it for me and said there were 976 orders for it, I got it for under 500 and have since got away from the underpowered overly expensive 380. No regrets

while the P232 is a cool gun, from a practicality standpoint it is outshined by most other .380's on the market. Big downsides to the P232 are the mag release (located under grip), mag must be pulled out - don't drop free usually, direct blowback = much heavier spring which makes slide difficult to rack for most shooters. plus the P232 is easily 5-10 oz heavier than other .380s out there.

in contrast, something like the G42 is lighter, better recoiling, easier to manipulate slide, much simpler magazine removal/insertion and probably less sensitive to changing ammo.

For .380's, we've got an original Colt Mustang, a Sig P238, a G42 and the Sig P232. I used to carry the Colt Mustang a lot, and the P238's almost identical to it. These days, since I carry the G34, when I want a pocket gun, I take the G42.

I dislike the magazine release just as much as you do, for the same reason that I dislike the Ruger Mark II release - it's a pita. My wife is left-handed and it's easier for her to manipulate it than most of the other mag releases. Plus, she *LIKES* that gun, and since she's the one carrying it and shooting it, that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom