• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig p232

I'm looking to purchase a Sig P232 and have a few questions.

I'm not familiar with a lot of hand guns. I grew up a hunter and have rifles, shotgun and have built a Hawken black powder 50 cal. but hand guns are new territory.
I want a simple, compact handgun for the house and travel for a bit of self-defense. I love the look of the Sig but there is talk by some that it's not adequate for self defense. I know it won't knock down a charging grizzley or stop a maniac on meth with one shot but I'm more concerned about a deterent. Where I live, just knowing someone has a handgun can be a strong pursuader against pusuing trouble...crime etc.. So what are the thoughts our there from savy hand gun owners. Is a .380 round enough? And also, where can I find one? The gun shop said they are hard to find. They are California compliant so if I located one I'd have to buy it and have it shipped here and then do the paperwork with the gun shop...at least that's what I understand.
M. from Bakersfield, CA.

My opinion is, the P232 is one of the most pleasant .380's to shoot. It is a heavy gun, and really soaks up any recoil. On the other hand, there are plenty of 9mm hand guns out there, comparable in weight and size to the 232. And some smaller and lighter. If I had to choose between 2 guns in a similar size, I would choose the 9mm over the .380 any day.

I think the 232 is a great gun. It is a lot of fun to shoot.

But.. By all measures, it's too big, too heavy, too underpowered and too expensive compared to other offerings.

If this is a 1st gun for someone with limited experience, I would probably opt for a short-ish bbl 357 wheel gun. A lot more flexible and many options.

232? Just yuck. All the way around.

.380 sucks as a caliber. The 232 is too big for pocket and if you are going to carry a gun in a belt holster, you can carry a much better gun. The heel mag release is horribly outdated and slows down reloads significantly. DA/SA just plain sucks as well.

If you want a small pocket gun, get a Kahr PM9. If you want to carry a gun in a belt holster, there are dozens of better choices than the 232.

For home defense, bigger is better -- you get less recoil, a better grip, and a longer sight radius, all of which make the gun easier to shoot. Get something like a Glock 17. If you really want a SIG, get a 229.

For concealed carry, if you want slim, get a Kahr PM9 or K9. If you want a slim SIG, consider a 239. If you want a Glock, get a Glock 19 and use it for home defense and carry.

Seriously, the 232 is not a gun I would recommend for either home defense or concealed carry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom