SIG P320 compact legos....

My MP17 finally came in after 5 months of waiting.

Its pretty fun to play with, but I have no range to try it out now.

A few issues:
1. It allows you to mount RMR and Burris pattern mini red dot sights directly. But for an Aimpoint micro pattern optic, you need to attach a 2” keymod picatinny rail which isn’t included. So... I’m now waiting for one to come in from Amazon before I can mount my optic.

2. The initial versions had a separate safety located above and forward of the magazine catch. I was counting on that so I could safely sling the gun. But they removed that feature at some point while altering the MP17 to work with the Legion version of the X5. I didn’t realize they removed that safety, and now I can’t safely attach the single point sling I got for it. I’ll have to keep an eye out for a P320 trigger pack with a safety.

3. The manual of arms for moving the slide back and using the slide catches is awkward. It will be okay, but will take some getting used to.

4. Not an issue, but I really hope an affordable threaded X5 barrel comes on the market so I can add a comp or covertcomp linear comp. But I’m not spending $320 on a new barrel from bar-sto.
View attachment 352853

View attachment 352852
Is that thing up front a mag or a grip that looks like a mag?

The news about them offering just the FCU is causing me to reconsider as well.

This FCU program Sig is doing is probably going to push me over the edge on the 320. This would make it very easy for me to start buying parts and keep the cost spread over time.

I dumped both of mine. They were decent guns but I ended up preferring the Glocks and CZs I already have... although I will admit, the citations in the most recent lawsuit didn't give me
warm fuzzies. (I think the plaintiffs assertions are bogus, like how can he claim it fired in the holster and blew the holster apart if he wasnt f***ing with the gun? the stock P320 holster is open ended...) That said, in the citations, there are some where a post-recall gun fired while in the holster. I realize a lot of cops are idiots, but some of the stuff is disturbing if you dig into it. These aren't the typical glock-type NDs where something was stuck in the holster, etc. Granted, some of those guns could have been f***ed up. At a bare minimum, get yourself a plastic mallet and beat the shit out of it while its loaded at the range before trusting it. [laugh] That's a pretty damn good test against "vibration" etc.

I keep finding myself hot and cold on those brakes.
Well the cool part about this system is at least it's a modular so you can pretty much do what you want with it and if it doesn't suit your fancy you can sell it or whatever or change it over..... comps are somewhat effective with the right loads etc...

For anybody interested in an MP17, Flux has an updated version now with manual safety, and improved controls. It’s live on their site for purchase right now. As much as I like my MP17, this one solves all the little issues I had with it. My order is placed and there will probably be an original, slightly used MP17 for sale in a few months 😉
View attachment 392775

With all of Sig's hype about the modularity of this system, I'm surprised they were beaten to the punch on actually doing something with the module.

You mean beaten to the punch on stuff nobody will buy?

People must be buying it if they're on gen 2 already. But that's besides the point. I was just pointing out that Sig makes this modular action that can be moved frame to frame without jumping through any hoops, makes a huge deal about it, then does nearly nothing to showcase that end. Sure, they have a few modular grips, but this concept, like it or hate it, is super creative use of this concept. Which is why I was pointing out that Sig is letting third party manufacturers eat their lunch on this.

People must be buying it if they're on gen 2 already. But that's besides the point. I was just pointing out that Sig makes this modular action that can be moved frame to frame without jumping through any hoops, makes a huge deal about it, then does nearly nothing to showcase that end. Sure, they have a few modular grips, but this concept, like it or hate it, is super creative use of this concept. Which is why I was pointing out that Sig is letting third party manufacturers eat their lunch on this.
Sig doesn't care about something that's only going to sell a couple of hundred units. It would likely cost them more money than they'd ever make on it.
That's where these guys come in with their stuff, they can capture the market efficiently of maybe 200 weirdos who will buy that stuff. Good for them, too.

Sig doesn't care about something that's only going to sell a couple of hundred units. It would likely cost them more money than they'd ever make on it.
That's where these guys come in with their stuff, they can capture the market efficiently of maybe 200 weirdos who will buy that stuff. Good for them, too.

Then why even bother with modular actions then? The entire point is to customize and swap frames, giving the end user options without having to buy a new gun.

Then why even bother with modular actions then? The entire point is to customize and swap frames, giving the end user options without having to buy a new gun.
Ergonomic options. The killer app of the grip frames is making a product that can be sold to more buyers. Most people aren't going to turn their p320 into an erector set like this, though.

Ergonomic options. The killer app of the grip frames is making a product that can be sold to more buyers. Most people aren't going to turn their p320 into an erector set like this, though.

You're talking about low sales and then you say the "killer app" is grip modules. I don't see it when people already have the option to buy the exact pistol they want. But if you tell me that I have the option to mess around with PDW set ups without asking the government permission, then you have my attention.

You're talking about low sales and then you say the "killer app" is grip modules. I don't see it when people already have the option to buy the exact pistol they want. But if you tell me that I have the option to mess around with PDW set ups without asking the government permission, then you have my attention.
Grip modules are 30-50 apiece and can be pounded out at high margin. Also given current conditions, no, people don't have the choice of everything. Sig is likely making a killing off modules alone right now. Can't get a p320 in the config you want? For 50 bucks plus mags you can change it.

These carbine PDW things aren't new. See CAA roni, blah blah. A bunch of people will buy this stuff and fool themselves into believing they have a PCC, fine, i get it, but it's not earth shattering. Most people wll buy this stuff and it will collect dust after the novelty wears off. This isn't a new movie, and it ends the same way.

If you like it, great, glad they made something you enjoy. I think it will sell more than previous iterations of this crap, but i bet the end game is the same. Hopefully these guys turn a profit so they won't end up underwater when the demand saturates. At least they're in the game at a good time.

From what I gathered from an interview with the head of Sig USA, they’re really not making anything off all the parts kits, grips, and standalone FCUs for the P320. They’re doing it to keep/build a fan base, they focus on building whole firearms because “that’s the business they’re in”. It’s the reason why MCX caliber/barrel kits and such are never in stock.

As for Flux, it’s a bit different than the CAA Roni. The CAA is firmly in the toy category. And I admit the first gen MP17 was also in that category because of the lack of safety and some manual of arms issues. But this new one has rectified the issues and would be a legitimate pdw. The company has claimed that some USSOCOM units are testing it to replace the MP7, but that could definitely be PR bluster. At least they’re not claiming it’s “adopted” by a military unit like Hornady and the 6mm ARC. But yeah, I’m not holding my breath about seeing it in military hands, even in a limited fashion. Though I could see it happen for PSD roles because it’s a simple swap of existing arms and parts in the supply chain(M17/M18), and it has my curiosity piqued.

Last edited:
With all of Sig's hype about the modularity of this system, I'm surprised they were beaten to the punch on actually doing something with the module.
I'm not surprised for the same reason Honda doesn't need to develop most of the farkles tuners put in their Civics.

The benefit to Sig is that the market now has a growing reason to build accessories for their pistol over any other. If their gambit pays off, this could be the next AR15. In a few years, when all the patents (on this model) run out, their name will be synonymous with the accessory market built around it. Meanwhile, those accessory manufacturers are paying licenses for the name on their packaging and for the actual design interface.

If this market thrives, this pistol will have been the Glock killer. Why build 80% Gen-3 Glocks to pair with your Lego AR, when you can build a Lego P320 in any configuration you like? You could have an AR-pistol and P320-rifle for the lulz.

The smartest thing Sig can do here is focus on the base platform, making it as robust a possible, and collect license fees while providing a modicum of support to the accessory manufacturers. Their investment is safe while infinite others pay them for permission to take risks.

If they were really clever, they'd invite anyone that makes something for this pistol to do an official 10 minute demo slot at their booth at SHOT, and host events at the shoot where people can try their toys. This is all free advertising for their platform.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised for the same reason Honda doesn't need to develop most of the farkles tuners put in their Civics.

Well, I'm sure Honda would love the money, but not at the risk factor that those aftermarket parts bring to the equation (and warranty). I suppose that lines up with what drgrant was saying about Sig not wanting to spend the R&D on something like this. I'm sure their QA process would make it a financial nightmare, where it would only make sense with either military contract type figures or P365 units sold money.

But you're all making sense here. Just a shame that Sig couldn't have been the manufacturer, as the true value to me of a modular system is not having to ask government permission or futz around with Form 1's to get a PDW-like result as an option to an existing pistol. I would have preferred that to have been from Sig. But I agree with pappym3, in that this appears to be more than just a skin over a pistol. You actually install the modular action and the slide rides on rails on this device, so it's a little more than just a slapped on frame. So I'd consider this a step above a Roni in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom