Sig Sauer Academy

Any LEO ever attend any of the academy courses offered by these guys? Just looking at their web site and they do have a ton of stuff to choose from but I'm not sure what to sign up for...looking for suggestions from those who know please.
Thankx

I am not a LEO, but, I have take three courses (intermediate handgun) from them within the past six months and have enjoyed all of the immensely.

P.S. All of the instructors I had were either current or retired military/police.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you guys ...can I ask if you have a few minutes to sit and type, could you send me a PM and walk me thru what a day is like at the academy for a course like intermediate handgun? Just wondering how much is class room seminar and how much is actual range fire and excercises.
Thanks a lot.

Thug23, i too am not LEO but have taken probably 10 courses, atleast, at Sig Academy. To name a few, I have taken close quarters pistol operator, low light operator and extreme CQB with instructors Todd Rassa and Mike Akehurst. All of the above classes had atleast two LEO in the class. The extreme QCB class had two LEO pistol instructors in it that learned alot and said they would petition their chief to come back for more courses at Sig.

Last edited:
Myself and my buddy are both training whores, and we have invested thousands of dollars of training at the Sig Sauer Academy.
We have been to other locations, near and far, but for some of the classes at Sig, and the reasonable driving distance, you can't beat it. (Unless you are looking for a Magpul Dynamics or Blackwater type class)

Frankly, we are done taking general admission courses (civilian) because unfortunately in every class you end up with one Yahoo, or retard that souldn't be there and it slows the class down a lot. Our opinion is, when you're there, you are there to TRAIN, not be in an "advanced" class and have to show people how to draw spare mags and load them into their handgun, etc...

One class that was taught by Scott Reidy from Nashua PD is the "Patrol Response to an Active Shooter" (or Active Shooter Response) is what it is called on the site. Scott is on Nashua's SWAT team, and he runs a great class for LE.

The primary "in-house" instructors are great; a lot of knowledge and background with the guys.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or ask here.

sf3pox1, you are right for the money, the caliber of individual instructors and location it cannot be beat. As for the non-swarn(civilian) and LEO participants, the two LEO instructors in my last course, which is an advanced course commented that they would not trust a single fellow officer on their PD to perform the drills that were performed. This was not the first time i had heard this from LEO at Sig either. Took their concealed carry with a retiring Chief from a NH town who was vested for the first half of the course, primarily non-swarn participants. He took the vest off halfway between and said it was the first time he had ever trained with non-swarn and the first time he ever felt comfortable enough to take off his vest after countless years of range time with LEO. There are as many "yahoos" in LEO i guess.

Sig Arms cant be beat, great training. I too primarily only take the LEO only classes. I have taken a class with civilans in it and there was one fellow they removed from the line- he neeeded a basic class he was in over his head and everybody knew it. I wouldnt hesitate to take Any class SIg Offers. The vast majority of shooters are good people who enjoy firearms.

Sig Academy, is pretty damn good, the location makes them even better. Though I will say this they can get "pricey" especially when you factor in frangable ammo (when needed) although they are often good about swapping out duty ammo for frangable...So it all depends on who is paying...I can get a few out my chief every year, then I ussually take a few more classes on my dime.

I went through Defensive Pistol with an all-civilian group. Great bunch of people, and the instructors really rolled with the pace of the class. They felt confident enough to set up an IDPA stage for us to run through when we had some time left over at the end. Sign up for their newsletter, because they offer great deals on a few classes every time it comes out.

SIGArms Academy

I attended a class long ago when it was still LEO only. The course took place around Christmas, they had limited signup (4 of us ... one from PEI, another from NC, one from NH, and moi) but they still conducted the class. If current training is still of the same, dare I say it .. caliber, you can't go wrong.

I agree with some of the other posters ... many LEO have very poor gun handling skills but I've seen just as poor in non-LEO. The difference is that "everyone expects" LEO to be skilled.

Call them up and ask. It will be very expensive, whether you buy it from them or from a local shop. Frangible ammo is stupidly expensive.

I was just at a class 2 weeks ago and the Lead Free Frangible in 40 S&W was $24.00 for a box of 50. It was actually $2.00 a box less than the local gun store.

So basically what ever class I take there I'm looking at $200 to $400+ for ammo added to my class and transportation expenses. Good thing I found this out now and not when I showed up at the academy with half a case of my regular range ammo in the trunk.

The course outlines on their web page are pretty good at telling you how much Frangible Ammo you will need and if you enroll you recieve a confirmation explaining everything. I also wondered what the price of their ammo was so I just sent Kathleen an e-mail and asked her. As always if you have any questions feel free to asker her. [email protected] She was very helpful.

I would also recommend putting some bandaids in your range bag. After shooting several hundreds of rounds, you may find friction points on your hands and fingers you may not have found before. I know my thumb became sore with all the reloading you do in the class.

Back
Top Bottom