Sighting in an eotech.

So you are saying that from 0 - infinity meters, once I mount an Eotech on a rifle, it becomes a death ray laser, always hitting where you put the dot, regardless of mechanical offset and zero distance?
The term you are looking for is parallax. Most red dot sights, both Eotech and Aimpoints are nearly parallax free. As a result, changes in your head position do not create a change in aiming point.

[rolleyes]

Yes... it becomes a death ray laser.

Maybe I should have added "... at known distance"... you're shooting at 25meters... you're zeroed at 25meters... it doesn't matter where the red dot is in the window... as long as the red dot is on the target the round will hit the target.

Aren't the purpose of these sights for short to medium range targets? How would the military use something like that for cqb if it moves like that?

An EOTech is easily useful at 300 yards thanks to the 1MOA dot. At point blank ranges like you showed in the video, you should be point shooting anyway, not using sights.

Last edited:
This. The wall is way to close to the sight. Eotech sights are parallax free after 20 yards or something like that. At less than 20 yards, it ain't gonna matter. Look in the instruction manual. If it is a real Eotech, once you aim at something far enough away, this should go away. Buy a laser bore sighter for $25 (the ones that load like a round) to get it close, this will save you a lot of time.

They all do that on very close targets. Take it outside and try the same thing on a 50-100 yard target. the dot won't move off the target while it moves across the screen

Last edited:
I took it to the range yesterday and i just picked the center of the target and i came up with this.
DSCN0789.jpg

That was at 25 yards. Although the sight still moves after i sighted it in where ever it is pointing at when i look through it is where it hit. At the end of the day thats all i ask.

Last edited:
The reticule will never be stationary in the window. If you move your head at all... the reticule will follow.

Stop worrying about where the reticule is in regards to its location in the window. Just put the reticule on the target... and you will hit the target, regardless of whether the reticule is positioned in the center, top left, right, or lower left or right of the window. (assuming you're shooting at the distance you're zeroed for)

When you're sighting it in... just keep the reticule on the center of your target (and for shits and giggles, in the center of the window, though it doesn't matter). If your rounds hit where the reticule is aiming... you're good to go.

Last edited:
The reticule will never be stationary in the window. If you move your head at all... the reticule will follow.

Stop worrying about where the reticule is in regards to its location in the window. Just put the reticule on the target... and you will hit the target, regardless of whether the reticule is positioned in the center, top left, right, or lower left or right of the window. (assuming you're shooting at the distance you're zeroed for)

When you're sighting it in... just keep the reticule on the center of your target (and for shits and giggles, in the center of the window, though it doesn't matter). If your rounds hit where the reticule is aiming... you're good to go.

Yep im good now. Thanks for the help guys

You're working with a simplified version of this technology (you might need a flightsuit for it):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to repeat everything everyone has already said but basically the crosshair of an EOTech or dot of an Aimpoint is free floating. I use micro dots and have always found it funny when people will ask how you sight it in. Put the optic on the gun and drop the dot to the top of your front post if you are shooting irons and you are 95% done. Then you just have to tweak it.

The last one I helped a guy set up took less than 10 minutes and 15 rounds. Zeroed it to the irons and then had him shoot a group of 2. I worked the adjustments while he stayed looking down the sights. Done quick and easy with a very tight group at 50 yards.

I can put rounds on a 300 meter target consistently and to be honest, that's what I expect from a 14.5" barrel.

Ultimately they are designed as close battle optics and were designed to do the best work at 100 or less.

Personally I don't care for the EOTech one bit as I have seen far too many failures and even a couple during gun fights. They are shit to me and i will never run one.

Back
Top Bottom