Signs and Symptoms of Non-Serious Buyers

Sometimes I forgot to label the post "SOLD", so that's on me. But usually I do, and sometimes even if the title states it and I put in bold letters "SOLD", I still get asked if it's available. Have people forgotten how to read, or did they never learn?

Whenever I buy or sell anything privately, not limited to guns, I run into a certain number of people you just can't do business with and I give up.

Questions are fair and I don't mind, some may seem dumb to me but I will answer them completely.

What I do mind are when a seller or buyer fail to respond in a prompt manner or follow through on scheduled meetings, agreements or communications - ie if you are going to call tonight that means tonight, if you are going to come pick it up Saturday at 10 am, if you are going to be available to meet me at some time we agreed to.

Additionally it does drive me nuts and is a bad sign when I ask 4 questions and get an answer to 3. I really prefer Q&A via email since it usually is more convenient for everyone and don't mind calling; some people seem to want to communicate via email but lack the basic skills to make it go smoothly so it takes 4 communications instead of 1.

Excessive stroking.

I thought that made it red, not gray. ;)

The only issue I've ever had selling was knives on BF. I had people from all over come out of the woodwork to WANT to buy my knives. "I'm pulling my money together, will you hold it." No. No I won't. If it's still here when your money is together, it's yours. But I'm not holding up the world for your lack of planning. My gosh, do these people still live in Mommy's basement????

The only real a**h*** I encountered here was a couple years ago I listed an Aimpoint Comp M4 for sale. In total had about 10 hrs of use and still 99% new condition, one of the best RDS you can have, but as others said I was selling because I wanted the money to fund something new without dipping into the bank acct.

The Comps are $850.00+ all day long, and I listed it for 600.00, clearly stating Price Is Firm. So this new guy here PM’s me, has zero public posts except for maybe 4-5 WTS’s, saying I def want it, asks some questions that were answered in detail, asks for some more pics, send multiple for him w/a copy of the original receipt, date of purchase etc.

His PM’s went on for several days and we start making a plan to meet and that’s when he said, “I’ll only give you 400.00 for it.” Obviously was trying to draw me in to the sale thinking I’d just take the cash anyway. I just said “Sorry. There’s plenty of RDS in your price range but this is not one of them.”

That’s when he became a complete a**h***, telling me “it’s used, blah blah and I can get the same site for 375.00 anywhere and I’m offering you 400.00!”

How does that guy not understand how stupid that sounds? lol I think he sent me one more nasty gram after that and I just ignored him. Total douche. But even with “Price is Firm” in the ad, still got several lowball offers but no real dinks besides him.

I agree though, I’ve found that anything that goes on for more than 2-3 days in PM’s generally doesn’t go anywhere and they just stop replying after saying they def want it. Thick skin, polite and detailed responses and not being a desperate seller or buyer is really the only way to survive the classifieds.

One thing that is a big turn off to me is when people keep asking for your cell # to complete a transaction. May just be me but I pay for my membership here, and I list or buy from here due to that cost, so unless you’re a known member to me, with real stats and post counts then no, I don’t want to give you my number, we started the transaction here via PM’s and we can finish it here via PM’s, we meet in person and you go on your own way with a handshake and a thank you.

If you have something in demand, eventually the right taker will come to you.
In the meanwhile, you have to deal with a bunch of Richard Holsters until that happens

I hate to say it, but I've had a number of non-serious buyers making inquiries on a few ads I've posted here in the classified section and on GB over the past few months. I understand information is very important on making an informed decision about a high priced item....but sometimes there are questions that make no sense or are just asked for the sake of conversation. Here are a few warning signs I've learned over the past few months for folks that take up a ton of time and never really buy anything:

1) Does it come with a sling and case? Why doesn't it come with a sling? What did you do with the sling that came with the gun?
2) Take the bolt apart and show me pictures of it broken down. When did you replace your extractor spring? What type of cleaner did you use on the bolt?
3) Did you ever shoot 62 grain bullets instead of 55 grain through the barrel? Show me pictures of the barrel with your bore light form different angles.
4) Why does your parkerizing look more gray than black on your AR in your pictures?
5) Any conversation lasting more than 4 days seem to go no where.
6) Despite multiple pictures and statements about stocks being pinned and muzzle breaks being pinned and welded and stating that a gun is from the mid 2000's....Is this MA compliant? Is this pre-healy compliant?
7) Why is your price so high? I saw another price for $100 less than yours.

I'm sure there are other comments that could be added to the list. So when I get these questions, I"m less inclined to answer them
Im always interested in barrel condition and a history of what ammo might have passed through it. If the gun normally came with accessories and the buyer knows they are going to ask.
Me I have no idea where the useless slings went that came with my SKS, mak90 and the small stuff like the cleaning kits.
Just answer questions best tou can you just bail on the buyer before time is wasted

Sometimes I forgot to label the post "SOLD", so that's on me. But usually I do, and sometimes even if the title states it and I put in bold letters "SOLD", I still get asked if it's available. Have people forgotten how to read, or did they never learn?
Maybe there hoping it did not really sell

Like I posted in the other thread, I plan on doing a guide for people here who have no clue.

Way to much BS goes on with tire kickers. Stupid questions, dumb questions, blatant refusal to agree to selling terms. Its getting retarded at this point.

Still have 2 sales tied up right now. It seems in both cases the users forget about it and simply never came back to continue the PMs. That would be best case. Worst case is they don't want it anymore and are to inconsiderate to let me know so I can sell to someone else.

One thing that is a big turn off to me is when people keep asking for your cell # to complete a transaction. May just be me but I pay for my membership here, and I list or buy from here due to that cost, so unless you’re a known member to me, with real stats and post counts then no, I don’t want to give you my number, we started the transaction here via PM’s and we can finish it here via PM’s, we meet in person and you go on your own way with a handshake and a thank you.

For me that's a bit of a red flag when someone is so hesitant to speak. Basically it can mean they are trying to be more anonymous. Also can be difficult when it comes to meeting someone, ie "I think I am here do you see my truck?" is best done via phone call.

Sure if I wanted something and the person is able to communicate effectively I would give it a go over IM but would be a bit of a strike 1 for me, especially for an expensive item.

I don't mind someone negotiating but once I accept the offer and we meet up don't try to re negotiate ...ive walked away from 2 deals on here due to that even though they then offered to pay the agreed amount.
Please use the feedback system correctly. Youve given out no negative or neutral feedback. Let us know who's not worth dealing with.

Looks like you've also left a lot less feedback than you've received. Let us know whose good to deal with.

People should always give trade feedback

Please use the feedback system correctly. Youve given out no negative or neutral feedback. Let us know who's not worth dealing with.

Looks like you've also left a lot less feedback than you've received. Let us know whose good to deal with.

People should always give trade feedback
so true..if you noticed all the missing feedback is from 2014 and 2015 ..I actually didn't realize about the feedback ..ever since then I always leave it

For me that's a bit of a red flag when someone is so hesitant to speak. Basically it can mean they are trying to be more anonymous. Also can be difficult when it comes to meeting someone, ie "I think I am here do you see my truck?" is best done via phone call.

Sure if I wanted something and the person is able to communicate effectively I would give it a go over IM but would be a bit of a strike 1 for me, especially for an expensive item.
Well the key words were ‘known to me as a regular poster’ vs some guy with zero cred so far that wants to exchange #’s after one post. Sorry but no, I really don’t want to give out my phone number to you. If that’s a loss than so be it.

Why would it be so difficult to use PM’s here? It’s 2021, not 1995, everybody has a smart phone, FB, Twitter, etc all converse using DM’s/PM’s/IM’s on a daily basis, and if you can’t find a particular vehicle in a parking lot that’s kind of saying something by itself IMO.

I don't care how stupid your question is or how ridiculous your offer is, I'll give you the most respectful answer I'm capable of.

The thing that bothers me the most is when you just ghost. Please just give me the courtesy of a reply letting me know where your at.
Please let us know via feedback who these people are. Great example for a neutral feedback

Might have been a lack of clarity on my part, am I supposed to sh!t on someone when no deal has transpired?
Letting us know you were ghosted by a user who held up your sale is not shitting on them.

Its saving future members a lot of time. This week, so far, I've had 5 ghosted says between 2 buyers. One of them is on day 4, the other 1. If it continues much longer ill leave a feedback indicating the basics

I hate to say it, but I've had a number of non-serious buyers making inquiries on a few ads I've posted here in the classified section and on GB over the past few months. I understand information is very important on making an informed decision about a high priced item....but sometimes there are questions that make no sense or are just asked for the sake of conversation. Here are a few warning signs I've learned over the past few months for folks that take up a ton of time and never really buy anything:

1) Does it come with a sling and case? Why doesn't it come with a sling? What did you do with the sling that came with the gun?
2) Take the bolt apart and show me pictures of it broken down. When did you replace your extractor spring? What type of cleaner did you use on the bolt?
3) Did you ever shoot 62 grain bullets instead of 55 grain through the barrel? Show me pictures of the barrel with your bore light form different angles.
4) Why does your parkerizing look more gray than black on your AR in your pictures?
5) Any conversation lasting more than 4 days seem to go no where.
6) Despite multiple pictures and statements about stocks being pinned and muzzle breaks being pinned and welded and stating that a gun is from the mid 2000's....Is this MA compliant? Is this pre-healy compliant?
7) Why is your price so high? I saw another price for $100 less than yours.

I'm sure there are other comments that could be added to the list. So when I get these questions, I"m less inclined to answer them
4 days? [shocked] Sounds like your gun is overpriced. If you can't get serious offers and close (get a commitment) within a day or two, your gun is either overpriced or something weird or that nobody wants.

Also, stupid prices basically attract stupid people. I'd much rather settle for making a little less and not dealing with morons.

Letting us know you were ghosted by a user who held up your sale is not shitting on them.

Its saving future members a lot of time. This week, so far, I've had 5 ghosted says between 2 buyers. One of them is on day 4, the other 1. If it continues much longer ill leave a feedback indicating the basics

How many of the people who ghosted you talked to you on the phone?

I'm on the fence on this, i see what you're saying (esp as a seller who has good rep) but on the other hand.... The phone call is the ultimate shit filter, that's why. ;) Also its better to have comms when setting up a meet. Some people can't get on NES when "afield" either because they're flip phone guys, etc. I usually would at least text someone with a meet eta if late, traffic, etc.

I get it, but I also try very hard not to allow it to happen to me.

If a person doesn't let me know when they'll get back to me then I'm setting the schedule. You don't follow the schedule, I'm moving on.

I'm doing business with the first person to follow through. Someone wants time to think about it, god bless, take all the time you need but I'm dealing with the first person who gets real.

All that said, I have NEVER had a deal on this forum that once negotiated did not go down exactly as planned.

I'm on the fence on this, i see what you're saying (esp as a seller who has good rep) but on the other hand.... The phone call is the ultimate shit filter, that's why. ;) Also its better to have comms when setting up a meet. Some people can't get on NES when "afield" either because they're flip phone guys, etc. I usually would at least text someone with a meet eta if late, traffic, etc.
Sure, but again, key words are ‘known to me as a regular here’. And besides that I’m a cranky MF and absolutely hate talking on the phone. lol

Q - What's the lowest price you'll take?
A - What's the highest price you'll pay?

Seriously? Would you make an offer like that on a house? I've got an asking price. When you follow up with an offer, then we're negotiating. Until then, you're just kicking tires.

Offering for $800 but trades need to value $1,000.
Yeah, I'll trade but I'll discount your goods the same as you discount mine. Or maybe I'll just not respond.

A guy put a FS/FT pistol on Armslist. I forget his asking price but it was worth around $600. He was asking higher but leaving negotiating room. I offered him two options, both on his want list but worth more than his pistol. I wrote "I'll trade your pistol and $300 for my pistol (nice Kimber, 5 magazines, original Tupperware & papers), or I'll trade your pistol and $400 for my rifle (Mini-14, flash hider, red dot scope, 3-5rd mags, 4-30rd mags, 3-40rd mags & case)." My offer had negotiating room also.

He responded that he'll take the trade for the rifle (didn't dicker) and we meet halfway, about an hour drive for both of us. We inspect the goods, everything is acceptable, but he has no cash. "I thought you were adding cash." He said. I read the emailed offer back to him. It was worded in a manner that couldn't be misunderstood and I told him that. "OK, no problem. How about we just trade straight up?" He says.

GFY.

That's 90% of the problem. To close you need to get people on the phone. There's a direct correlation between flakey buyers and shit comms. Esp for bigger ticket stuff.
Ive used the phone for so few negotiations thst I can't recall a single instance right now. I dont want to use the phone

Ive used the phone for so few negotiations thst I can't recall a single instance right now. I dont want to use the phone

Your prerogative, but if I'm driving more than 10 minutes from my house I want to hear the sound of your voice.

If you also want to tell me what you're wearing, that's totally up to you. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom