• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silencer use in MA

CrackPot

NES Member
I have been scouring MGL and the CMRs trying to find any reference to hunting with a silencer in MA. Because essentially no one can lawfully possess one it seems they left the law silent on the topic. Is anyone aware of anything forbidding it?

My plan is a LMT 300BLK pistol suppressed for dealing with coyotes. It is a pistol chambered in 38SPC or smaller so meets that requirement for night hunting. The use of a silencer I just want more eyes looking on the legality since I cannot find anything forbidding it.

I have been scouring MGL and the CMRs trying to find any reference to hunting with a silencer in MA. Because essentially no one can lawfully possess one it seems they left the law silent on the topic. Is anyone aware of anything forbidding it?

My plan is a LMT 300BLK pistol suppressed for dealing with coyotes. It is a pistol chambered in 38SPC or smaller so meets that requirement for night hunting. The use of a silencer I just want more eyes looking on the legality since I cannot find anything forbidding it.
Call me crazy.....but one would be in possession of a silencer in order to hunt with it right?

Well, Randy, as you know, being 07/SOT you can own one in Mass. In NH you can hunt with them per F&G. In Maine also but there you have to show that you are legal to own it. (Form 2,3 or 4). In general, laws tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. You might have to open a can of worms by petitioning Mass F&G. You have too much to lose by just "doing" it and becoming the test case. What may or not help is the fact that many states allow hunting with silencers. Good luck. Jack

Last edited:
Like many I always wanted a silencer, bought one for my mother in law and was very disappointed it didn’t work at all
To find the right one for the gun and caliber takes some research. There is a wealth of info on the "Silencer" forum. In my family, we use a Stag AR in 6.8 SPC and the Gemtech "Tracker" can (.30 cal.) for hunting. Works well. Jack.

The only way to legally possess a silencer in MA without LE or diplomatic immunity is to become a licensed manufacturer (07 FFL). This probably makes the issue so obscure that they forgot to regulate or ban it. Imagine that.
Precisely my current conclusion. I can find no regulations prohibiting their use while hunting and as we all know, everything is legal unless expressly prohibited by law.

To find the right one for the gun and caliber takes some research. There is a wealth of info on the "Silencer" forum. In my family, we use a Stag AR in 6.8 SPC and the Gemtech "Tracker" can (.30 cal.) for hunting. Works well. Jack.
What is the "silencer" forum?

I would like to buy one for a 6.5 creedmoor rifle. (free state) I don't know where to begin researching..

We all know about activist judges when GUNZ are involved. My interest is in knowing if there is a law or CMR prohibiting it or if I am "just" dealing with normal GUNZ issues.
Even if no law or CMR they could pull the "suitable" shit on you. "Your honor, the defendant obviously wants to have these deadly silencers to quietly shoot children in the school yard without being detected". Jack.

Even if no law or CMR they could pull the "suitable" shit on you. "Your honor, the defendant obviously wants to have these deadly silencers to quietly shoot children in the school yard without being detected". Jack.
Fortunately I will never have to worry about suitability in my current town.

I think he was trying to silence his mother in law, not her firearm [rofl]

Fortunately I will never have to worry about suitability in my current town.
That's great. Do you have a friendly contact at F&G who you could talk to about this? A warden is probably the only person who would question you in the woods. Even then you could probably pass the can off as a muzzle brake. Remember, I still have the 20 ga suppressed shotgun which has a Weaver rail on it for an optic. Pretty accurate with slugs. Maybe an insert could be put into the barrel to take .38 spl rounds. Jack.

Last edited:
Don't call it hunting.

I would say it is more of a research and development of your ammo and how it works on Coyotes under different conditions.

I suspect that @CrackPot knows more about the caliber restrictions for nighttime hunting in MA than I do, but I will still include a reference to the thread below.

The general consensus in that thread is that the nighttime handgun hunting rules are vague, but that a round larger than .38 special in any dimension might be considered too large by some F&G officers.

I will admit that most of my knowledge of this subject comes from that thread, so my understanding might be incomplete.

I use a silencer on my crossbow [rolleyes]

What is the "silencer" forum?

I would like to buy one for a 6.5 creedmoor rifle. (free state) I don't know where to begin researching..
Do your research at Pew Science, it's the only independent objective silencer data available and its good. I can help you through the process, I own over 50 silencers and I can say that without a doubt the CGS silencers are the best in my subjective opinion. Also, everybody loves Jack but Gemtech sucks, they were good 30 years ago...maybe.

What are the 4 elements that must be proven to be found guilty of possession of a silencer in ma
Is this like a test question where you know the answer, or are you actually trying to learn the answer? I would assume that they are pretty much the same as for large cap magazines, Pre or post ban was not an issue in the motivating case (Commonwealth v. John Cassidy - CASSIDY, COMMONWEALTH vs., 479 Mass. 527) since it was completely unlicensed possession.

First: That the defendant possessed an item;

Second: That the item meets the legal definition of "large capacity (weapon) (feeding device)";

Third: That the defendant knew that (he) (she) possessed that (weapon) (feeding device); and

Fourth: That the defendant knew that the (weapon) (feeding device) met the legal definition of a large capacity (weapon) (feeding device) or was capable of holding more than ten rounds of ammunition.

Do your research at Pew Science, it's the only independent objective silencer data available and its good. I can help you through the process, I own over 50 silencers and I can say that without a doubt the CGS silencers are the best in my subjective opinion. Also, everybody loves Jack but Gemtech sucks, they were good 30 years ago...maybe.

There is a "silencer party" every year in NH where multiple manufacturers bring their toys and an INCE (It stands for "Institute for Noise Control Engineering, and is not short for INCEL) certified engineer brings a lot of fancy instrumentation. I will find out if that data is available the next time I talk to Mr. "Noise Annoys".

So my stepson has been charged with possession of a silencer, it is actually a wix sludge filter for engines. I am aware that you can be charged for passion of a silencer based on the fact it could be used as one. Now comes fighting it in court, I had heard there are 4 elements that have to be proven in order for the charge to end in a guilty verdict. I have searched mgl multiple ways but can’t find the verbiage.

So my stepson has been charged with possession of a silencer, it is actually a wix sludge filter for engines. I am aware that you can be charged for passion of a silencer based on the fact it could be used as one. Now comes fighting it in court, I had heard there are 4 elements that have to be proven in order for the charge to end in a guilty verdict. I have searched mgl multiple ways but can’t find the verbiage.
I would ass/u/me there are very similar to the 4 elements in post #27.

The answer would not be found in MGL, but in the jury instructions. There are published "model jury instructions" at Model Jury Instructions though I don't know if there is on specifically for silencers.

Back
Top Bottom