• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silhouette or True Blue for 9mm 115gr coated

Anyone loaded 9mm 115gr with silhouette or true blue? I am looking to load a 115gr RN coated bullet (Ibejiheads) with one or both of these. These would be for action pistol shooting (IDPA/USPSA), minor PF (125). I know silhouette used to be Winchester Action Pistol, but I did a search on “WAP", and got unsatisfactory results........Is that why the powder was sold to ramshot and renamed?

Anyway, was just wondering of anyone has used either these for 9mm and had any experiences, good or bad.

I dont do 115 but I've used a bunch of Silh. w/ 124 & 147. It gives a lot of velocity for grain weight.
From a reload perspective, Silh is EXTREMELY fine, like dusty sand. Makes a bit of mess on the press.

I've got a bunch of TrueBlue and will be trying that in the future. Both good and similar fill. TB is more dense
and meters slightly better. Make sure to download the Western PDF w/ all the recipes.

True Blue, nothing else.
Anyone loaded 9mm 115gr with silhouette or true blue? I am looking to load a 115gr RN coated bullet (Ibejiheads) with one or both of these. These would be for action pistol shooting (IDPA/USPSA), minor PF (125). I know silhouette used to be Winchester Action Pistol, but I did a search on “WAP", and got unsatisfactory results........Is that why the powder was sold to ramshot and renamed?

Anyway, was just wondering of anyone has used either these for 9mm and had any experiences, good or bad.

Back to True blue and silhouette, I notice that both containers have the same green labeling now. Silhouette used to be red, and true blue was blue, but now they look exactly the same. Did ramshot run out of ink?

Well the test loads were a complete failure. 5.2 of silhouette and 5.3 of true blue over a 115 coated RN gave me ~1050fps in a 4.7 and 5.25” barrel. Same results with 115 FMJ. Basically 50-75fps off of the manual. Autocomp didn’t fare much better, I could not make the 4” reloading data from hodgdons website using a 5.25” barrel.

Any ideas? Crimp too weak? Too tight? Does 0.03” (1.07 vs 1.1) make that mach difference? Should I start and max and work down instead of start min and work up? Sell everything and just use factory ammo?

Silhouette, true blue, autocomp... What are you trying to achieve? Are these the only powder you have available?

Those are slow(er) burning powders.
- terrible for minor PF.

For minor PF you want fast powders.

Look for the lowest charge weight requirement to make the velocity you need.

Well the test loads were a complete failure. 5.2 of silhouette and 5.3 of true blue over a 115 coated RN gave me ~1050fps in a 4.7 and 5.25” barrel. Same results with 115 FMJ. Basically 50-75fps off of the manual. Autocomp didn’t fare much better, I could not make the 4” reloading data from hodgdons website using a 5.25” barrel.

Any ideas? Crimp too weak? Too tight? Does 0.03” (1.07 vs 1.1) make that mach difference? Should I start and max and work down instead of start min and work up? Sell everything and just use factory ammo?

I believe I use 6 gr of true blue for 115.

crimp em a little more, seat em a little deeper, maybe both, I think you'll end up at or closer to 6 grains.

Silhouette, true blue, autocomp... What are you trying to achieve? Are these the only powder you have available?

Those are slow(er) burning powders.
- terrible for minor PF.

For minor PF you want fast powders.

Look for the lowest charge weight requirement to make the velocity you need.
Yes, only available. I also have 244, but same issue. I used to use bullseye, but it has been gone for two years, and even in good times was hard to get. Plus its smoky indoors. Was looking for a low flash powder for minor for SSP/production or CO, but that also could be made to work for CCP (4.0” bbl).

Yes, only available. I also have 244, but same issue. I used to use bullseye, but it has been gone for two years, and even in good times was hard to get. Plus its smoky indoors. Was looking for a low flash powder for minor for SSP/production or CO, but that also could be made to work for CCP (4.0” bbl).
A reloading vendor had bullseye in stock on Wednesday. They have titegroup in stock now but that burns hot and I’m sure will be smoky with coated bullets

I've run autocomp and silhouette
Both with 124g Hitek and you need to run them hot - like +P hot with silhouette
Autocomp seemed to deal with normal loads a little better but was just as dirty if you didn't get the speed up

when I ran 124 FMJ, I averaged 1082 FPS w/ 5.7gn of Silhouette which made 'just enough'
power (by design) (average 131) and it was fine for IDPA practice

Back
Top Bottom