• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Simplest solar panel setup for 1hp well pump

What would my options be for purchasing solar setup for 1 purpose a well pump that's a little less than 1hp

Approx cost?

How many panels and what size panels would I need.

The well pump is most likely 3/4hp but there is a chance it is 1hp. I think it is 240v 30amp circuit

What would my options be for purchasing solar setup for 1 purpose a well pump that's a little less than 1hp

Approx cost?

How many panels and what size panels would I need.

The well pump is most likely 3/4hp but there is a chance it is 1hp. I think it is 240v 30amp circuit
I've been thinking the same thing for last few weeks
how much water flow do you need? ie gallons that will be driving energy storage requirement directly for battery.
local? and how much sun?

i will use one hour run in calcs so you can scale.

i was assuming 2hp for margin in my case it will be deep like 500 plus ft well
simple pressure switch takes no power.
it will need to be 240V ac
need inverter for 240V ac, and its efficiency and loss
battery bank voltage, lets assume 48Vdc
lets say for conversion purposes/power flow 2000w invertor for the 2 HP.
this is 42 amps. and of course energy storage would be needed is 2000kw/h for each hour of run without sun.
need a battery that can supply 42amps constant, close to 50ah, this would be (4) 12v50ah batteries in series.
lets assume standard deep cycle battery is 100amp hour, so 4 of these batteries would run you for 1hr and drain from 100% to 50%
that would get you many thousands of cycles to 50%. never go to zero

PV size. winter or summer??

lets assume winter clear day with 2 hours of real sun equivalent. so you would need to charge 2000w in 2 hrs so 1000w of PV panel for a worse case dead battery recharge. or 500w panel system just for the 1hr pump run winter to recharge for 50%
for winter use panels will need to be mounted almost vertical for max sun.

summer

pvwatts.nrel.gov to estimate solar available at your location.

Put an hour meter on the pump to get an average daily run time.

Use average daily runtime for load and figure a three day outage in the winter to size storage.

And update the pump to a solar compatible DC pump.

pvwatts.nrel.gov
That is the way for the PV.
Note you can play with angle.
note that those calcs typically used/optimized for total yearly power production for grid tied systems.
i'll run a 1kw system and play with angles and location to maximize worse case for time of year, typically winter to set the angle of the panels for a fixed station.
i'll scale power as needed.
plot the daily production for every day and plot the results it is interesting to see the pattern. peak then moves to spring and fall.

I use a Grundfos SQFlex pump for my off-grid well. It will run on AC,DC, any voltage you want. I ran it for a year on a 3kw Victron 120v inverter and small Honda 2000 generator, before I got around to installing the full 240v inverter. 4+ years now, zero problems.

I also have 2 x 120 gallon pressure storage tanks. They make up for my low-gpm well and pump, but also allow running the pump only while the sun is shining, and still have pressurized water for days. Aquascience in RI has great prices, local shipping.

I should add...my well is 600 feet deep, pump is at 400, static level is 20 feet. A deep pump depth doesn't make it work any harder, unless you actually pump the water down that far. That's why I went with a low flow 6gpm pump, and large pressure tanks.

I highly recommend the Victron stuff: inverters, MPPT charge controllers. It's indestructible, simple, and will still be well supported 20 years from now.

I had my first Victron failure a month ago: ants built a nest in a remote charge controller located outside, shorted out the internal circuit board. I contacted Victron, within an hour the nearest dealer sent his address for repairs, and within a week I had a brand new one, under the lifetime warranty. My main house inverter is Solark, but I use Victron for all the auxiliary and small projects.

Back
Top Bottom