Single Shot at Appleseed

I've seen them accommodate 5 rnd rifles... Don't know about a single shot. I'm *sure* they can do it just don't know how.

You could certainly learn something with a single shot rifle, but I think you'd learn more with a semi-auto. You certainly wouldn't be able to complete a rapid-fire AQT. Most New England Appleseeds have plenty of 10/22s that you could borrow.

The AQT that Nickle and crew run is 3 position 40 well aimed shots in 4 minutes.

Would be tough I'd think.

However, learning basic Markmanship does not require you to shoot fast. If you don't have the basics, a single shot for day one would not be too big a deal. However, to make your life easier, I'd recommend borrowing one of the 10/22 rifles from an instructor and bringing a brick of .22 ammo.

I ran an appleseed in Florida where one of the guys had a single shot. I offered him a loaner, but it was a family heirloom and he wanted to learn on it. No problem. He got off as many rounds as he could during the time limit and learned quite a bit. Groups got smaller and better. (Three shots makes a group, right?)

The biggest problem was that his sights were way off and there was no easy way to adjust. THAT's probably more important than rate of fire. It's very hard to shoot consistently while aiming way off just to get the shots on paper (otherwise we would've been happy with a consistent offset while aiming at the target) So take the time to set up the rifle for 25M before you get there, especially if it's a pain to adjust the sights.

Of course, we might still have loaner .22's left, but I do understand wanting to learn on your own rifle.

So could arrange to borrow a 10/22 in advance? I'm not really sure I want to buy one.I'd just hate to show up and not have a gun to shoot with.

You don't need to use a .22 - we only recommend them because they are a LOT cheaper to shoot than anything else right now. I'd recommend that you bring whatever rifles you have that you have ammo for.

Basic criteria are: Must be reliable - if you're fussing with the rifle trying to get it to work, you are not learning.

Should have a sling - we teach you how to use a sling to shoot better

Should have adjustable sights - we teach about inches, minutes and clicks and how to zero your rifle.

You should have multiple magazines - enough to load 40 rounds is a good starting point. If you're wasting time reloading mags, that's less time for shooting and practicing. And we do do timed shoots.

(Note: you don't NEED to go out and get any of these - you can make do without them... but you'll learn more with them).

You should plan on bringing 500-700 rounds of the same ammo. We shoot a lot.

As for what caliber? .22, .30 of some sort are good. Something that you will feel comfortable shooting all day.

Action? Bolt, Semi, single-shot? As crak has said, whatever you like. Semiauto is the most preferred, but two of the shooters who made Rifleman this past weekend were using bolt action .22s.

As for loaners... depends on the shoot and who's instructing. Some instructors have many loaners, some don't. Like Martlet said, what shoot are you going to?

According to the Bennington AAR, a 12 year old boy made Rifleman with a bolt rifle. Nice!

Yeah, that was Anders. Kid was a pleasure to watch - his left hand was like a machine working that bolt. Yeah, I said LEFT - he's a southpaw. He and his father are now both IITs!

According to the Bennington AAR, a 12 year old boy made Rifleman with a bolt rifle. Nice!

Indeed, actually there were two shooters using bolt actions on Saturday and a third showed up for Sunday.

I shot rifleman with a bolt action .22 at the Athol shoot.

It can be done. [smile]

Bando, I just figured out it's you I've been e-mailing back and forth with.

Well, what do you need to have to be ready?

Willing to learn? Yup, I see that already.

Ear muffs or plugs?

Eye protection?

A mat to lay on (an old chunk of carpet works well enough)?

There's a few more things you'll want to have.

Oh, rifle and ammo? No problem.

Now, next full Appleseed in the area is Proctor, VT, 27/28 Sep. You can camp free there, and as I said, a rifle and ammo can be made available. Your choice of a scoped 10/22 (I've got 2 of them), 10/22 with Tech Sights (iron sights, I've got 4 of them), a Remington 513-T bolt gun (Got 1, and it was one of the bolt guns used at Bennington) and a Winchester 190 (got 1). The rest of the VT crew have rifles that can be borrowed as well. I've ALWAYS got spare ammo with me, most it'll cost you is the $$$ to replace it (Wal-Mart prices, about $13 per 550 rds).

If you do a Mass or NH event, the Mass crew have a few loaners amongst them as well.

So, lack of equipment is NOT a valid reason for not coming, nor is a lack of experience.

We will teach you from scratch. The Instructors you'll get are ALL top notch and know what they're doing.

What part of Mass are you in Bando? I live west of Concord, NH, and am going to the Proctor shoot. I have three 10-22's set up as Training Rifles, plenty of spare mags, and am willing to loan one to ya, if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom