single-stack accuracy... what am i doing wrong?

jbos6

NES Member
Thus far, my pistols have been a Ruger SR9c (double stack), Sig Pro 2022 (double stack), SR22 and Rock Island 1911 (single atacks). Im what I would call combat effective at 10 yds... i can put all rounds in the silhouette (most within at least the seven ring). I just picked up a S&W 3913 today and put 100 rds thru it. Missed the paper more than i have in a LONG time. By the end of the second box, i was consistently on paper bu really all over the place. I do have big hands and this is the slimmest carry piece I own (the SR22 is slimmer but i shoot that better). Would love some input!!

You're not seeing your sights aligned on the target when the shot breaks.

Hmmm, will have to check that out. So, the scenario was this ... silhouette target at 10y, I'm in single action, take up the slack, confirm sights are aligned and on-target, and the trigger breaks. In my head, I'm doing everything perfectly and I hit on the edge of the silhouette. I put three rounds down from a bench rest just to be sure there wasn't something off, and I had two 9-ring hits and one 10-ring hit ... so clearly, it's not the gun.

think how your grip, trigger finger placement, and plam pressure have all changed due to the slimmer single stack. Re-evaluate and concentrate on sight picture, pulling the trigger straight back while keeping even pressure on the gun.

Hmmm, will have to check that out. So, the scenario was this ... silhouette target at 10y, I'm in single action, take up the slack, confirm sights are aligned and on-target, and the trigger breaks. In my head, I'm doing everything perfectly and I hit on the edge of the silhouette. I put three rounds down from a bench rest just to be sure there wasn't something off, and I had two 9-ring hits and one 10-ring hit ... so clearly, it's not the gun.

Sounds like the sights are off then

Vellnueve - totally disagree. This sits in my completely differently from anything else I shoot, has a much smaller footprint in my palm. I can't help but think that changes the stability and mechanics of my grip.

Sir_Macadoo & Smash05 - Thank you, very good points. I did not try shooting one-handed, but will definitely try next time.

Vellnueve is right. Trigger control, sight alignment, and sight picture are all that matter here. A proper grip is a proper grip, whether on a single or double stack gun.

Sounds like the sights are off then

If the sights were off he'd have similar results from the bench....

Vellnueve - totally disagree. This sits in my completely differently from anything else I shoot, has a much smaller footprint in my palm. I can't help but think that changes the stability and mechanics of my grip.

I think Vellnueve's point is that even if the gun points/feels different for you, assuming there's nothing wrong with the gun YOU are now doing something different. Are you all over the map or trending in a particular direction? Are you having problems establishing a consistent grip since the gun is so small in your hands?

Surprised no one else has posted this yet...

correction_chart_logo_small_gif.jpg

flinchy flinch

Jbos - just some thoughts of mine here - if you are in a weaver stance (or similar) - push out with your right hand (if you are shooting right handed) and pull in with your left hand (with some reasonable force) - it will lock down your wrist down more and may help what you are seeing.

Good luck and happy shooting

Jbos - just some thoughts of mine here - if you are in a weaver stance (or similar) - push out with your right hand (if you are shooting right handed) and pull in with your left hand (with some reasonable force) - it will lock down your wrist down more and may help what you are seeing.

Good luck and happy shooting

I don't think tweaking a goofy, obsolete shooting stance will help him much. You can't shoot well with tension.

Have you considered thicker grips to fit the gun to *you* better?

Couple wraps of hockey tape oughta do it...

I have rubber Hogue grips that the seller provided ... going to give those a shot. Any recommendations for other grips for the 3913? If the plain rubber grips don't work, I might get Hogue slip-on with finger grooves.

Back
Top Bottom