• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

sinking the bismark

greencobra

NES Member
found this youtube video of the pilots, gunners and observers from the swordfish squadron that took part in the attack damaging the bismarck that led to its eventual sinking, giving an oral account of their attack. pretty interesting if you like this stuff. and dry sometimes in true british fashion. it's a little long, ~33 minutes.

View: https://youtu.be/gHwKZX5SllI

The crew of the Fairy Swordfish were squeezed in. the guy in the middle was to work the wireless and navigate. All while exposed to the 140 mph North Atlantic wind. It was an open cockpit plane.
SetRatioSize300300-Fairey-Swordfish-Mk-I-Floatplane-1-48-542.jpg

One .303 Vickers gun in the front Starboard side and a Lewis gun in back. bundle up for the North Atlantic! (Note - I think it was a Vickers K-gun in the back. Froma any distance, they resemble a Lewis gun.)

1129_photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Vickizz??? He always felt that Wood drastically underestimated the social distinctions predicated on wealth. LOL.

The crew of the Fairy Swordfish were squeezed in. the guy in the middle was to work the wireless and navigate. All while exposed to the 140 mph North Atlantic wind. It was an open cockpit plane.

Fairey Swordfish. With an i.

9780857333629-us.jpg

Last edited:
And I thought I was the only one who listened to Johnny Horton as a kid! These are the two 45s my Dad played to death when I was little. Somewhere around here I have a few of the Snoopy vs. The Red Baron songs that were also in constant rotation.

IMG_1460.jpg

Donitz wanted 300 uboats Instead but Hitler went with that stupid thing, thankfully, or the world may look quite different today.

Last edited:
One .303 Vickers gun in the front Starboard side and a Lewis gun in back. bundle up for the North Atlantic!
I was stationed on a small frigate. One day while we were tied up to the pier a young lad requested permission to come aboard to deliver a message to our captain. While waiting for someone to come up to receive the message the kid panicked because our ship rocked a little with the incoming tide. He screamed "Are we sinking??"

After assuring him that we were quite safe I asked what ship he was stationed on. He was from an aircraft carrier. He went on to say that he just got orders to a small wooden mine sweeper due for a cruise in the North Atlantic. I wondered who he pissed off to draw that short straw.

Ich Bein Ein Creamfilled Jellydonut?
Ja, Zie Bismarck!

By the end of the century, jelly doughnuts were also called Bismarcken, after Chancellor Otto von Bismarck. Due to the large number of central European immigrants, jelly doughnuts are known as bismarcks in parts of the American Upper Midwest, in Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada, and even in Boston, Massachusetts.Dec 14, 2020

Donitz wanted 300 uboats Instead but Hitler went with that stupid thing instead, thankfully, or the world may look quite different today.
Yup, battleships were doomed by the development of air power and aircraft carriers. I think Billy Mitchell demonstrated that in the 20's. In the US Navy it was a battle of the Black shoes(Battleship Admirals) and the Brown shoes(aviation). The Japs missed sinking our carriers during the attack on Pearl Harbor because they were at sea which pretty much saved the Navy.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans, and we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans
We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin'
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin'
On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

First time I heard that song was. . . . 1976/77. There was a guy on Boston Common that did old folksy songs. He had a guitar and a banjo or guitar. He had these little wood figures he'd bounce on a board for percussion. He LOOKED like he was from 1850 or so. Scraggly beard, old clothes, etc.,

I loved sitting and watching him when my grandmother brought me into Boston.

I helped sink the Bismarck - twice! As kids we built the Aurora model and my Dad let us sink it with bb gun fire. It was cool as the misses made spashes! the good news is this exact kit from the old molds is in pre-order from Atlantis models. That'll bring back memories!
Aurora Canada Bismark Battleship.jpg

Back
Top Bottom