• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Six Reasons why gun laws won't stop shootings..

1. Mass killings are rare, and mass public shootings are even rarer.

2. Many gun control measures are not likely to be helpful.

3. Public mass shooters typically have histories of mental health issues.

4. The United States does not have an extraordinary problem with mass public shootings compared to other developed countries.

5. Mass killers often find ways to kill even without firearms.

6. Australia did not “eliminate mass public shootings” by banning assault weapons.

To that I would add:

7. As long as the press keeps pushing coverage of mass shooting, they create a glorification of these events that others who mean to do harm want to replicate, so they can obtain some warped sense of achievement or fame

it doesn't matter. they do not want gun control. They want a complete and total gun ban.
Agreed, my concern with this write-up, even though well done, is that #2 gives the antis more data to attempt to ban all guns. I never get into discussions about this gun did this, and this gun did that. It just leads to the inevitable comeback, "okay then, according to your data let's ban all guns". They will completely ignore the other points brought up in the other sections. I stick to the DANGER of banning guns and cite what's occurred in other countries and in the US because of such bans to support my statements.

Last edited:
I've taken to just redirecting.
"Where are guns on the top 10 list? Who needs a V8? How many people have been killed this year. On highways. In a single state. Focus on the top four and save tens of thousands of lives. End the low fat, high processed sugar bullshit which is murdering people. Murdering more people every year than have been killed by guns since 1900! And is making millions miserable. "

• Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.
  • An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
From the CDC.....think about it....1,669 people a day die.

Sounds like a better place to reduce deaths.

Doctors and hospitals are bad as well:

The answers are part of the curriculum for the first Ph.D. in health care quality and patient safety program in the country — at Northwestern Medicine — which aims to prevent the annual 440,000 deaths from medical errors in the United States.

• Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.
  • An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
From the CDC.....think about it....1,669 people a day die.

Sounds like a better place to reduce deaths.

Doctors and hospitals are bad as well:

The answers are part of the curriculum for the first Ph.D. in health care quality and patient safety program in the country — at Northwestern Medicine — which aims to prevent the annual 440,000 deaths from medical errors in the United States.

They can't. The reason they can't is because there is a good chance that most of the smokers are from their party and they don't want to lose the voters that are still alive and keeping their oppressive arses in office.

Agreed, my concern with this write-up, even though well done, is that #2 gives the antis more data to attempt to ban all guns. I never get into discussions about this gun did this, and this gun did that. It just leads to the inevitable comeback, "okay then, according to your data let's ban all guns". They will completely ignore the other points brought up in the other sections. I stick to the DANGER of banning guns and cite what's occurred in other countries and in the US because of such bans to support my statements.
They already make up all the data they want so presenting them with facts makes no difference because their goal is to ban all guns and it always has been because the goal is control. An example of this is gun free zones, we have proof positive that they are totally ineffective at stopping mass shooters and yet they insist on keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom