Skeet/Trap Beginner

Any recommendations for where I could learn to shoot skeet/trap?

I'm also currently looking into clubs and I'm not sure if it's best to go through the club and/or a place that offers formal training.

I'm in Boston and willing to travel.

Any guidance would be very helpful....I'm at the prelim stage of looking into this.

Taunton Rifle and Pistol has open trap on Sundays at 10 and they are helpful to new comers. Might be a bit of a drive for you though.

Sharon F&G many years ago (last time I was there was in the 1990s) was very good at helping new skeet/trap shooters learn the sports. Sunday at 10AM.

i suspect at most places you will need to bring your own gun and ammo.

MisterHappy I"m sure will be more than willing to help you out if you wanted to travel to Southboro.

Most Clubs that have clays, have people that want to help new shooters.

Let us know where you are, and you'll get better responses.

In general, unless $ is no object, don't just jump in and buy a gun. If you have a shottie of pretty much any description, you're good to go at the start. Shoot some, let people that know what's up give you advice.

As for formal training, what did you mean? At www.srgclub.com we've held several "Learn to Shoot Trap" events, and most people caught on quickly, and started breaking them. It takes a bit to get the basics down, but then, it's practice.

Trap and Skeet are different games, with slightly different "ideal" equipment (though a new shooter with a field gun will not be unduly handicapped in either), and a different mindset and rhythm. Try them both.

When I've looked at some of the clubs that offer Trap & Skeet shooting, it seems that it's limited to only Sunday. Any ideas why you can't shoot Trap/Skeet during the week if you have another member there to shoot with? (i.e. push the button)

When I've looked at some of the clubs that offer Trap & Skeet shooting, it seems that it's limited to only Sunday. Any ideas why you can't shoot Trap/Skeet during the week if you have another member there to shoot with? (i.e. push the button)

Most of the "normal" Clubs (places like Minuteman excepted) have a Committee to run the field. Mostly, they're volunteers, and weekdays are not viable for people with jobs, and, since the majority of people that might use it often have weekday commitments there is usually insufficient business to make opening worthwhile. Now, at mu Club, if you're a member of the Trap Committee, you have access (and the know-how) to the fields at off times.

This is why weekends are the most common days for Trap - availability of staff, and enough customers to have a good day.

It's more about just pushing the button - trust me, some of the trap machines have a personality, and you need to know them! [laugh]

With the warming weather, many clubs will be opening on weeknights.

If you're in the MetroWest area, PM me.

I've never been, but I'd like to check out Addieville Farms. Anybody have input?

Haven't been yet but planning to head there with a coworker very soon. He goes there often and said it's really well setup. I'll report back if the damn weather improves and we get out.

I've never been, but I'd like to check out Addieville Farms. Anybody have input?

wonderful place, count on $50-$60 for 100 targets across 14-15 stations. They have ammo available for sale or bring your own. The have a choice at each station for a medium difficult pairs, or really freaking hard, where did it go, pairs.

Fun half day, wait 'till the snow melts.

Addieville is awesome, only shot it once but I can't wait to go back. if you go don't forget to stop in the shop and shoulder up an $80k gun or two[wink]

As for non-sunday shooting, Hopkinton Sportsmans has trap and skeet on Tues nights and Thursday mornings in addition to Sunday mornings.

Hope this helps.

Maynard Rod and Gun Club:

[h=1]Trap and Skeet Range Rules[/h]Like the rifle and pistol ranges, members are encouraged to obtain range officer status for the trap and skeet ranges. By becoming a Range Officer, you will be free to come by the club and uses the ranges at any time during normal operating hours. Range Officers will learn how to open up the ranges and how to safely operate the different trap and skeet machines.
The trap and skeet ranges are open daily from 9:30 till dusk. One of the skeet fields has lights and can be used until 9pm. Members are required to pay a $3/per round fee and, non member guests a $5/per round fee to cover the cost of targets. A round is 25 targets
Members can obtain range officer status by attending the annual RO meeting, or coming down to the ranges and seeing a committee member on Sunday mornings at 10:00 am. For more information, email Gifford Perry or John MacKesy, our current Trap and Skeet Committee Chairmen at [email protected]

Hanson rod and gun club has trap Wednesday nights 6-9pm and Sundays 1-4
New comers welcome. Guns and ammo are all available.
There's usually a few very good shooters that will point you in the right direction no real "classes" that I am aware of.
Old colony in Pembroke also has trap, skeet, 5 stand wed afternoons and weekends. There are a few instructors there I believe.
Also try minuteman sportsman club. Largest trap range in the area.

Its a matter of someone to run it and turn out. Hanson rod and gun dropped Thursday night's because of weak turn out.

Back
Top Bottom