Skeletonized AR upper

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hello all. I have a weapon smart AR upper receiver. It is pretty heavily skeletonized and enjoy the look and all. The issue i am having is I am getting a decent amount of gas in my face while using it. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or may have dealt with this. I obviously realize that being skeletonized this is going to happen but if anyone has a found a way to help ease this. It can get to the point that I feel a burning in my eyes. Thank you!

We always wear glasses and still notice it.what charging handle do you guys recommend? Same with adjustable gas block? Want good quality parts. I have thought about converting it. How hard is that to do? Do they work well? No righty.

Attachments

• 20210525_201626.jpg
    20210525_201626.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 74
We always wear glasses and still notice it.what charging handle do you guys recommend? Same with adjustable gas block? Want good quality parts. I have thought about converting it. How hard is that to do? Do they work well? No righty.
I am running a Wilson on my ar that I use for 3gun. I had to modify the screw that serves as the valve for it to work properly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any JP product. I consider them to be the gold standard for ar products. A well adjusted gas block and a good muzzle brake will almost eliminate any recoil.

I am LH , never had any gas issues.
Im a nose to the charge handle guy.
Are you running a surpressor?
just a bit of info. Some of these "gas busters" charging handles just redirect the gas more to to right and down.
Honestly for me I would sell off the skeleton and just get a "normal" upper for shooting.
Maybe keep the skeleton for " looks cool" status?
Im left handed and dont have any gas problems so I dont have any actual solutions for you.
Maybe theres a little righty in you?

you say your eyes are burning? Maybe you are having a chemical reaction to the gases. If so maybe better glasses that keep less gasses from actually getting to your eyes?

they have one in ambidex?

View: https://youtu.be/emC8_y-CXtA

Last edited:
Ok im.gomna be that guy......why?

Doesn't that totally upen the receiver to debris that could jam the rifle?

My thoughts exactly. At least they didn't get cheeky and put a dust cover on it. Not to be a dick or anything, but it shouldn't be a surprise that an upper full of holes is prone to gas in your face. But that piston conversion @bfm posted looks very interesting. Never seen that before.

weaponsmart-3283.jpg

My thoughts exactly. At least they didn't get cheeky and put a dust cover on it. Not to be a dick or anything, but it shouldn't be a surprise that an upper full of holes is prone to gas in your face. But that piston conversion @bfm posted looks very interesting. Never seen that before.

weaponsmart-3283.jpg
i am only curious - the skeletonization - how much weight does it shave off? i just cannot see any benefit of getting that done - dirt and sand can get in there, what is the point on that?

The only reason I have it is I got a screaming good deal on it. 300 for a complete upper this guy built. Ballistic advantage barrel. YHM slant comp. Yhm Low profile gas block. That weapons smart skeletonized upper. And a paper city handguard. So all pretty good parts, put together for only 300 bucks. No no suppressor. It is billet so not too much. Honestly though surprisingly enough I have not had any issues with debris or anything else. I'm going to try that DIY technique

The only reason I have it is I got a screaming good deal on it. 300 for a complete upper this guy built. Ballistic advantage barrel. YHM slant comp. Yhm Low profile gas block. That weapons smart skeletonized upper. And a paper city handguard. So all pretty good parts, put together for only 300 bucks. No no suppressor. It is billet so not too much. Honestly though surprisingly enough I have not had any issues with debris or anything else. I'm going to try that DIY technique
You say so far no debris.....have you used it? I mean actually USED it. Maybe I'm being a prick.....but I'd say at best that's a target rifle.....or 3 gun rifle where people just pretend to be in combat. That thing would not last in real combat without a jam. I dropped my m4 in the moon dust ground of Iraq once.....once.....and it filled it with grit. Thankfully I wasn't in need of it when that happened. Had to clean the shit out of it before the next trip outside the wire it was just gritty nasty. It would chamber a round but wouldn't trust it. That thing you have would have been a total anchor after one drop in the dirt.

No way that would be my primary "just in case" rifle. Just my 2 cents.

But that piston conversion @bfm posted looks very interesting. Never seen that before.

There are probably better conversion kits out there, but that one was in stock. Forget what model he used, but a friend did a piston conversion when he was replacing his barrel and bolt. He has been very happy with it. Original barrel was shot out enough to have lost accuracy so was time for that anyway.

If I were troubleshooting this, I'd be tempted to tape up the skeleton holes to try to confirm where the gas is coming from. I'm also a lefty, and aside from shooting a suppressed AR haven't ever had gas issues. If I confirmed it's the skeleton holes, I'd be swapping in a more conventional upper receiver.

There are probably better conversion kits out there, but that one was in stock. Forget what model he used, but a friend did a piston conversion when he was replacing his barrel and bolt. He has been very happy with it. Original barrel was shot out enough to have lost accuracy so was time for that anyway.

Good info. I'm looking to make a piston build, but thought I had to buy a piston specific upper. This opens up a lot more possibilities.

@whacko it is not my primary. As i said. Bought it as a complete for only 300 with other pretty good parts. Threw something together for the girl to use. @KMM696. That is a good idea. Dont want to just tose it though if i dont have to. Would be a waste of money then.

@whacko it is not my primary. As i said. Bought it as a complete for only 300 with other pretty good parts. Threw something together for the girl to use. @KMM696. That is a good idea. Dont want to just tose it though if i dont have to. Would be a waste of money then.

I was thinking about what I'd do if I had to take it off, and I think it would be an interesting upper receiver for a 22LR upper.

@KMM696 That would be interesting for sure! I just cant bring myself to take off a functioning part without having a replacement especially right now with everything going on.

Hello all. I have a weapon smart AR upper receiver. It is pretty heavily skeletonized and enjoy the look and all. The issue i am having is I am getting a decent amount of gas in my face while using it. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or may have dealt with this. I obviously realize that being skeletonized this is going to happen but if anyone has a found a way to help ease this. It can get to the point that I feel a burning in my eyes. Thank you!
Get an AK.

Im sure some “gottabecool” type would buy that upper on gun broker?
Looks like depending on manufacture they run $150-$300
Strip it and toss it on gun broker?

Back
Top Bottom