Skills training this weekend!

This is short notice, but I'm planning a primitive/survival skills get together for this Saturday, August 25 in North Central Massachusetts. Come and share your knowledge or watch!

What: Primitve Skills practice

When: Saturday, August 25, 9AM-5PM or so

Where: Lake Dennis Recreation Area, Route 202, Winchendon MA. Go past the beach, over the small bridge and park near the fire pits. Look for the sign with the arrow head on it.

Directions: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/lden.htm

What to bring: A lunch. Dress for the weather.

Facilities: Lake Dennison has facilities such as fire pits, a beach, restrooms, a stocked trout pond. state fishing license is required.

Skills & Format: Very informal, bring your kits & skills. I'll bring some fire craft equipment and other primitive & survival gear. We can talk survival kits, maybe do a plant walk. I'd recommend against bringing bows & arrows. I'm open to topics.

RSVP and PM me if you're definite.

Hello Guys !

Im NEW here but Im glad that I found this space.
YES that is a great IDEA !
But too bad I won't be able to make to this one....

I would love to be part of it. Here in MA we don't have a strong group of people to talk about and
and play with that kind stuff. I hope you guys take
lots of pictures this weekend.

I whish you guys a GREAT TIME OUT !
M.TEX

So...how was it ? any pictures ?
Maybe we can start a thread here only for
survival / bushcraft / get together events....

What do you guys think ?

Great time!

The session was great!

We had five people show up: Brian, his son Eric, Gene, Kevin and myself. I thought the turnout was better than expected based on the responses I got from the thread and the short heads-up I provided.

Most everyone brought "stuff" - kits including various bits of survival and camping gear. Brian and I had decent collections of primitive stuff. Everyone was interested in sharing skills and ideas.

Gene had an awesome collection of woodsman cutlery. It was nice to see the Ray Mears-type "Woodlore" pattern (I forgot the maker) and a Swamp Rat chopper be put through its paces working a log. He also had a nice Wetterling hatchet and a bunch of stuff from Bark River, including a Nessmuk pattern.

Gene also had a ton of compasses and other camping gear to ogle and fondle.

We built some fires with friction kits. For us, cedar ruled the day. The humidity was a coal-killer. Eventually, we figured out how to use a coal extender. Brian used cattail fluff and I used some tinder fungus, so we got fire.

Also, I did manage to split out a kit from a sumac log Brian brought along and got a fire with that. Grass cut from my lawn was the tinder. Brian also showed me a good way to lubricate the socket I was using - pine pitch.

There was a demonstration of some trap mechanisms including the figure-4 and the promontory peg.

I got Kevin started on a friction fire and showed him the basic technique.

Kevin had his lunch cooked on a nice compact camping stove. Gene used an esbit-type.

I didn't take any pictures - forgot the camera. Maybe Kevin did?

Hopefully, I'll have time to schedule another one of these.

Ok it sounds like you guys had a fun day...[grin]

Yes it was a bit of short notice but I like to be parte

of the next one....

You know somethimes a small group could be nice
because this way people wil have more time to do
things and explain better.
I guess we should be consistent even with a small
group.

I will try to be part of the next one.
M.TEX

ok Crazy Idea here.... I don't know how far is that
place from my house... and I don't know if that is
the most convinient place for ALL OF US...

So here is the crazy Idea:

Who is up to a next get together and where it will be? At the same place ? or another location ?

My location is Northborough and if there is someone
out there close who wants to go out and have some
fun please let me know.

can we find out the best place for all of us ?
Ohhhhhh and Photo Forum somewhere her
would be cool ....

Not soon...

I'm up for another, but due to other obligations can't say when. I hope next time to do a "survival shelters" get-together. It's in the very early stages of planning.

If it gets off the ground, I'll post another invite and hopefully give longer time to let folks pencil it in.

Back
Top Bottom