Skool me on ar-10's

Ink

I don't know if this is the best section for this thread but here goes.
As gun show season arrives, i am gonna build an ar-10 ... the dpms style with the lower i bought in the NES group buy.
I know nothing about assault rifles. SO any help in identifying parts, pitfalls, tips, do's and dont's, recommended reading, etc.....

One of my concerns is what parts are interchangeable between ar-15's and ar-10's and what parts are not. I am building one instead of just buying one because i hate not knowing how things work and it looks like a fun project.

[smile]

Don't believe any parts are interchangeable except maybe the charging handle, pistol grip.

Don't know anything about dpms ar10's though

Things that may interchange are: all trigger parts, buttstock, pistol grip, rear sights, and that's about all I can think of.

Welcome to the Club! I hope you like yours as much as I LOVE mine.
Answers to your question: GET THE CORRECT PARTS FOR THE JOB dpms lpk308 or better if you can afford them.
(BTW We went over this in the last 308 GB. thread, It is a pretty interesting read if you have time http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...Lower-Group-Buy.-Short-Notice-UPDATE-08-13-09
Specifically the answer to your question http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...PDATE-08-13-09?p=972596&viewfull=1#post972596)

Ar15 Lower parts interchangeability is as follows: (BTW I Used a dedicated 308lpk, just to be safe [wink])

parts that will work:
  • Fire control parts (trigger hammer springs)
  • Boltcatch-has smaller surface area but will work in a pinch.
NOTE MOUNTING THE CATCH IS DIFFERENT, USESA RECESSED ALLEN HEAD SCREW, not a driven pin.
  • Stock
  • Buffer tube

Parts that will not work (reliably):
  • Takedown pins
  • Buffer and spring - the 7.62X51 is weighted differently
  • Charging handle clearance can be an issue with some after market ar-15 stocks (magpul etc)
Note the fidelis lowers I had encountered on the last buy had issues with bolt catch...but that is a story for another thread, you can read how we fixed that.

If you need any help or need help sourcing parts drop me a note..
Keri

Last edited:
My Fidelis had some issues which I first thought were LPK related... but it ended up that the C-Products mags were crap. Once I switched to the reduced capacity PMags, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom