SKS Question

Duane Allman

Banned
I'm confused about the legality of the SKS for those of us with just an FID card.

Are they legal? Must I purchase a certain "type"?

[hmmm]

..oh yeah...and bayonets?

Last edited:
Welcome Duane.

You can buy an SKS with a folding bayonet with an FID card.

You can find the Mass gun laws here in Chapter 140, Sections 121 to 131.

Happy reading!

Last edited:
Excellent!

[banana]

I heard Four Seasons has a selection. I've never been there but will take the trip once I get my tax refund!

Do you think Four Seasons would have a stripper clip for an SKS?

How hard would it be to get Yugo M67 ammunition in Massachusetts?

Last edited:
duane...sks's were the only high powered semi auto rifle i could buy with my fid card

i was so excited i went out and bought 8 of them!

they are great fun to shoot...and used to be cheap to feed

you can get stripper clips from cheaperthandirt.com if you need em

FID = Any SKS, as long as it has a mag of 10 rds or less.

NOTE: Some adapted the SKS to take LARGE, detachable mags. Even though "not on the hi-cap list" (read the fine print on the list), if you have this combo, you can't possess it with an FID card (need a LTC).

He can buy any SKS he wants, detachable mag or not.

Uh, NO.

A detachable rifle or pistol magazine that has a capacity in excess of 10 rounds is a "large capacity feeding device" and requires an LTC. As the SKS kits converted the integral mag to a detachable AK mag (30 or 40 rounds), an FID would NOT be sufficient.

Hence the problem for juveniles with the 20 and 30-round "banana clips" on their 10/22s.

You can get them much cheaper then $200 if you shop around. I picked these up for $140.00 a piece locally

Pictures1113.jpg

Pictures1112.jpg

Well, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh; most SKSs have an INTEGRAL mag. [rolleyes]

While that may be true...

There are a large number of detachable mag SKSs. Maybe not in Mass, but I'd say probably 20-30% of the SKSs I have seen (and I have seen a lot, my dad was a 01 FFL for about twenty years before leaving that business). I hate them and they look ugly, but there are plenty of them out there.

Excellent!

I heard Four Seasons has a selection. I've never been there but will take the trip once I get my tax refund!

Do you think Four Seasons would have a stripper clip for an SKS?

Four Seasons doesn't carry much in the way of accessories. I bought my Yugo SKS from them about 9 months ago and they didn't stock any stripper clips back then.

Collectors Gallery had some awhile back. I don't know if they currently have any in stock.

Stripper clips are easy enough to find online and there shouldn't be any
problems with a vendor shipping them to MA. I bought a couple of packages of 20 clips online for $7.00 per package as part of another order (and I've seen even better deals than that).

There are a lot of stripper clips around that will fit the SKS. Most .30-06 and 7.62x51 stripper clips will fit as well as the ones made for it. A quick google search should find you lots of cheap sources.

Silly and somewhat unrelated question....

I have the same SKS and it came with that sling. (Great firearm.... I can't wait to go fire it again.)

How did you get the sling on the SKS? I clipped the end with the metal clip to the slot near the front / side of the firearm. The metal piece at the other end near the buckle is simply too large to get into the swiveling sling holder on the butt of the rifle.

Thanks!

Indeed, I have bought a ton of stripper clips from various online venders and they have no issue with shipping these to mass, nor is there any legal issue with them doing so.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Reply to noelephant

Not a silly question at all.

You are correct... the green cotton sling that comes with the Yugo 59/66 SKS has a metal tab at one end that is too large to fit through the sling swivel on the butt. Don't ask me why, but mine had that problem and I've seen the issue posed on other SKS gun board forums. All I did was file the sides of the tab a little to fit through.

Great rifle. I saw one at Four Seasons for $199 still caked in cosmo. I purchased mine from Aim Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/) for $169 and it looks unissued. Best thing I've done is apply for a CC&R license.

Silly and somewhat unrelated question....

I have the same SKS and it came with that sling. (Great firearm.... I can't wait to go fire it again.)

How did you get the sling on the SKS? I clipped the end with the metal clip to the slot near the front / side of the firearm. The metal piece at the other end near the buckle is simply too large to get into the swiveling sling holder on the butt of the rifle.

Thanks!

I just cut the tab off on mine and threaded it through the best I could.
All it takes to convert an SKS to high-cap is to not completely assemble it. Just don't put the "fixed" mag back in. I really feal for you guys living in communist states. Maine isn't too bad yet but bad enough that we're moving to NC this summer. At least NC is a "Red" state.

Really? And just what, pray tell, holds the detachable mag in?

Or is that what all those conversions kit are for?[rolleyes]

I am not sure what "conversion kit" you are talking about, unless it's a conversion kit to use AK high-caps?
I assume you are holding an SKS in your hand right now and know what I'm talking about?
Do a basic disassembly of said Yugo SKS 59/66. Remove the "fixed" magazine and throw that bastard in the corner with all the other spare parts you own. Now assemble said rifle. At this point if you live in a free state or otherwise have enough compliance parts, you reach for your trusty SKS high-cap. Place that funny looking long part of the mag up into the recess where it will "hinge" on the thingie welded to the bottom of the barrel, rotate the mag into place and it is held there by the old "mag release" which allowed for dumping rounds out of your "fixed" mag. Pull the bolt back and proceed to pull the trigger.
If any of you don't know what I'm talking about, then you can purchase the same rifle, follow the directions I just told you, and you are all set.

*Edited to remove some items which on second viewing may be seen as offensive. I got up on the wrong side of something or other today*

Last edited:
I am not sure what "conversion kit" you are talking about, unless it's a conversion kit to use AK high-caps?

PRECISELY what I am talking about. IF an AK mag simply drops into an SKS and functions - reliably - why were those adapter kits selling like hotcakes (before the BATF ended that happy party) ?

That is an entirely different conversion. There is another conversion that uses modified hi cap SKS mags that basically drop in and fit perfectly.

From what I've heard high cap SKS mags seldom work with the exception of some Tapco products. I can't really understand the need for a high cap magazine in an SKS. You want 20 or 30 rounds of 7.62x39... get an AK clone or an SKS designed to take AK mags like the D or M models. You want fit and function, keep your SKS standard.

I really need one of these pics modified to suit the SKS fans like myself. [smile]

AK.jpg

My brother has an SKS with a detachable mag (AK one IIRC), I have an LTC-A, he is from NY state. Can I buy it from him? Do I just need an FA-10? I just want to check with you guys to be clear, I've interpreted things one way and read the correct answer here before.

Back
Top Bottom