• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS won’t chamber a .223 round, idiot reveal yourself!

slap shot

NES Member
Took out my SKS last weekend after it had been sitting a while and had a problem I’ve never had before. Rounds will not chamber. Here’s a pic of far they’ll go.
0F226926-A986-48B5-B654-936C52C6E30B.jpeg

looked like a line of some type of buildup in there, but it’s hard to get a picture. Tried some Hoppe’s with a brass brush and the a mop with some lapping compound and a drill after doing some research on clearing any fouling. Also I guess there’s the possibility of a stuck split case but even with a good light it’s hard to tell. Having made zero progress I figured I’d throw it out for suggestions here.

attempted to get a pic of the chamber.

18231A62-EB74-4BEC-BFEB-CDAD47F8EBC0.jpeg

Last edited:
I know it's going to sound like I'm making fun of you.
But are you sure that's not a .308 Winchester round?

Your rifle is a bit dirty.
But it's not filthy.
Try a shot of brake cleaner or a 7.62 chamber brush.

SKS rifles are extremely reliable and take a ton of abuse.

Last edited:
Nope, I don’t even own a 308 or any ammo. It’s 7.62 x 39 of which I’ve shot a ton. Wolf or Tulammo probably. I’m thinking laquer buildup. Maybe some kroil?

Hard to tell from those pictures, but it looks like you might have the neck of a split case stuck in the chamber. With the taper of a 7.62x39 case, I doubt a little buildup would lead to the round not chambering by that much.

But it's not filthy.

it’s mostly dirty because of the Hoppe’s and lapping compound I’m using. Has been 100% reliable until now

Hard to tell from those pictures, but it looks like you might have the neck of a split case stuck in the chamber. With the taper of a 7.62x39 case, I doubt a little buildup would lead to the round not chambering by that much.

im thinking this too as it’s a hard stop at that point. Just hard to be sure as it’s not brass. Seen a few techniques for removing it so maybe time to try one

Holy sheep shit!!!

I just grabbed the ammo box for a pic and I feel like the biggest idiot. It’s wolf .223 and I don’t even remember buying it.
Thanks for the replies.

D7A432C2-97D1-4767-B434-9322C2B5C783.jpeg
This is the problem of having 6 ARs and only ak type rifle. I guess it could have been worse.

Last edited:
Holy sheep shit!!!

I just grabbed the ammo box for a pic and I feel like the biggest idiot. It’s wolf .223 and I don’t even remember buying it.
Thanks for the replies.

View attachment 371369
This is the problem of having 6 ARs and only ak type rifle. I guess it could have been worse.
Problem solved.
We all make mistakes, yes, all!!!
I was thinking something along those lines, the chamber appeared fine from what I could see.

we need to move this thread over here... [laugh]

I can think of six solutions for that problem, and they all involve the classifieds.

Meanwhile, let us know when you get that case neck clawed out. [wink]

i already did that before moving north. These are all new builds last 2 years.

But it's not filthy.

This dumb idiot didn't even consider it was .223? Sheesh.

That's pretty funny.
Although I'm an idiot who brings .380, 9x18 and 9x19 pistols to the range all at once on occasion. So I shouldn't talk. ;)

The best is at the beginning (as a new shooter) when you do stupid shit like dump loose rounds on a paper plate and they get mixed up. [rofl] "Why didnt my gun cycle?" oh, f***"

Just assembled my first 300 Blackout. Takes the same mags (duh) as my "regular" AR's. Makes me REALLY glad I bought these for the mags, thinking I may get an engraved dust cover also...

The best is at the beginning (as a new shooter) when you do stupid shit like dump loose rounds on a paper plate and they get mixed up. [rofl] "Why didnt my gun cycle?" oh, f***"

I made all kinds of dumba$$ mistakes in the early years of gun owning.
Forgot the range key/ tag.
Brought the wrong ammo for the gun/s I brought.
Forgot trigger lock/ case keys.
Brought the correct gun and ammo combo, but the wrong magazines.
Brought a case of clays, two boxes of 12g, and the manual clay thrower and left the damn shotgun in the safe.
I'm sure there's plenty I've forgot.

Back
Top Bottom