• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKYWARN Training

Anyone go to the SKYWARN training in Fitchburg tonight?

Rally interesting stuff. I'm a yuuuuuge weather geek and got to learn stuff I never knew.

Got my card and now I'm dangerous! [grin]

I did it once, just to get my card. haven't used it in a long time.. didn't learn anything new as I already have 2 degrees in Meteorology.

Took a refresher last year. The instructors were transplants from the mid west. They were pretty funny since they hadn't fully adjusted to living in a forest where you can't see the sky.
"This slide depicts a wall cloud. If you were actually able to see enough of the sky around here to see one, you would know there's a thunderstorm that might spawn a tornado."[rofl]

As a minor league weather geek, I find the lack of visible sky annoying.

Last edited:

Rally interesting stuff. I'm a yuuuuuge weather geek and got to learn stuff I never knew.

69srkq.jpg

Last seen almost a year ago. Clot shot or just took his e-bike and rode off? 😂

Do you own a home weather station? If you do then which one do you have or recommend? I generally turn on the radio and listen to skywarn any time a nasty storm is moving through the area.

Do you own a home weather station? If you do then which one do you have or recommend? I generally turn on the radio and listen to skywarn any time a nasty storm is moving through the area.
If you mean an alert station, I use the Midland radio. It sang all night with the storms that just passed through. Midland Weather Alert Radio It is easy to program.

For weather stations, I have a Davis VantagePRO II. It's very accurate but has been around a long time-it doesn't have some of the newer gismo features. There is a lenghty thread about weather stations somewhere on NES.

Next month:

Spring 2022 Virtual Skywarn Weather Spotter Training​

Tuesday April 12, 2022 - 6:30-8:30 PM

Thursday April 21, 2022 - 6:30-8:30 PM

Saturday April 23, 2022 - 10:00AM-Noon

Thursday May 5, 2022 - 6:30-8:30 PM

Saturday May 7, 2022 - 10:00AM-Noon

Skywarn

I am set up for training on Saturday the 21st, I already took the test twice and passed but still no number, contacted Rob Macedo to see where the number is. about a month ago I got a Davis Vantage Pro weather station, LOVE IT

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_073727999_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220309_073727999_HDR.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 3
2023 schedule is not posted yet.
Massachusetts NWS SKYWARN® Program
Nothing listed in NH either.

I really enjoyed the in-person SKYWARN classes pre-COVID. We had a few GYX meteorologists, usually different each time, and got a lot of good information aside from the approved slides/videos. A lot of stuff specific to our area. Hopefully they’ll be back…

Back
Top Bottom