• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

slingshots are illegal too

Read the whole Chapter269: Section 12 it list Slung Shot, Sling Shot and Bean Blower by name.
Except
that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used. What club or association conducts sporting events where sling shots are used?

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

Read the RED part. AFAIK, from the language quoted, there is nothing barring possession.

Terra - AFAIK, the language "banning" slung shot is the same as other stuff - you can own it, but not carry it, or have it under your control in a vehicle. Do I have that wrong?

Read the RED part. AFAIK, from the language quoted, there is nothing barring possession.

Terra - AFAIK, the language "banning" slung shot is the same as other stuff - you can own it, but not carry it, or have it under your control in a vehicle. Do I have that wrong?

Hey, stop spoiling all the fun with facts. [laugh]

Correct. The possession statute is 269 § 10 and it's only outside the home.

I don't think they are illegal to posses in MA.
Only that they cannot be sold in MA....Sound familiar?

I bought some Wrist Rockets on-line for my sons and had to have them shipped to my buddy in NH.
We then transferred them over cold beers and cigars while watching the kids shoot the crap out of stuff going through a big bag of ball bearings........[smile]

It's been a number of years since I was in a Dick's but the one in N. Attleboro had an end-cap with slingshots for sale back probably 6-7 yrs ago when I was last there.

So I'm in Basspro shopping with my wife sat night and she mentions that she always wanted to Try a slingshot. I ask and come to find out they are illegal in Mass. I ask in front of crossbows which anyone can buy and are a hell of a lot more deadly. I point this out and the guy starts laughing. I can buy a weapon that shoots a arrow bolt at high speed with almost no noise out for what, 50 to 75 yards but I can't sling a ball bearing five yards without going to jail. Got to love this state

If you had a slingshot that only throws something 5 yards I feel sorry for you. In my youth we could routinely send projectiles many times that distance. Fishing sinkers and ball bearings were pretty epic.

-Mike

If you have a machinegun license and a C&R license, the mailman can bring you a C&R machinegun but he can't bring you a slingshot. Makes perfect sense.
Do you make shit up for fun?

Machine guns can't be transferred under a c&r
The mailman can bring you a slingshot
No, your post doesn't make perfect sense.

My expertise with gun law is on "conventional guns" not Class III stuff, so this statement has me curious for the facts and I'm not doubting you.

It was my understanding that a C&R machine gun can be transferred by using the C&R FFL after receipt of the tax stamp from the Feds (so a copy of the Fed paperwork would have to be sent to the C&R FFL prior owner). I know that USPO bans shipping machine guns, but I don't think that FedEx or UPS bans shipment.

So here's my NON-expert belief of the process - you'd pay the other person for the gun, get the paperwork signed off by your chief, pay the $200 tax, wait for the Fed tax stamp and then go pick it up directly from the other C&R FFL or have them ship it to you once you send them your Fed paperwork showing approval.

Am I correct or would you please elaborate?

Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale So I can own one but I can't make one. It list Sling Shot by name.
"slung shot, sling shot, bean blower"

Last edited:
Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale So I can own one but I can't make one. It list Sling Shot by name.
"slung shot, sling shot, bean blower"

You are correct.

As a kid a very long time ago we used to make sling shots from fallen tree branches. Bean blowers were the byproduct of glass bending in chemistry class in high school. Some folks suffered in our classes held after chemistry. Today we'd all be felons and PPs for those things.

You are correct.
As a kid a very long time ago we used to make sling shots from fallen tree branches. Bean blowers were the byproduct of glass bending in chemistry class in high school. Some folks suffered in our classes held after chemistry. Today we'd all be felons and PPs for those things.

As soon as the shop teacher left the room we'd head for the band saw and crank out sling shots out of maple. Went behind the gas station for old tubes. Rocks were OK but a bag of marbles...death on streetlights.
We made pea shooters out of TV antennas. As soon as the teacher walked out of the class split peas would be flying.
Kids today would be in court charged with assault.

Do you make shit up for fun?

The mailman can bring you a slingshot
No, your post doesn't make perfect sense.

Machine guns totally can be transferred under a C&R, looks like you need to reread the regs. You still need a form 4.

I think blowguns are also illegal here in MA, but I may be just blowing hot air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom