slingshots are illegal too

wdemr67

NES Member
So I'm in Basspro shopping with my wife sat night and she mentions that she always wanted to Try a slingshot. I ask and come to find out they are illegal in Mass. I ask in front of crossbows which anyone can buy and are a hell of a lot more deadly. I point this out and the guy starts laughing. I can buy a weapon that shoots a arrow bolt at high speed with almost no noise out for what, 50 to 75 yards but I can't sling a ball bearing five yards without going to jail. Got to love this state

A sling, though, the spin-over-your-head type, might not be illegal. now you are back to the 50 yard range. The MGL bans "slungshot" whatever that is.

Haven't yet heard of any NH dealers refusing to sell this to MA residents...

Apparently online retailers haven't figured this out, they only list Rhode Island and Augusta, ME as restricted shipping destinations in NE.

Anybody making the "full BATFE" shopping trip up to Hooksett, I saw a couple models of slingshot at Bass Pro, ten bucks for the cheapest.

So those things I made as a kid were illegal? Come on teachers union & Pols... Gotta step up the indoctrination.

Thankfully this kid doesn't live in MA, or does he?
BartSimpsonSlingshot.PNG

Where I grew up in south Florida, the ice cream man sold them off of the truck.
Displayed right up there next to the marshmallow cigarettes and plastic cap guns.
Miracle I made it as far as I have.

Don't forget about zoobows. Zoobows are actually listed by name as being illegal, though I have never been able to find out what it is (they are?) and my best google-fu just reveals they are illegal in Massachuestts.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Don't forget about zoobows. Zoobows are actually listed by name as being illegal, though I have never been able to find out what it is (they are?) and my best google-fu just reveals they are illegal in Massachuestts.

I'm pretty sure you just used a racist slur, you bad bad man!

Don't forget about the dreaded klackers!

I thought you just had to be over 18, like with pellet guns.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A guy I know ordered on off of ebay and they shipped it to him in Ma. Just saying...

Read the whole Chapter269: Section 12 it list Slung Shot, Sling Shot and Bean Blower by name.
Except
that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used. What club or association conducts sporting events where sling shots are used?

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

Last edited:

Don't forget about the dreaded klackers!

They are one and the same. AKA nunchucks/nunchaku

zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather

The state law only bans slung shot, not slingshots. (Sling shots are banned from manufacture or sale, but not possession) There is a difference between the two. Slung shot is "shot" (basically lead shot) in a bag (or rope with a weight on either end), similar to a blackjack (which was a sailors tool, as was a zoobow best anyone can tell). You all know what sling shots are, and they aren't blackjacks or monkey's fists. That law was put in in the 1880s when we had a significant dockyard and sailing shipyard industry here. All of these guys working the docks would use their tools as weapons ala; Gangs of NY style.

Last edited:
If you have a machinegun license and a C&R license, the mailman can bring you a C&R machinegun but he can't bring you a slingshot. Makes perfect sense.

A sling, though, the spin-over-your-head type, might not be illegal. now you are back to the 50 yard range. The MGL bans "slungshot" whatever that is.

A slungshot is a maritime tool consisting of a weight, or "shot," affixed to the end of a long cord often by being wound into the center of a knot called a "monkey's fist." It is used to cast line from one location to another, often mooring line.

Back
Top Bottom