• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slingshots in Massachusetts

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't slingshots banned in MASS?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a Boy Scout Leader and I happened to mention that I am pretty sure they are illegal in MASS. He said that may be but that they allow the Cub Scouts to use slingshots at a local Scout summer camp in Mass. He said they have to abide by all the laws in Mass and that since they allow slingshots they cannot be illegal to use.

What is the story on slingshots?

I would love to know the history behind this MGL and why it came to being.

Archery can be practiced in one's own backyard.. but a slingshot .. Oh No! .. Archery tackle takes big game all the time... Fred Bear once took a Grizzly with a longbow.. I've never heard of anyone
attempting that with a slingshot! Not even Jorge Sprave..

Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't slingshots banned in MASS?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a Boy Scout Leader and I happened to mention that I am pretty sure they are illegal in MASS. He said that may be but that they allow the Cub Scouts to use slingshots at a local Scout summer camp in Mass. He said they have to abide by all the laws in Mass and that since they allow slingshots they cannot be illegal to use.

What is the story on slingshots?

Everything is banned in Mass! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBdpINm9UBU

I had one when I was younger.

They sure spit rocks out at a high velocity.

I'm surprised they are banned though, they are MA compliant, low capacity at 1 round mags.

I had one when I was younger.

They sure spit rocks out at a high velocity.

I'm surprised they are banned though, they are MA compliant, low capacity at 1 round mags.

They aren't.

Many things yes, but not sling shots.

I would love to know the history behind this MGL and why it came to being.

Archery can be practiced in one's own backyard.. but a slingshot .. Oh No! .. Archery tackle takes big game all the time... Fred Bear once took a Grizzly with a longbow.. I've never heard of anyone
attempting that with a slingshot! Not even Jorge Sprave..

You can use them in your backyard, unless there is a town ordinance or your yard is too small to do so safely.

Funny, I see people selling Wrist Rockets all over the gun shows. Picking one up a next time I see one.

Obligatory "Slingshot Guy" video we've all probably seen

Last edited by a moderator:
24914bff28f5d3b4657367c74739c2cf.jpg

Some assembly required.

I originally took this photo because of the absurdity of someone buying a stick, but I'm getting a little more mileage out of it.

This message brought to you by the letter T and the number 9.

I seem to recall this coming up a few years ago and we were discussing slungshots vs slingshots. Now both are included in MGL, as are straws.

That is the chapter cited above, which only bans sale and manufacture. The ban on possession (in public) applies to slungshot, not slingshots.

I guess the legality of posession depends on the interpretation of the arresting officer.. I had a conversation with the the LEO Sgt. in my town a couple months ago and his opinion was "Definitely illegal to possess". The Chief concurred.

Zoobows are also banned. [rofl] I'm still trying to figure out what the **** a ZOOBOW is. The only place I've ever seen this word is in MGL.

-Mike

So it is the sale of them that is banned not the possession or use ?

That is the chapter cited above, which only bans sale and manufacture. The ban on possession (in public) applies to slungshot, not slingshots.

From: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12
Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale...
Agreed. You can own and use them. You just can't make or sell them (don't tell Amazon that though [wink])

BTW, a "slungshot" is a blackjack. A leather bag on a cord filled with lead shot. Sort of like a dead-blow hammer for the head.

Last edited:
I guess the legality of posession depends on the interpretation of the arresting officer.. I had a conversation with the the LEO Sgt. in my town a couple months ago and his opinion was "Definitely illegal to possess". The Chief concurred.

Yes, LEOs will arrest and prosecute on whatever they THINK is the law, regardless of whether or not there is any such law. That is a given. Been happening for years and will continue to happen.

The rule is to NEVER ever ask any LEO if something is legal or illegal. 99% of the time you will get the wrong answer and maybe 1% of the time you'll get an honest "I don't know" answer.

------------------------------

It's been a number of years since I was in Dick's in Attleboro, but I recall seeing numerous sling shots for sale on peg-boards there as well as replacement parts and ammo for them

I stole this from another forum but it sums up the Zoobow issue very clearly........

The law is poorly punctuated, but it seems that a zoobow is meant to be the same sort of weapon as a nunchaku: "...nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather..."

Emergency legislation? Well, the early 1970s saw the sudden popularity in the US of very cheap martial arts movies from Hong Kong. They were badly dubbed and had ridiculous sound effects, but they also exposed American youth who didn't have martial arts training to a variety of Asian weaponry. It wasn't really my thing, but I remember some thuggish youth carrying homemade nunchucks (as we called them). I suppose the Massachusetts legislators were panicked by the sudden popularity of these weapons and so passed a law against carrying them.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting.... (1974)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwg033Ze3Lk

Back
Top Bottom