• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small .45 for CC

In God We Trust

NES Member
I just got a G-36. It’s about the same size as my G-19 and I am looking for something a little slimmer for daily carry. I had a Springfield XDS in .45 and while the size was nice, the slide bit my hand when I shot it.

Any suggestions?

I'd stay away from the S&W 3" 1911 with the Scandium frame. Beautiful gun but they give a good snap due to the alloy frame. Don't get me wrong, mine has performed flawlessly and it shoots accurate but I want something I can control better for shots 2 and up if I need them. After a few shots it is not fun anymore. Your wrist will feel it.

For something in that caliber, you really can't be the 36. I have the 30 and other compacts/subs, and always go back to that. OWB/IWB. You're really not going to get smaller than that frame for that round. It's great to carry as well.

I know it's heavy but the Sig 245 fills a nice gap for me. I shoot it really well and don't need a winter coat to conceal it. Pretty heavy but that makes follow up shots very fast for me for such a small pistol. If I want something smaller and lighter than the 245 or G19 I usually go to the scandium J frame 357. Really comes down to preference, just make sure you can get lead on target and who cares about the other details.

I had a SW Shield45 that I liked quite a bit. It was the performance center version so already had a decent trigger. It was more handfilling and controllable than the 9mm shield and yet slim and light. Foolishly sold it off along the way for some reason.....

For something in that caliber, you really can't be the 36. I have the 30 and other compacts/subs, and always go back to that. OWB/IWB. You're really not going to get smaller than that frame for that round. It's great to carry as well.
Yeah, I think I’m just gonna have to get used to my sagging pants. It’s a nice gun, I just wish it was a little lighter and slimmer.

If you can find one and don't mind the DA/SA trigger an S&W CS45 might work for you - slimmer, but probably not much lighter.

SW-CS45-Right-Side.jpg

I’ve got a 30 that I typically carry, haven’t handled or shot a 36 before.

I got a shield .45 in trade that you’re welcome to try out if you’d like, it’s a slim pistol for .45 and actually shoots pretty nice. If I remember right you’re located in Townsend? I live in town and am a member at the TRGC

I've yet to find a gun that's reliable, I'm looking at you Diamondback, that is smaller than the Kahr's in their respective calibers. Their 9's, 40's and 45's are all really good at getting small in that brand

Back
Top Bottom