small handgun safe - all suck?

qwerty53

Banned
Hi,

maybe I don't understand something but it seems that all safes are going for the wrog of purpose.

the most important thing in the safe is usablity - being able to open it whenever you need to without any drawbacks. All the safes i could find have batteries that you need to rememebr to change or they are powered from the outlet in the wall.

all this is prune to failure. the power could go off or cut off and the battaries could die.

is there a safe that works from power and charges a BUILT in (or if I could put myself)a rechargable battery? then there is nothing that can go wrong.

and please do not tell me to get meanihcal safe. it is very slow to open and impossible at night. i want something like fingerprint...

any thoughts?

I find it funny that someone with the username of qwerty has so much trouble using the keyboard.

Anyways, mechanical is the way to go for a lock that you want to open quickly without having to worry about the batteries being charged. Something using a Simplex lock can be opened by touch (no light needed) once you've practiced putting in your code enough times.

I wouldn't put any faith in a safe that uses fingerprints to open. I don't quite think that technology is far along enough to be as reliable as you seem to want it. Not to mention, there's the whole issue of, again, needing batteries or a power source.

and please do not tell me to get meanihcal safe. it is very slow to open and impossible at night. i want something like fingerprint...

Mechanical safes are NOT slow. Think outside the box.

As far as the "fingerpint" goes... biometrics are worse than pretty much everything else in terms of speed.

-Mike

Finger print is the worst system ever.... Just get a standard Gunvault and call it a day. I have had 3 of them for a couple years now and use them multiple times a day and have never ever had a problem with any of them.

Mechanical safes are NOT slow. Think outside the box.

As far as the "fingerpint" goes... biometrics are worse than pretty much everything else in terms of speed.

-Mike

Yep, Had the Biometric gun vault and got rid of it. The mechanical one is way faster

Try a key?

Batteries in a safe dont die quickly, its not like theres a constant drain on them, get a good set of batteries and theyll last 3-5 years. As others said theres the gunvault, I just got one for the car and it seems more than sturdy enough to take a beating and you can either get a key open or combo open one.

I've used fingerprint readers. They are anything but fast and repeatable. I would never trust my life on one.

Simplex locks work. You can open them in just a couple seconds, even in the dark. Yes, they aren't terribly secure, but any of these small safes can be opened with a big screwdriver:

http://www.vlineind.com/html/top_draw.html

I have a Mini GunVault next to my bed... and it's still using the same set of batteries since 2007.

Wow, must be something wrong with mine. I have never got more than 6 months out of new, brand name batteries. That is with testing it once a week.

The only reason for a box like that is to satisfy safe storage laws and to keep little kids out. It won't deter a criminal with any brains / experience from stealing your pistol while you're not home, and will only slow down your reaction to a home intruder. Just keep one in your bedroom for "legal purposes," and put your pistol in the nightstand when you're home.

Yup, excellent advice

Some years back, the editors of a magazine (Women and Guns?) dragooned my friends kids into a test. I believe the eldest was about 12. The brought in several different handgun boxes and asked the kids to try to break into them. They responded "no" when the eldest asked if he could use his dad's Sawzall [laugh]. Even without the Sawzall, they got into all of them relatively quickly with a screwdriver.

I'll second that. I have the same one. It's very sturdy and having been using the same code for a while it's very quick to open.

Thirding this. I have one too and its a great little safe. No electrical power relied on just simple mechanical buttons for easy access. You can make the combo include more than 1 button pressed at once as well which is neat.

Wow, must be something wrong with mine. I have never got more than 6 months out of new, brand name batteries. That is with testing it once a week.

Same here...3-6 months average and that's opening it once a week on average.
Replaced it witha Sentry Safe a year ago and have not needed to replace the battery yet.

Replaced it witha Sentry Safe a year ago and have not needed to replace the battery yet.

Gunvault: 4-5 years with mine never had to change a battery - speaking of I think I may just put in a new set :)

Some years back, the editors of a magazine (Women and Guns?) dragooned my friends kids into a test. I believe the eldest was about 12. The brought in several different handgun boxes and asked the kids to try to break into them. They responded "no" when the eldest asked if he could use his dad's Sawzall [laugh]. Even without the Sawzall, they got into all of them relatively quickly with a screwdriver.

This ^^ they do all suck, and consequently I'm not spending a ton of money on one.

I got these for about $30 www.downzerotraining.com

Gun Vault NanoVault 300.
Gun Vault NanoVault 300.

Available in:
Item Number:

GVNV300
MSRP:

$50.95
Your Price:

$29.99 + Shipping 91SkXpJkC7L._AA1500_.jpg
Gun Vault NanoVault 300. Measures 9 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 1 3/4". 20-gauge steel construction. Built specifically to store and transport larger valuables such as GPS units, MP3 players, cell phones, wallets, jewelry and more. Set your own three number combination. Top and bottom lined with 1/2" thick memory-fitting foam. Supplied with 1,500 lb. test security cable. When cable is wrapped around any fixed object and slipped over the lock receiver inside the security box, both the NanoVault and any valuables inside will be securely attached. Easily fits in bag, briefcase or under vehicle seat. Meets TSA airline firearm guidelines. Hang packaged.
Weight:

2.95lbs
Country of Origin:

USA

In Stock

Last edited:
I got these for about $30 www.downzerotraining.com

Gun Vault NanoVault 300.
Gun Vault NanoVault 300.

Available in:
Item Number:

GVNV300
MSRP:

$50.95
Your Price:

$29.99 + Shipping View attachment 19779
Gun Vault NanoVault 300. Measures 9 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 1 3/4". 20-gauge steel construction. Built specifically to store and transport larger valuables such as GPS units, MP3 players, cell phones, wallets, jewelry and more. Set your own three number combination. Top and bottom lined with 1/2" thick memory-fitting foam. Supplied with 1,500 lb. test security cable. When cable is wrapped around any fixed object and slipped over the lock receiver inside the security box, both the NanoVault and any valuables inside will be securely attached. Easily fits in bag, briefcase or under vehicle seat. Meets TSA airline firearm guidelines. Hang packaged.
Weight:

2.95lbs
Country of Origin:

USA

In Stock

ETA: They are not on the website yet. Just let me know if you want one.

I did a ton of research on pistol vaults a fee years back. The fort Knox is the way to go
Simplex locks are super fast
No batteries
It's twice as thick as all of the other pistol safes I could find at the time

Looking around online and asking around it seems someone always has an issue with the electric models
I don't know if they're flukes or bad QC but I don't want to be the guy that can't open his pistol safe when he needs it because the electronics are messed up

I used to know a guy from NH named Timber, funny bastard, used to be in to four-wheeling. [smile]

anyways yea, I was going to BTT and ask about good biometric safes, but I guess the verdict is in for the time being.

Looking for something in-wall, or in floor, maybe put other valuables in. Anyone out there at all have good luck with the biometric safes? or stick with the tried and true?

Gunvault
Fort Knox

Any other quality names out there I should look at? I don't mind paying extra $$$ for something that's a little more well built.

R&D Enterprises made some nice handgun safes but they have been gone for a while now. Super thick steel, simplex lock and padded.

On 2 years with the batteries in my gunvault, use about 5-10 times per day.

I have a R&D Enterprises with the simplex lock the thing is made like a tank with 1/4'' thick steel for the door and welded up to the max.
To bad there out of business now.
Should of bought 3 more while I could.[thinking]

[rofl]

What's going on Reggish?

Welcome!

Still want to punch me in the face? [smile]

LOL, holding a grudge like a steel trap? I don't even remember wanting to punch you..I was young, filled with piss and vinegar back then. Doing well here. Still got the orange CJ?

I guess I've decided on the Fort Knox case, they seem to be the best, USA made and all that. [grin]

Just picked up one at Bass pro. four buttons with a 5 digit code, batteries inside but has two terminals on the outside so you can
touch a 9v battery to power up in a pinch.
paid around $40

The Simplex mechanical pushbutton locks are decent quality, but really only good for casual security. There are only something like 1082(*) combinations, and you can generally find a combination via exhautive enumeration in well under 50% of that search space by putting more likely combinations (quintuple presses, combinations bot involving any double pushes, combinations involving only two buttons, etc.) later in your search order. This can be fine for quick access, but I wouldn't want to live a rugrat alone with one of these for hours of button pushing.

(*) - each button on a Simplex actually advances the wheelpack 2 quanta. You can have combinations like "2-(3&4 halfpress)-5-3halfpress. The "halfpress" on the second use of 3 in this example is redundant, since the previous use of one of the two quanta associated with wheel 3 means a full press will only advance it one, rather than two, units. Half Press mode vastly increases the number of combinations possible, but is left out of the documentation since it requires more dexterity to set up and use, and Simplex is probably afraid of effor code 1D-10T.

The Simplex mechanical pushbutton locks are decent quality, but really only good for casual security. There are only something like 1082(*) combinations, and you can generally find a combination via exhautive enumeration in well under 50% of that search space by putting more likely combinations (quintuple presses, combinations bot involving any double pushes, combinations involving only two buttons, etc.) later in your search order. This can be fine for quick access, but I wouldn't want to live a rugrat alone with one of these for hours of button pushing.

(*) - each button on a Simplex actually advances the wheelpack 2 quanta. You can have combinations like "2-(3&4 halfpress)-5-3halfpress. The "halfpress" on the second use of 3 in this example is redundant, since the previous use of one of the two quanta associated with wheel 3 means a full press will only advance it one, rather than two, units. Half Press mode vastly increases the number of combinations possible, but is left out of the documentation since it requires more dexterity to set up and use, and Simplex is probably afraid of effor code 1D-10T.

Another thing to be careful about with simplex is that the very last thing that happens in the mechanical movement is the resetting of the lock.

On some of their lock styles it is possible to press in your code, open the lock, and never turn the handle to the point of reset.

You walk away believing it is secure, and now all it takes is a turn of the knob.

That said, I love them! Use them alot at work and have integrated a few into ammo cabinets and such.

Another thing to be careful about with simplex is that the very last thing that happens in the mechanical movement is the resetting of the lock.

On some of their lock styles it is possible to press in your code, open the lock, and never turn the handle to the point of reset.

You walk away believing it is secure, and now all it takes is a turn of the knob.

That said, I love them! Use them alot at work and have integrated a few into ammo cabinets and such.

THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Single stall men's room after an NFL Sunday!
Think Ace Ventura (?)
[laugh][shocked]

Just picked up one at Bass pro. four buttons with a 5 digit code, batteries inside but has two terminals on the outside so you can
touch a 9v battery to power up in a pinch.
paid around $40

I assume that you got the Boyts: how has it been holding up? I am thinking about buying one of these or something like this for my bedroom because although I have a gun box I do not want to have to fiddle with a key especially in the dark. I want something that I can put my new streamlight and pistol together for night time reactions that I can open in a hurry even if it is dark.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom