Smells Like Teen Spirit was released 29 year ago, today

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I happen to look this song up on Wikipedia when it played on Amazon Prime. Damn... 29 years ago! (I was in college).

Does that make it a legit "classic rock" song?! Not sure if I've heard it on ZLX. Funny some of the songs I hear on ZLX these days! Just getting old, I guess.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to look this song up on Wikipedia when it played on Amazon Prime. Damn... 29 years ago! (I was in college).

Does that make it a legit "classic rock" song. Not sure if I've heard it on ZLX. Funny some of the songs I hear on ZLX these days! Just getting old, I guess.
Wow

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Does that make it a legit "classic rock" song?! Not sure if I've heard it on ZLX. Funny some of the songs I hear on ZLX these days! Just getting old, I guess.
They've been playing grunge for years now.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Imagine what Nirvana could have been. Grolh has amazing talent. Something that wasn't explored fully before Cobain's death. Their collaboration could have been absolutely epic.

But he was already down that rabbit hole before Grolh even got there. :( It was not meant to be.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imagine what Nirvana could have been. Grolh has amazing talent. Something that wasn't explored fully before Cobain's death. Their collaboration could have been absolutely epic.

But he was already down that rabbit hole before Grolh even got there. :( It was not meant to be.
Dave Grohl may have never become what he is today though. After Cobain's death, he started the Foo Fighters basically as a means to fade off into obscurity. He's even said in interviews that the name was meant to be a joke and if he thought the band would have any level of success, he'd have chosen a better name.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That's the day the music died. For me.

No offense to those of you who think grunge was the second coming of Mozart, but people screeching and murmuring into mics was never my thing. Nirvana was bad, Pearl Jam was worse, Jane's Addiction was worst.

It took my musical sensibilities a long time to recover from the early '90s. I do tend to like what Grohl has done since, though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I wonder about this from time to time. If Cobain hadn't killed himself, would Grohl have ever felt the need to step out from behind the drums? The guy is an amazing drummer and has turned into an equally amazing songwriter and frontman. I'm not sure those skills would have ever developed in the context of what Nirvana was. Who knows maybe he would have developed as a solo artist while keeping the Nirvana truck rolling or maybe they would have eventually broken up and move on separately and the Foo Fighters would have still come into being.....

The 21 year old me absolutely hated Nirvana. Back then I blamed them for the death of hard rock/heavy metal. Today the 50 year old me understands that the 80's Hard Rock/Heavy Metal genre's didn't need any help from Nirvana to nail that coffin shut. It was played out and there was nothing new coming down the pike to keep it going. And Over the last several years, I have discovered a deep appreciation for Cobain's song writing. And... if it were not for the grunge era, I question whether a band like Pantera who almost single handedly carried the heavy metal flag through that grunge era would have gotten any traction at all.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

No offense to those of you who think grunge was the second coming of Mozart, but people screeching and murmuring into mics was never my thing. Nirvana was bad, Pearl Jam was worse, Jane's Addiction was worst.

It took my musical sensibilities a long time to recover from the early '90s. I do tend to like what Grohl has done since, though.
I'll take Nirvana and Jane's Addiction over all the stuff that Grohl has been pumping out since. Something about the Foo Fighters and his other projects never sat well.

toekneepea

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember seeing the video on MTV when it was first released - back when MTV played music videos. Was in college.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Yeah but stp .. soundgarden were tremendous and the bands the spun off to velvet revolver and Audioslave were great too. And the foo fighters are pretty damn good. Not the worst thing to happen to music

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Huge Nirvana fan here. Collected all the bootlegs, live CDs, videos, was on internet forums for Nirvana, etc. I was obsessed. Never saw them live (they were in Springfield MA November '93, nothing after). SLTS was a life-changer. Can't believe it's been nearly 3 full decades. That's like going from 1955 to 1985. Haven't resonated with any other band since them (although Pearl Jam is great too, saw them 16 times).
I disagree but I see where you're coming from. I think the early 90's impact had a lot to do with the generational change. Just a couple years before, dudes were wearing neon spandex wearing makeup and dressed like women making "pop metal". It ruled the airwaves, but something just didn't sit right with the kids. Then came the Seattle scene: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Pearl Jam. They exploded on to the world simultaneously. Just like that, those 80's hair bands looked like complete idiots and disappeared off the planet. The youthful angst resonated very powerfully with generation X. You can say their music was bad etc., but there's no denying that they filled a huge void. I was 10-11 years old at the time, and got hooked on all that stuff.
Turns out he was lying when he was singing about not having a gun.
LOL (I think very few people here get that line)

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Holy f***, I’m old.
I was never into Nirvana, PJ, etc.
Always more an STP, Soundgarden type fan.
I found a Spotify station that has all 90's alternative stuff. Such a trip down memory lane: RHCP, Pumpkins, Green Day, Radiohead, NIN, Weezer, Sonic Youth, Bush, Faith No More, Silverchair, Incubus, Collective Soul, etc. Good stuff on there.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They really do have a bunch of great songs. SLTS is what put them on MTV but there’s lots more.
The one thing that really separated Nirvana apart, were the RARE and unreleased songs. So much good stuff. They just kept discovering more and more. Their unreleased catalog was bigger than their released stuff.

Top Bottom