Smells Like Teen Spirit was released 29 year ago, today

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the day the music died. For me.

No offense to those of you who think grunge was the second coming of Mozart, but people screeching and murmuring into mics was never my thing. Nirvana was bad, Pearl Jam was worse, Jane's Addiction was worst.

It took my musical sensibilities a long time to recover from the early '90s. I do tend to like what Grohl has done since, though.
Totally agree. I hated all grunge. It killed all the good 80's hair metal bands. I curse Nirvana to this day.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I litteraly went from MC Hammer to Nirvana at the age of 9.

Fist time I heard them was when I saw the MTV premier of Smells like Teen Spirit. I was at my neighbors house who was 12.

I had finally found what real music sounded like.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I disagree but I see where you're coming from. I think the early 90's impact had a lot to do with the generational change. Just a couple years before, dudes were wearing neon spandex wearing makeup and dressed like women making "pop metal". It ruled the airwaves, but something just didn't sit right with the kids. Then came the Seattle scene: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Pearl Jam. They exploded on to the world simultaneously. Just like that, those 80's hair bands looked like complete idiots and disappeared off the planet. The youthful angst resonated very powerfully with generation X. You can say their music was bad etc., but there's no denying that they filled a huge void. I was 10-11 years old at the time, and got hooked on all that stuff.
Yeah, but I was a senior in high school when grunge arrived. I still had zits. I should have had max angst. But nah. It didn't resonate with me one bit, probably because I felt like grunge was nothing but pain and despair devoid of musical skill. For a kid who liked clever lyrics and clean guitar work, grunge offered nothing but permission to wear flannel and mope a lot.

Different strokes, different folks. I understand how important Nirvana was. They just weren't my bag. And I still miss the '80s. "Cobra Kai" FTW.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'll take Nirvana and Jane's Addiction over all the stuff that Grohl has been pumping out since. Something about the Foo Fighters and his other projects never sat well.
Agreed. I'm a fan of the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Faith No More and Nirvana's "Bleach" album. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the beginning of the end. I've always thought Foo Fighters sucked. Fun Fact: Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill broke into Kurt Cobain's apartment as a prank and spray painted "smells like teen spirit" on the wall. That's where the album title came from. Bikini Kill is like one notch too screechy/riot grrrl to me now that I'm older but I still love Le Tigre. There's a documentary about her on YouTube.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I found a Spotify station that has all 90's alternative stuff. Such a trip down memory lane: RHCP, Pumpkins, Green Day, Radiohead, NIN, Weezer, Sonic Youth, Bush, Faith No More, Silverchair, Incubus, Collective Soul, etc. Good stuff on there.
That's every day at work for me. The boss is 50 and loves the early 90's alternative stuff. I was early teens and lived on a skateboard so it was my lifestyle music as well. It's gets a bit repetitive but it could be worse.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I litteraly went from MC Hammer to Nirvana at the age of 9.

Fist time I heard them was when I saw the MTV premier of Smells like Teen Spirit. I was at my neighbors house who was 12.

I had finally found what real music sounded like.
Exact same for me, though I was a more of a Vanilla Ice fan (I regret nothing).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whenever Twisted Sister is brought up today, people laugh. But if you listen to The first 2 records today, Under The Blade and You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll and even the Songs on Stay Hungry that weren't hits, a lot of those songs hold up today. Good old fashion Rock. And Dee is the hardest working front man you will ever see live. Right up until he put the make up away and retired 'Twisted, he was giving 110% every night and putting front men who are a third of his age to shame.

Inside Out

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Whenever Twisted Sister is brought up today, people laugh. But if you listen to The first 2 records today, Under The Blade and You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll and even the Songs on Stay Hungry that weren't hits, a lot of those songs hold up today. Good old fashion Rock. And Dee is the hardest working front man you will ever see live. Right up until he put the make up away and retired 'Twisted, he was giving 110% every night and putting front men who are a third of his age to shame.
Also, he told Tipper Gore to F off.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wonder about this from time to time. If Cobain hadn't killed himself, would Grohl have ever felt the need to step out from behind the drums? The guy is an amazing drummer and has turned into an equally amazing songwriter and frontman. I'm not sure those skills would have ever developed in the context of what Nirvana was. Who knows maybe he would have developed as a solo artist while keeping the Nirvana truck rolling or maybe they would have eventually broken up and move on separately and the Foo Fighters would have still come into being.....

The 21 year old me absolutely hated Nirvana. Back then I blamed them for the death of hard rock/heavy metal. Today the 50 year old me understands that the 80's Hard Rock/Heavy Metal genre's didn't need any help from Nirvana to nail that coffin shut. It was played out and there was nothing new coming down the pike to keep it going. And Over the last several years, I have discovered a deep appreciation for Cobain's song writing. And... if it were not for the grunge era, I question whether a band like Pantera who almost single handedly carried the heavy metal flag through that grunge era would have gotten any traction at all.
I saw Pantera several times. Great band. RIP, Phil.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Dave Grohl may have never become what he is today though. After Cobain's death, he started the Foo Fighters basically as a means to fade off into obscurity. He's even said in interviews that the name was meant to be a joke and if he thought the band would have any level of success, he'd have chosen a better name.
I wonder about this from time to time. If Cobain hadn't killed himself, would Grohl have ever felt the need to step out from behind the drums? The guy is an amazing drummer and has turned into an equally amazing songwriter and frontman. I'm not sure those skills would have ever developed in the context of what Nirvana was. Who knows maybe he would have developed as a solo artist while keeping the Nirvana truck rolling or maybe they would have eventually broken up and move on separately and the Foo Fighters would have still come into being.....

The 21 year old me absolutely hated Nirvana. Back then I blamed them for the death of hard rock/heavy metal. Today the 50 year old me understands that the 80's Hard Rock/Heavy Metal genre's didn't need any help from Nirvana to nail that coffin shut. It was played out and there was nothing new coming down the pike to keep it going. And Over the last several years, I have discovered a deep appreciation for Cobain's song writing. And... if it were not for the grunge era, I question whether a band like Pantera who almost single handedly carried the heavy metal flag through that grunge era would have gotten any traction at all.
Yeah. Hmmm. I've watched the documentary on producing Nevermind. I think that Dave and Kurt would have gotten together. I think both were done with Grunge and Grunge was ending anyhow. Kurt had an amazing voice and both had great songwriting talent. Dave's got great musical ability as well. And Kurt wasn't trying to hog any limelight. I think it could have been amazing. But we'll never know.

That's the day the music died. For me.

No offense to those of you who think grunge was the second coming of Mozart, but people screeching and murmuring into mics was never my thing. Nirvana was bad, Pearl Jam was worse, Jane's Addiction was worst.

It took my musical sensibilities a long time to recover from the early '90s. I do tend to like what Grohl has done since, though.

It wasn't about the screeching and murmuring. It was a totally different mix of sounds. Some bands were poppy about it - like PJ. Some really just got into the depth of writing the music. Like Alice in Chains. There are some AiC songs that still amaze me today. The keys and chords and such. AiC was not about Layne's voice but Cantrell's ability to mix music together.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Despite being the right age I never got into the Pixies until maybe 5 years ago. I have no idea how I missed them but I'm really glad I finally found them. Tons of great songs. Black Francis is just one of those rare talents.

Where is My Mind made a memorable appearance at the end of Fight Club.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSCgfI3OG7s

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unfortunately, Wave of Mutilation is probably the only Pixies song you will ever hear on the radio. So many other great choices from Doolittle alone.
I've heard "Where is My Mind?" and "Here Comes Your Man" on the radio.

I believe Cobain once called Nirvana a "Pixies rip-off" or something similar.
ETA: "I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band—or at least a Pixies cover band." - Cobain on Smells Like Teen Spirit

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

I believe Cobain once called Nirvana a "Pixies rip-off" or something similar.
ETA: "I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band—or at least a Pixies cover band." - Cobain on Smells Like Teen Spirit
Even more shocking is the fact that Cobain drew influence from the Pixies — an alternative rock band — in composing his “pop” song. “I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band — or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.”

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I didn't live up here in the late 80's and early 90's. I also didn't listen to the radio much until the mid 90's. Oddly, I recently heard Wave of Mutilation on Walmart's in store radio.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Hmmm. I've watched the documentary on producing Nevermind. I think that Dave and Kurt would have gotten together. I think both were done with Grunge and Grunge was ending anyhow. Kurt had an amazing voice and both had great songwriting talent. Dave's got great musical ability as well. And Kurt wasn't trying to hog any limelight. I think it could have been amazing. But we'll never know.

It wasn't about the screeching and murmuring. It was a totally different mix of sounds. Some bands were poppy about it - like PJ. Some really just got into the depth of writing the music. Like Alice in Chains. There are some AiC songs that still amaze me today. The keys and chords and such. AiC was not about Layne's voice but Cantrell's ability to mix music together.
You're looking at it from the standpoint of a musician. I could give a rats ass how talented a band is as long as they sound good. Gene Simmons put it best when describing one of the many guitarists they had over the years. He said how he was not impressed by a guy who could play a million miles an hour. He would rather hit that one cord that would crack your ribs. Grunge to me was awful. Not just the music but the whole depressing scene. Everyone walking around looking homeless in Flannels greasy hair and ugly boots. Five minutes listening to Nirvana and I'm not surprised Cobain blew his brains out.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the first two Def Leppard offerings.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try the first two Def Leppard offerings.
I have and I agree. Great records. I haven't really liked anything they've done since Pyromania. I could never get into that over produced wall of sound thing they started going with. Hate it to this day. But it's kind of hard to argue with the success it's brought them. I just prefer the stipped down sound of the early records.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the 80's metal/rock was played out. I personally know of a couple local bands that were on the cusp of hitting it big but the bad timing of grunge (among some other separate issues) swallowed them up. Metallica single handedly carried the metal flag but Pantera is the band i consider to have officially crushed grunge and never looked back. They had it all. They created a super power metal identity that was a constant party. Metal heads owe a never ending debt of gratitude to that band.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and I agree. Great records. I haven't really liked anything they've done since Pyromania. I could never get into that over produced wall of sound thing they started going with. Hate it to this day. But it's kind of hard to argue with the success it's brought them. I just prefer the stipped down sound of the early records.
Pyromania changed my life musically. But I agree everything they did after was no comparison

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pyromania changed my life musically. But I agree everything they did after was no comparison
The 2 records from the 80's that changed my life are Motley Crue's 'Too Fast For Love' and Metallica's 'Kill'em All' The guitar tone on TFFL is my gold standard for rock guitar tone even now 40 years later. And KEA, I never looked at music the same way after hearing that for the first time.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exce
The 2 records from the 80's that changed my life are Motley Crue's 'Too Fast For Love' and Metallica's 'Kill'em All' The guitar tone on TFFL is my gold standard for rock guitar tone even now 40 years later. And KEA, I never looked at music the same way after hearing that for the first time.
If you liked kill em all check out Wargasm “why play around” They are one of the local bands I was referring to. Damn shame they never made it big.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never caught on with Kill'em All, but I loved Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightening. When And Justice for All came out everyone knew that it wasn't quite the same (loss of Cliff Burton maybe). Couldn't hate it though because it was so effing good!

Last edited:
Top Bottom