Smith and Wesson 19-3 questions?

A coworker of mine is looking to sell me his S&W 19-3 6". I don't really know too much it. It will be my first revolver chambered above 22lr. Is there anything I should look for in this gun? I had a chance to hold it and it looks solid with no noticeable flaws. also, what is a decent value for it. I don't want to screw him over because he is my friend, but on the other hand I don't want to overpay. he was asking 600. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks guys

There are other threads here and on Youtube about checking out a used S&W revolver. One thing they don't always cover is possible gas cutting on the top strap. With the cylinder open, look at the underside of the top strap closest to the barrel. Some of the older .357's were damaged there by hot loads, usually 125 grain. There shouldn't be any shake when the cylinder is closed. If it's clean, tight and feels good in your hand, they are great, classic guns, no longer made. You can shoot .38 all day long and save the .357 for serious stuff. The price may be on the high side, but maybe not, considering the present circumstances.

The Model 19 is one of my all time favorite guns. I have a 19-4 not sure the differance from the -3 is. They are pretty robust guns although not as heavy duty as the newer L frame models. If it seems solid and the cylinder is tight you should be good...best of luck you won't find a better balanced gun or finer shooting revolver IMHO....

That's a great gun and comes with Smith & Wesson's customer support behind it, so I wouldn't worry too much. Give it a wiggle, and note how tight the lockup is. When you dry fire it, be mindful of how smooth the action is. Lacking anything that looks weird, you should be just fine.

The price, however, might be a little high. Look at Gunbroker - there is a 19-3 about to close for $500 with 0 bids. Another one with bids is about to close at $366. If it were me, I wouldn't pay more than $500.

Back
Top Bottom