• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith and wesson revolver help

nstassel

NES Member
This revolver has been drilled into by a criminal. In my experience a j frame will have its serial number on the frame under these grips. Does anyone have an idea what they were trying to remove from the side plate here? I don't have the gun just pictures.

20211021_143819.jpg

20211021_144537.jpg

https://forensicresources.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/SerialNumberRestoration4-14.pdf

8. In the settlement agreement of a law suite against several firearm manufacturers, Smith & Wesson (in 2000) agreed to put a 2nd hidden serial number on its firearms. The 1911 pistol reportedly now has a hidden serial number under the right grip and a micro serial number on the right side. Other steel S&W pistols reportedly have a hidden serial number under the left grip and a micro serial number on the left side. According to Gene Rivera NFEA student, it is necessary to use magnification to see the micro serial numbers.

I'm too lazy to look up the whole statute that was excerpted above.

Q: Is it illegal to have a gun with any serial number defaced,
or is it only illegal to have a gun with all serial numbers defaced?

In this specific case,
is it a wallhack to mill out the damage
and re-engrave the missing number?

I'm too lazy to look up the whole statute that was excerpted above.

Q: Is it illegal to have a gun with any serial number defaced,
or is it only illegal to have a gun with all serial numbers defaced?

In this specific case,
is it a wallhack to mill out the damage
and re-engrave the missing number?
I am assuming that if there is a serial number else where on the gun I can win that charge.

They tried everything to raise a number but couldn't.
They ought to know about the crane numbers...right?

My guess is those were obliterated too...

...unless they stopped looking any further than the drill marks.

"When all you have is a hammer... everything looks like a nail."

which would be hilarious considering the efforts they went to to raise the number.
Someone needs to validate their paycheck. And I'll bet they don't come across "artwork" like that too often...

1634860519958.png

If no one can come up with the answer of whether or not there is a S/N under the grip, PM me. I own one but is not at my current location.
I'll pull the grip and let you know tomorrow...

~Enbloc

1634860905594.png [rofl]

Last edited:
Additional info about this particular style of firearm:

I suspect it is a S&W 360J. Which Carl at Four Seasons in Woburn sold for a short while in 2016, and at a decent price (for the time)

Here's why...

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson 360J Japanese Service Revolver - The Truth About Guns

The 360J’s markings are of some interest and worth briefly explaining since when it hit the US market in 2008 these were unlike any other scandium frame. Of course under the cylinder yoke you’ll find its model designation 360J, and serial number, making these easy to identify. The serial number replaces the S&W logo under the cylinder latch, as the usual location, on the grip frame, would be covered up by the Japanese grip.

The "full-fingered" grip does indeed cover the butt of the frame where the traditional location of J-frame serial numbers were located. Because the numbers were obliterated below the cylinder-release lever this would indicate a 360-J model.

~Enbloc

1634862676789.png

Back
Top Bottom