• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson sw99

A friend has sw99 compact in 9mm thats sits in his safe. He knows I was looking for a carry gun and has offered it to me for a good price. I took it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through and it worked great. This would be my first carry gun, any thoughts?

Get it if you can. This is a great gun and will last you a lifetime and the compact is harder to come by.
The trigger may be a little stiff, but you can't go wrong with this purchase.

Looks an awful lot like a Walther P99. I have no personal experience with the gun, but if the price is good, it feels good in your hand, and you shoot it well I say go for it. What more can you ask for?

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_SW99

The SW99 rendition of the popular Walther P99 is a joint collaboration between Smith & Wesson and Walther. The modified receiver used in the SW99 is supplied by Walther and is manufactured in Germany. Smith & Wesson manufactures the slide and barrel of the SW99 in the United States. Though there are slight variations in aesthetic design, the function of the SW99 is identical to its German-made counterpart

Well, guess that explains it.

Last edited:
The walther P99C AS is an awesome gun. The SW is essentially the same. Grab it, you won't regret it.

I had a Walther P99c for a while. Nice gun.

Ask if you can dry fire it first, the one I shot had a trigger that I could not adjust to. It was a strange heavy, mushy, kind of two stage I didn't like at all. YMMV

Heh. My bad I did miss that. As far as the gun itself it will last you as others have said. I've heard of no issues, if you put rounds down range and liked the feel go for it.

...it was the "anti stress" trigger feature I was referring to.

Last edited:
They're great guns if you like the ergonomics and the funky mid barrel trigger location.

I would trust my life to one.

Thanks for your input guys, I'm still a relative newb so I'm not realy used to any kind of trigger. This one feel good to me. I think I'll go for it.

Back
Top Bottom