• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smokeless Load for 45/70 Sharps (modern)

Agreed with Unique
Tons of loads with it in the old manuals.
Burns clean. Fills the case pretty well too.
I noticed when switching from H4198 to Unique that the volume of 31 grains of H4198 was approximately the same as 12 grains of Unique. Some people like to pick apart small volume charges but don’t take into consideration the lower bulk density of the flake pistol powders filling way more case volume for the charge weight.

one question I have though is why you want to shoot such a heavy bullet? Why not something like a 405 or 345 or even 300gr?

one question I have though is why you want to shoot such a heavy bullet? Why not something like a 405 or 345 or even 300gr?
Because I'm already shooting it with a Black Powder load.

Unique is very versatile but IMR 4198 or 4227 is the ticket if you don't have a bunch of barrel to burn a slower powder.
CAS has really brought these cartridges back.
Thanks for the compliment, Andrew, but I owe the credit of the furniture design to Reinhart Fajen.
Marty Ebbinghaus at Haus of Arms is providing a similar design these days.
Here's one of mine
375 Excessive.JPG

I dont see the heavy bullets listed for Hodgdon H4895. They cap out at 400 grains in my book.
If your just looking for accuracy you could go with lighter bullets and H4895 which also can be reduced per hodgdons Directions. With the H4895 reduced method you would be down in the 1000fps range I would think

45/70 trap door data
Hodgdon 400 grain cast.
H4895
.458"
2.540"
14,900 CUP
18,900 CUP

theres just a lot to do with this cartridge....I may have to poke around for a 45/70 lever action...
Hi Jerry in bc Canada have a pedersoli sharps want to shoot 500 grain bullets h 4895 seems to be good have u tried any rounds like this and how much powder do u use

iu

Back
Top Bottom